Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: July 9th, 2020 in Hidalgo County Texas

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: July 9th, 2020 in Hidalgo County Texas

So jess for fun they just added Tropical Storm Warnings. And it was over 100F again today, the 26th such day this year.

Passed 10,000 new cases in this month alone and there were 33 more deaths.

All quiet on the Governor Front.
    Last edited by jar; July 23rd, 2020 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks

I just read on CBC that the US is now averaging more than 2,600 new cases an hour, which is the highest in the world. That's an almost explosive growth. I sure feel for you guys down there.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

And here we were pointing fingers around the world. Now all fingers are at us. Some middle fingers, too.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I just read on CBC that the US is now averaging more than 2,600 new cases an hour, which is the highest in the world. That's an almost explosive growth. I sure feel for you guys down there.
    Actually, given the backlog in testing, the States are almost surely averaging much more than that.

Thanks

And we are also under a Flash Flood Advisory for the next three days. Something about when it rains?

Thanks

I have experienced two hurricane eye events, one when I was fairly young. It began with absolute terror as trees blew down and rain was going horizontally and the whole row of houses were shaking and water was pouring in through the coal chute into the basement. Then suddenly total quiet, total calm. Dad took us all out side and the birds were singing and not a cloud above but a black or white wall all around the neighborhood; white where the sun hit the clouds and black in the other direction. Soon dad hurried us back inside and the wind hit again. It didn't get stronger, it simply went from dead calm to blowing stuff away.

Last night was much better. Power had just come back on so I made an espresso, Cuban style, turned computer on and went to the local radar site. Finished the espresso and turned lights back off and went back to sleep.
    Last edited by jar; July 26th, 2020 at 09:56 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 26th, 2020), Ole Juul (July 26th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,368 Times in 3,979 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I have experienced two hurricane eye events, one when I was fairly young. It began with absolute terror as trees blew down and rain was going horizontally and the whole row of houses were shaking and water was pouring in through the coal shoot into the basement. Then suddenly total quiet, total calm. Dad took us all out side and the birds were singing and not a cloud above but a black or white wall all around the neighborhood; white where the sun hit the clouds and black in the other direction. Soon dad hurried us back inside and the wind hit again. It didn't get stronger, it simply went from dead calm to blowing stuff away.[/COLOR]

Last night was much better. Power had just come back on so I made an espresso, Cuban style, turned computer on and went to the local radar site. Finished the espresso and turned lights back off and went back to sleep.
    That's how we experienced hurricane Irma except we only dared to look through the window of our hotel room when the eye was directly overhead and it was all quiet between the North wall and the South wall..
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 31st, 2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

During Hurricane Hazel, I went to the backyard as the eye passed. It was windy, but nothing like what hit after. I remember the rain, especially.

Meanwhile, Covid-19 grinds on. In NYC, we have passed through the worst, but worry that it will return. Young people seem drawn to cluster in bars -- moths to the flame, or the bug-zapper. Cases up in New Jersey. Given the population density in NYC, and in the NY-NJ-CT metro area, there is, always, the loom of a backwash from other places or from the virus that has not completely been obliterated.

I follow the daily stats from places where kids and cousins now live, and from Texas. No kidding. Spent four years bouncing to Killeen and back, with visits to Austin and San Antonio. The numbers show Texas as a whole, so it's hard to follow Hidalgo County.

Stay safe, Jar. I'm sure you are doing everything right.

My hope is that we live through until there is an effective vaccine. My sad hunch is that the US will reach 200,000 dead by November.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    During Hurricane Hazel, I went to the backyard as the eye passed. It was windy, but nothing like what hit after. I remember the rain, especially.

Meanwhile, Covid-19 grinds on. In NYC, we have passed through the worst, but worry that it will return. Young people seem drawn to cluster in bars -- moths to the flame, or the bug-zapper. Cases up in New Jersey. Given the population density in NYC, and in the NY-NJ-CT metro area, there is, always, the loom of a backwash from other places or from the virus that has not completely been obliterated.

I follow the daily stats from places where kids and cousins now live, and from Texas. No kidding. Spent four years bouncing to Killeen and back, with visits to Austin and San Antonio. The numbers show Texas as a whole, so it's hard to follow Hidalgo County.

Stay safe, Jar. I'm sure you are doing everything right.

My hope is that we live through until there is an effective vaccine. My sad hunch is that the US will reach 200,000 dead by November.
    I remember Hazel well.

I'm hunkered down. Go out only when necessary. Order groceries online with curbside pickup so they just bring stuff out and put it in the trunk. I go out to pick up medicines at the drive through and medical appointments are on the phone. The vampires in my doctors office though claim they are starving. I told them that they can take my blood right after they give me the vaccine but not until then.

What truly pisses me off is that so much unneeded death has already been be scheduled. We will start seeing the deaths from the July infections next month and unless we stop the spread of infections the death toll will only keep growing.

On my trip to the store today I passed gyms that are open and families not wearing masks entering restaurants with indoor dinning and people out jogging wearing no masks and barber shops open ...

All Quiet on the Governor Front!
    Last edited by jar; July 31st, 2020 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    That's how we experienced hurricane Irma except we only dared to look through the window of our hotel room when the eye was directly overhead and it was all quiet between the North wall and the South wall..
    That's so freaky to me. Truly in my nightmares. Kind of one of my phobias.

Thanks

Today is the last day of July.

On May 1st 2020 the Governor chose to open up for business and made the decision that deaths and sickness were preferable to telling people they must behave in a civilized manner.

During March, April, May and June we had a total of 3982 known cases of Covid-19 and had 32 deaths.

In March and April we had 46 known cases and 5 deaths.

May and June we had 3936 new cases of Covid-19 and 26 deaths.

During July alone we had 12,924 additional known cases and recorded 615 additional deaths.

We will begin August with hospitals over filled, medical staff exhausted, short on supplies and having to use makeshift facilities like Convention Centers with open wards of up to 250 beds. Oh and refrigerator trucks as morgues.

FEMA should start showing up to assess Hanna losses and we still have thousands of homes flooded and thousands of homes without power.

All Quiet on the Governor Front.
    Last edited by jar; July 31st, 2020 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks

How very sad, jar, and utterly infuriating. Stay safe.
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

Thanks

We made it through one week of August. We are under a Stay-at-Home order but the Governor still will not allow that order to be enforced.

So how well is that working?

In the first week of July we saw 1700 new Covid-19 cases and there were 58 deaths recorded.

The first week of August saw testing severely curtailed due to Hurricane Hanna but there were still 2528 new cases and 146 deaths.

All Quiet on the Governor Front

We still have areas that are under water and the Governor has not declared that it is high enough monetary damage to bring in FEMA Flood Relief.

Last edited by jar; August 8th, 2020 at 06:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Why call it an "order"? The politicians always do their best to have it both ways.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Why call it an "order"? The politicians always do their best to have it both ways.
    Because that is strongest thing the local judge can do. It's the Governor of the State who then says that such orders cannot be enforced. It makes it clear exactly where the responsibility lies.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Because that is strongest thing the local judge can do....
    Oh, a judicial order, not an executive order. Then my point doesn't apply, although it would be interesting if you file a petition in the Hidalgo County court to have the governor (probably immune) and the local authority (sheriff, ranger, county executives?) held in contempt.

Thanks

Because that is strongest thing the local judge can do....
    Oh, a judicial order, not an executive order. Then my point doesn't apply, although it would be interesting if you file a petition in the Hidalgo County court to have the governor (probably immune) and the local authority (sheriff, ranger, county executives?) held in contempt.
    Interesting but likely futile. The true issue is that the Rio Grande Valley (and interestingly most of the hardest hit areas in Texas) are also areas that have seldom supported the Governor. The Governor's stated goal is to keep the hospitalizations and deaths manageable. Open temporary field hospitals in Civic Centers and bring in refrigerator trucks as temporary morgues but don't shut down business.

Thanks

Interesting but likely futile. The true issue is that the Rio Grande Valley (and interestingly most of the hardest hit areas in Texas) are also areas that have seldom supported the Governor. The Governor's stated goal is to keep the hospitalizations and deaths manageable. Open temporary field hospitals in Civic Centers and bring in refrigerator trucks as temporary morgues but don't shut down business.
    I'm not sure whether he means not closing down or restricting any businesses, or if he means ensuring social distancing restrictions and the wearing of face masks in all businesses including but not restricted to restaurants, clubs and bars. If he means the former then he's unlikely to succeed in his stated goal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

I'm not sure whether he means not closing down or restricting any businesses, or if he means ensuring social distancing restrictions and the wearing of face masks in all businesses including but not restricted to restaurants, clubs and bars. If he means the former then he's unlikely to succeed in his stated goal.
    It's a kinda/sorta position.

Businesses have been told they may require masks and social distancing but no individual can be required or punished for not obeying that requirement. The business can be fined but not any individual.

And even the idea of restrictions on gatherings is kinda/sorta. The business has been told to limit occupancy but based on what the business owner considers full occupancy, not what codes or laws or permits say is the allowed occupancy. Plus many of the biggest sources of transmission are exempt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Fingers crossed his kinda/sorta position works.....