Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: July 9th, 2020 in Hidalgo County Texas

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default July 9th, 2020 in Hidalgo County Texas

One thousand, two hundred and seventy-four new confirmed cases today and ten additional deaths.

June was horrific with 3407 new cases reported and 22 deaths. That was nearly unbelievable yet folk partied on.

But so far in July, in just 9 days we added 3252 new cases and 113 deaths. That should be nearly unbelievable yet folk party on.

Since deaths trail infections by 4-6 weeks we are seeing the results of May's infections now.

We will see the deaths from the June infection in another 4-6 weeks and July in September and October.

Everything above is already set in stone. Those already infected are already infected. We cannot change what we have already caused.

And still the local officials are not allowed to shut things down or restrict movement. Not allowed to close the gyms or restaurants or churches.

The Texas Education Administration says
    Texas public school districts must reopen campuses for in-person instruction in August to continue receiving state funding, unless the governor issues a school closure order or a confirmed case of COVID-19 on an individual campus forces a brief shutdown of the building, Education Commissioner Mike Morath announced Tuesday.
    There comes a moment when the magnitude of the event is such that you simply can't understand why anyone cannot see it?

So we continue to condemn more folk to keep the economy going.

The advice seems to be "Learn to live with it."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

oldstoat (August 2nd, 2020), welch (July 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: July 9th, 2020 in Hidalgo County Texas

A point well made.

It was always said that the Science would dictate government response. The scientists have said that we are still in the depths of the virus. The Economy is now the driving force and the scientists are being ignored.

The Testing regime seems flawed, I am aware of people who have been admitted to hospital with all the symptoms and unable to breathe, they recover and are tested before return to work, the test results say that there has been no infection.

Tests of many giving a positive result for the virus remain active in the community now that lockdown is lifted and are free to go to bars, barbers, shopping, restaurants and elsewhere - because their money is needed by businesses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53320155

The graphs we see of new infections do not show the full picture because there is no notification without symptoms.

Will we see a spike in Covid deaths from mid August? I can only hope not.

Thanks

Jar,

If the numbers you quote apply to your county alone, then my jaw drops and I can only commiserate and be thankful that there but for the grace of God go I.

As a German living in the UK, I have to admit to initially having a slight hint of 'Schadenfreude' when comparing the UK's infection and mortality rates to Germany's. But the numbers you quote above just for your area are just mind-boggling (unless Hidalgo County is the size of Belgium).
    I ponder quietly to myself whether there is, and what there is, in the Anglo-Saxon mentality an insistence that 'my right' not to wear a mask, or 'my right' to a blue passport makes people make the most irresponsible of decisions, the repercussions will outweigh and outlast any perceived gain.
    Again, those numbers you quote just blow my mind. I'll be thinking of you.

P.S. keep recording those stats in the chatbox, and anywhere else you can. There seem to be efforts underway here in the UK to making statements on the record, which do not bear comparison to what's really happening and has happened, in the (forlorn) hope that if and when an inquiry comes, that not-quite-truths repeated often enough will become facts. Something which very likely might happen also in your country.

Take care, and stay safe
    Last edited by HoarderHoarder; July 9th, 2020 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

jar I am so sorry to hear this and feel concerned for you and your family. Those numbers are startling indeed.
    If you have people in your County going out and about and carrying on their businesses as normal when they have symptoms, and no-one in charge is taking any steps to help those who don't have symptoms, then clearly your only choice is to ensure you protect yourselves by following recommendations that you know have already worked for other people.

This is the regime we're currently following and it's working for us:

If one of you has to go out then assume everything in public places, where other people are, is contaminated, so wear a mask (if only to prevent you from touching that part of your face), take disposable gloves and hand sanitiser with you, and put on the mask and gloves when you get out of your car. Then do your food shopping as quickly as possible, get your shopping back into your car, after you get in remove your gloves and sanitise your hands, then remove your mask and drive home.

Put everything that has entered your home from outside into one place that you designate as a "dirty" area. Then wash your hands very thoroughly. Then use anti-bacterial/anti-viral wipes to wipe everything from the "dirty" area before it's transferred to a "clean" area inside your home. Then wipe down your own bags, shoes etc in the "dirty" area before transferring them to a "clean" area. Wash your hands thoroughly again after you've wiped everything down and put everything away.

Practice social distancing and please stay safe.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Fermata (July 10th, 2020), tscweaves (July 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Those are dreadful figures, jar. Take all the care you can. We practice the same routines as Chrissy. So far, so good.

Government, here in the UK as well as in the US, works on the basis of wishful thinking now, rather than science. My husband and I are lucky in that he is retired and I work from home so we don't have to pay any attention to government advice about covid-19.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

If there is 1274 confirmed new cases just imagine what the true figure is on the basis that many of the people testing positive have no symptoms, and are therefore carrying on their normal lives and transmitting the virus.

Thanks

This morning the death toll from yesterday was revised from 10 deaths to 20.

Testing is still limited and restricted and the breakdown between public testing and private for profit testing is deplorable. The County population is about 900,000. So far only 60,000 people have even been tested and of those, 58,000 were private testing which means either about $100 out of pocket or the person has insurance. We've only tested about 6% of the population and if the data from major world wide testing are correct and the infection rate is actually 10 times higher than the number of positive tests it's likely that there are nearly 70,000 undetected Covid-19 cases active in the County.

The county is relatively poor and a retirement/Winter Texan base so a large percentage of older more vulnerable people on limited incomes. But the reported infections are mostly in the under 50 age bracket and rising very rapidly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

I've now reached the stage where i find it difficult to believe the total figures from any Country. There are so many variables that we can't get any really accurate figures, and not all Countries are using the same formula when reporting. In a nutshell nobody knows how many cases there are anywhere in the world.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoarderHoarder View Post
    Jar,

If the numbers you quote apply to your county alone, then my jaw drops and I can only commiserate and be thankful that there but for the grace of God go I.

As a German living in the UK, I have to admit to initially having a slight hint of 'Schadenfreude' when comparing the UK's infection and mortality rates to Germany's. But the numbers you quote above just for your area are just mind-boggling (unless Hidalgo County is the size of Belgium).
    I ponder quietly to myself whether there is, and what there is, in the Anglo-Saxon mentality an insistence that 'my right' not to wear a mask, or 'my right' to a blue passport makes people make the most irresponsible of decisions, the repercussions will outweigh and outlast any perceived gain.
    Again, those numbers you quote just blow my mind. I'll be thinking of you.

P.S. keep recording those stats in the chatbox, and anywhere else you can. There seem to be efforts underway here in the UK to making statements on the record, which do not bear comparison to what's really happening and has happened, in the (forlorn) hope that if and when an inquiry comes, that not-quite-truths repeated often enough will become facts. Something which very likely might happen also in your country.

Take care, and stay safe
    Hidalgo County is about a tenth the size of Belgium but is the 8th largest county in Texas. Our population is only about 900,000 compared to over 11,000,000 for Belgium.

Our local government in all of the counties that make up the Rio Grande Valley (actually a flood plain not a valley) know what to do and we were doing quite well until the Texas Governor took charge and said that no locale could impose restrictions greater than what he allowed. He mandated opening with fixed time lines rather than based on any actual reality.

He is still resisting closing down restaurants, gyms, churches, water parks, beauty parlors, barbers, tattoo parlors ...

As I mention above we cannot do anything about those already infected but we are also not doing much to reduce future infections and in fact are prohibited from doing so.

As our County Judge posted yesterday:

“Several months ago, I warned of a potential tsunami if we did not take this more seriously,” Judge Cortez said during a social media briefing involving top county officials. “The tsunami is here.”
    Last edited by jar; July 10th, 2020 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks

jar, I am sorry that you are having to deal with such a horrific spike in cases. I am in Wisconsin, and a few weeks ago my county was in the top 10 hotspots for the country. The government response overall to this crisis so frustrating, along with the individuals who still think it is "just the flu". I cannot even remember how many times I have had to ask people to back away from me when I have been in the stores, and the number of people going out without masks is appalling. My mom is 89 and my brother & I have grounded her from going out, she fusses about it, but that is the way it has to be. My dad contracted the virus in the hospital a few weeks ago and died on June 20th. This is such a scary time in our world. I had a pollyanna idea at the beginning that this would bring us together as a country and I am crushed that I have been proven so wrong. "For the people, by the people" has gone out the door and it seems it is just each person for themself. Please stay as safe and healthy as you can.

Thanks

Down here our Government is actually actively making the issue worse.

For example, even if a person decides the risk of returning to work is too great, they have very little choice. Under our Governor the unemployment eligibility ceases if a company reopens but an employee refuses to return to work. They simply cannot stay home and collect either State or Federal Unemployment compensation unless the meet a very limited list of exceptions.

When businesses start to reopen, if an employee doesn’t feel safe going back, and therefore remains unemployed, can they still draw unemployment benefits?

Each UI benefits case is currently evaluated on an individual basis. However, because of the COVID-19 emergency, the following are reasons benefits would be granted if the individual refused suitable work.
    On June 16, 2020, the Commission took action to clarify guidence to unemployment claimants concerning their continued eligibility for unemployment benefits (UI) should they refuse suitable work.
    Reason for refusal:

• People 65 years or older, and/or people with medical issues, like heart disease, diabetes, cancer, or a weakened immune system, or are at a higher risk for getting very sick from COVID‑19. (Source: DSHS website)
    • Household member at high risk – People 65 years or older or are at a higher risk of getting very sick from COVID-19 (source DSHS website).
    • Diagnosed with COVID - the individual has tested positive for COVID-19 by a source authorized by the State of Texas and is not recovered.
    • Family member with COVID - anybody in the household has tested positive for COVID-19 by a source authorized by the State of Texas and is not recovered and 14 days have not yet passed.
    • Quarantined – individual is currently in 14-day quarantine due to close contact exposure to COVID-19.
    • Child care – Child’s school or daycare closed and no reasonable alternatives are available.

Thanks

2.1% of all the Covid-19 cases reported Nationwide yesterday were in Hidalgo County.

Of the test results returned yesterday 54% were positive.

Thanks

I think I'm happier to be in Wales than in England.

If only I liked beer... https://www.brewdog.com/uk/barnard-c...SAAEgIjV_D_BwE

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 10th, 2020), Stands on Feet (July 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    2.1% of all the Covid-19 cases reported Nationwide yesterday were in Hidalgo County.

Of the test results returned yesterday 54% were positive.
    That's truly jaw-dropping. 5% or less is where you want things to be to allow re-opening. Can you impeach your governor?

Thanks

Has there been any thinking about why the rate is so high?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Absolutely.

First, almost no testing and still only very, very limited testing.

Second, very slow to close and even then, only limited closing and no penalties for not closing.

Third, early reopening and tied to target dates not actual conditions.

Fourth continued refusal to impose return to lockdown or limitations on large gatherings.

Add in cross border influences, multi-generational family units, poverty, lack of insurance, a large percentage of non-English speakers, a culture of extended family gatherings almost every weekend and a extremely large percentage of the population elderly with very high incidence of diabetes and breathing issue and the result really was predictable and inevitable. Add a springtime and being a major destination for "Spring Breakers" from the del Norte and the South just as sprinkles.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 10th, 2020), Fermata (July 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Absolutely.

First, almost no testing and still only very, very limited testing.

Second, very slow to close and even then, only limited closing and no penalties for not closing.

Third, early reopening and tied to target dates not actual conditions.

Fourth continued refusal to impose return to lockdown or limitations on large gatherings.

Add in cross border influences, multi-generational family units, poverty, lack of insurance, a large percentage of non-English speakers, a culture of extended family gatherings almost every weekend and a extremely large percentage of the population elderly with very high incidence of diabetes and breathing issue and the result really was predictable and inevitable. Add a springtime and being a major destination for "Spring Breakers" from the del Norte and the South just as sprinkles.

That looks like the perfect mix for a dynamic spread of the disease.

On a similar basis I could name places that have some or all of the above and they also do not have the virus under control:

a ) housing with three generations

b ) a belief amongst the elderly that if they are admitted to hospital that they will not be given resources

c ) a general rejection by the young of any Lockdown

d ) businesses who carried on trading and a police force that would not intervene

e ) manufacturing and trading businesses that ignored social distancing in the workplace

f ) poor availability of PPE

g ) poor availability of hand sanitizers

h ) Amazingly, a belief amongst some sectors of society that fears about a virus were misplaced and that any health problems were down to 5G masts

Very best wishes Jar, keep well, stay safe.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Jar, I'm just very sorry about all of this and am wishing you the best I can. Please take all precautions and be careful with yourself and family.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

tscweaves (July 10th, 2020)

Thanks

h ) Amazingly, a belief amongst some sectors of society that fears about a virus were misplaced and that any health problems were down to 5G masts

Very best wishes Jar, keep well, stay safe.
    Let me add a few recent additions found on TWIT responses.

The Masks were precontaminated in India and China to destroy the US economy.

The swabs used in the nasal test are actually inserting the virus.

Wearing a mask causes lung stress.

Hospitals are simply labeling people as Covid-19 positive to get more money.

It does not effect productive people, only the old and already with a foot in the grave.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Hospitals are simply labeling people as Covid-19 positive to get more money.
    There are some cases here in western PA where people registered to get tested, left and were not tested, but were called and told that they were positive. An investigation is underway.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.