Thread: Noodler's Polar Green

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Noodler's Polar Green

Noodler’s Polar Green

This is my 2nd Polar ink. I have the Brown already and I’ve just filled a pen with Polar Blue. The inks are not at all similar. Blue is the wettest. I’ve read that the Polar series could be mixed to create a variety of colours.

Green is not my favorite color, especially dark green. However, when I saw swabs of this ink, I knew I would get it. I got a sample just in case and the moment I filled a pen I knew it was my type of ink.

Who is this ink for: For those who like bulletproof inks and can accommodate the ink’s idiosyncrasies and appreciate woolly lines (I do), and live in North America. I honestly don’t think it’s worth the shipping cost for overseas. I’m sure there are other alternatives available.
    Note the woolly line effect happens with a wet, flexed Kanwrite.

When wet, the ink is Emerald Green, then dries to dark green, think boreal forest to sage.

This ink is paper/pen specific. Personally, I really like it with a Kanwrite ultra flex on Midori. I find the combination gives a vintage look. It’s a sage color on Tomoe River but one would need a blotter/copy paper underneath the page as the ink would bleed through several pages.

It’s a bulletproof ink, with all it entails. The flow is not as wet 54 Massachusetts or Polar Blue…., I would say viscous, it reminds me of Kung Te-Cheng in this regard.

People often say that it feathers badly. I’ve been writing pages with it, with different nibs and to be honest, I like the effect. See for yourself....I would not use it on copy paper...

• Pens used: Kanwrite ultra flex – Jinhao 450 – Pilot Metro Fine – Nameless Kaweco type EF fountain pen…
    Note for testing the ink I filled the Pilot Metropolitan with the ink and left it for a couple of weeks to check if it would dry up. It didn’t. Longer periods might need some coaxing. Note the Pilot Fine nib seems finer than the Chinese
    • Shading: A bit only with flex nib on TR
    • Ghosting: Depending nib/ flow combination
    • Dry time: 2 seconds on Rhodia....Longest on TR
    • Bleed through: As above.
    • Flow Rate: Decent. It was least agreeable with a Chinese Kaweco style with an Ef nib….though after a second filling it wrote noticeably better. I won’t recommend it for dry writers…but flow is not wet, nor dry, I would say in between. I would say, when you start writing it might be a shy, but then it flows.
    • Lubrication: Average.
    • Nib Dry-out: It can happen….
    • Start-up: Almost immediate. I noticed some skipping with EF nib.
    • Saturation: saturated
    • Shading Potential: Vaguely on TR
    • Sheen: Nope…t
    • Show-Through: With flex nib and fine wet nibs.
    • Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: On Midori with flex…gives a vintage look…I like it.
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Yes on all nibs… you’ll have a green patina on all your nibs.
    • Staining (pen): Yes it does.I It needs thorough cleaning.
    • Staining (hands): Easy to wash.
    • Clogging: Nope
    • Water resistance: Bullet proof.
    • Availability: Only in bottle.

Note on some scans I've written the type of paper with a greenish ink. It's General of the Armies.... I didn't add a swab as would time, it would revert to blue

Swabs
    POlar Green Swatch.jpeg

Amazon copy paper
    Amazon copy paper.jpg

Midori
    Midori.jpeg

Mnemosyne
    Mnemosyne.jpeg

Tomoe River
    Tomoe River 2.jpeg

Tomoe River 68 gr
    Tomoe River 68.jpeg

Rhodia
    Rhodia.jpg

Rhodia full page writing
    Rhoida full page wwriting.jpg

Please fell free to add, your scans, impressions of the ink. The more the merrier...
    Last edited by Yazeh; June 23rd, 2021 at 09:42 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

junglejim (July 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler's Polar Green

Thanks for this. I like green:-) So far, as I am new to fp & the vast array of inks, I have tried a sample of Noodler's green. It is lighter than the colors you have tested, more to the yellow side of green but for the doodling that I have done with it, I have enjoyed it and I just like the color. I was not sure what to expect from it because I have read that Noodler's inks can be problematic. I have just begun keeping an ink journal and am slowly figuring out what to make note of, so my samples are not as extensive as yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Re: Noodler's Polar Green

Quote Originally Posted by tscweaves View Post
    Thanks for this. I like green:-) So far, as I am new to fp & the vast array of inks, I have tried a sample of Noodler's green. It is lighter than the colors you have tested, more to the yellow side of green but for the doodling that I have done with it, I have enjoyed it and I just like the color. I was not sure what to expect from it because I have read that Noodler's inks can be problematic. I have just begun keeping an ink journal and am slowly figuring out what to make note of, so my samples are not as extensive as yours.
    Yes, Polar Green is darker, I would say, there's almost a grey element to it.... Very peaceful ink, depending on the nib....
    As you will get more samples, you'll realize what type of inks, you like.
    I personally have not found any of Noodler's inks problematic. Yes there a few speciality inks, like KTC and Baystate blue which need proper ink hygiene and appropriate fountain pens (basically fountain pens which can be dismantled).
    But I've realize for each ink there's a pen and paper, if you like it enough.... So enjoy the process and start with samples.... I have too many inks that I won't be using...in the distant future

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

tscweaves (July 10th, 2020)