Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mystery Ink #28 (version 3) and Mystery Ink #29

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Ink #28 (version 3) and Mystery Ink #29

Thanks Chrissy.... I also noted the unusual shade of green, when I wrote on Tomoe River 68gr, quite striking. Plus it's a very easy ink to clean

Thanks

Mi:28: Sorry for my late reply. I started to draft my responses a week or so ago but holidays and childcare got in the way it did give me a chance to do an additional test though, the one with the diagonal paper over the drawing is a time test, to see if the newly drawn lines are any different from the original drawing of the girl in glasses from when I first got the ink. It seems a little darker than her hair but her glasses are still just as dark inconclusive then.
    Pretty mixed views so far from everyone for MI 28. Here are my scribbles. I put it into a JinHao X750 (it's what I had clean but it's actually a really good pen for MI since it's a really nice writer unlike my drawing nibs ).
    Looks like I not the only one who was obsessed with while using this ink. For me it was a nice wet ink, flowed nicely in the pen. It's quick enough to dry that it it's usable to draw with but it's neither waterproof nor washes away with water, somewhere in between. It reacted differently with water on different papers and depending on how quickly the water was added. Looking forward to seeing what the ink is called

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 9th, 2020), Chrissy (August 9th, 2020), junglejim (August 9th, 2020), Pterodactylus (August 11th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (August 9th, 2020), Yazeh (August 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Mi:29: was so different with or without water, it basically washed away so I drew one with ink and wash (and then more ink) and one with lines only and no water. The colour was brown but not a sepeia brown as I'd expected from the bottled ink colour, it was almost a grey brown sometimes. Within one picture it would be different colours, it's tricky to see in the photo but the lines on the man's cheek are almost grey but the thicker ink on the glasses is more brown. This ink also didn't seem to fade with time. When wet the colour was a different colour again, almost a magenta mixture. Such an interesting ink to play with. For this one I used my twsbi go (so managed to splodge it onto my daughters princess duvet so I wont #1 parent when she spots it ).

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 9th, 2020), Chrissy (August 9th, 2020), junglejim (August 9th, 2020), Pterodactylus (August 9th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (August 11th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (August 9th, 2020), Yazeh (August 9th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

I always LOVE your wonderful portraits, suzi01 ---
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

7. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

suzy01 (August 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    I always LOVE your wonderful portraits, suzi01 ---
    Thank you so much Junglejim, I was abit worried I'd forgotten how to draw with a pen since I've been doing so much mixed media and watercolour recently I used the reddit gets drawn references too and the standard overthere is so good

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

It's now time for the ink reveal of our two Mystery Inks!

Mystery Ink #28 is a German ink called Rohrer & Klingner Fernambuk ( Pernambuco). It was named after a rare type of wood that produces this nice pinkish-red color when wood shavings are added to a glass of water. Pernambuco wood is used for custom violin bows, high-end knife handles, and an expensive fountain pen that Graf von Faber-Castell makes.

Link: https://vanness1938.com/collections/...buk-pernambuco

An example of what happens when the wood shavings are added to water:

Link: http://corrieschrijverviolins.co.uk/bows/

Mystery Ink #29 is an American boutique ink called Private Reserve Chocolat. It is a rich, luscious brown, that reminds me of Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate (The British version, not the trashy Hershey USA copy.)

Link: https://andersonpens.com/private-res...k-66ml-bottle/

Well, that's it for now. I would like to thank all of you who participated in this Mystery Ink session and hope you all had fun with it! The next Mystery Ink Series will be announced some time in September, (the good Lord willing). I have already picked out the two colors for MI #30 and #31 and have set them aside.

USPS Mail service to the UK and Canada remains fairly fast & reliable, but my Post Office informs me that anything other than regular letters to the EU are being held at the JFK International Service Center in New York. They then travel, once a month, by Sea Route as containerized cargo to Rotterdam, Netherlands where it is unloaded, goes through Customs Clearance, and then travel by road transport to the destination country. I have sent off a small "test" packet to a friend in the middle of the EU on 05 August to see how long it takes.

***UPDATED*** - My friend has PM'd me that the small packet I sent from California to the middle of the EU has arrived safely on 18 August, so we are currently looking at a travel time of 13 days.

Take care and may you all stay Safe and Healthy.

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; August 18th, 2020 at 11:30 PM.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 11th, 2020), Chrissy (August 11th, 2020), Pterodactylus (August 11th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (August 11th, 2020), suzy01 (August 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Thank you so much for letting me participate, it was so much fun. I really love the colour of MI28, I might have to treat myself to a bottle Really interesting background stories too

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Thanks for doing this. It was really interesting to see everyone's reviews. These two inks seem quite interesting. Had not heard of that type of wood before. Very cool!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

I appreciate so much having participated in this endeavour in these trying times...It has been fun,. I always wanted to try Provate Reserve inks....and another wish realized....and R K is a favorite brand.... 1

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Thank you so much junglejim. I really appreciate the chance to try both of these inks that I might otherwise never have considered trying.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Thanks for hosting this game for us.
    It was an interesting double round.
    Looking forward to the next one.

I own most of the R&K inks but not Fernambuk (yet).
    Lighter red inks are usually not my favorite ones, so I never picked it up before.

All R&K inks are top notch, for me definitely one of the top manufacturer, also a lot of bang for the buck (as they are at least in Europe very reasonably priced).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

Thanks, Junglejim! These two inks have never before crossed my path. It was great fun to be able to play with them.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD