Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex nibs, modern

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Flex nibs, modern

Having read some of the other threads about flexible nibs I've got a bit of a hankering to get back into them. The choices are the FPR version or the Indy-pen-dance version. Obviously the latter is more than 10x the cost of the former, i.e. a significant amount. So I'm kind of hesitating. Had an FPR ultra flex in the cart but didn't press buy.

Anyhoo, I can only find a single video of the Indy-pen-dance nib on Youtube, so would appreciate any personal anecdotes of what this nib is like. Comparisons would be nice too.

Thanks

Default Re: Flex nibs, modern

I’ve had fpr and Noodlers flex pens. I’ve never used the ultra flex from fpr, but the standard #5 on my Himalaya did fine. They ship with a two channel feed so the ink keeps up well. I sold it off but it was a fun pen. I think they are on par or slightly higher quality than Noodlers, but I prefer my Ahab and acrylic Konrad.

I do love the fpr triveni. It’s super well built. I put a Schmidt or bock “Conklin” nib in mind though.

Thanks

Thanks. The intention was to go for a size 6 ultraflex to fit into a pen body I already have.

Quite surprised that it seems that nobody here has any direct experience of the Indy-pen-dance flex nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Is this the one you're talking about?

https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/jowo-flex-nib.html

If so, I have a Richard Binder 14K flex. I reviewed it here along with the pen it's in.

I don't have any of Linda's nibs yet, but as far as I've heard she's ably carrying on the work she learned from Richard (and on her own of course, she's been at it a long time!)

My nib performs as ably as any flex nib I've had.

The other pro-modded nib I have is a Mottishaw. See nibs.com and look at his flex and Spencerian modifications. I got the Spencerian mod on a Pilot 912 FA.
    I'm glad I had 5+ years of practice with flex before getting this nib. It requires an expert-ish hand and performs like a fighter jet.

hope that was helpful, hit me if you have any questions.

also, if you're willing to be vigilant about pen hygiene, a G-nibbed pen from Pierre at Desiderata will do quite nicely. I had to give up on G nibs, I let them sit too long and they rust.

Thanks

Thanks, Tim.

As I am already a fairly regular user of highly flexible dip pens, I feel confident approaching anything that appears on a fountain pen. A while back I had a Desiderata pen, but sold it because I didn't use it enough between episodes of terminal corrosion. Was tempted to buy another as a hobby thing, though not at that price level. A Jowo #6 with a modified ebonite feed for a Zebra G would be a nice plaything.

Mottishaw's mod for the FA nib scares me a bit based on some of the reviews. It sounded like it left the nib in a a more damage-prone state than even the flexiest of steel dip pens. Still, I haven't tried one, so only going by the reviews/cautions of others. I have an FA nib that I don't enjoy enough, and I did reach out to Mark Bacas for mod to make it a thinner point. I actually think that this is all the modification the FA nib needs, as it is already plenty soft enough and I doubt any removal of the nib body material will affect the snap back on it.

Sound like the Linda's nib is the way to go, but it is a significant outlay for a nib, though I daresay it is fully warranted, heh!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; September 25th, 2020 at 11:13 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Is this the one you're talking about?

https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/jowo-flex-nib.html

If so, I have a Richard Binder 14K flex. I reviewed it here along with the pen it's in.

I don't have any of Linda's nibs yet, but as far as I've heard she's ably carrying on the work she learned from Richard (and on her own of course, she's been at it a long time!)

My nib performs as ably as any flex nib I've had.

The other pro-modded nib I have is a Mottishaw. See nibs.com and look at his flex and Spencerian modifications. I got the Spencerian mod on a Pilot 912 FA.
    I'm glad I had 5+ years of practice with flex before getting this nib. It requires an expert-ish hand and performs like a fighter jet.

hope that was helpful, hit me if you have any questions.

also, if you're willing to be vigilant about pen hygiene, a G-nibbed pen from Pierre at Desiderata will do quite nicely. I had to give up on G nibs, I let them sit too long and they rust.
    Moon Pies.......LOL!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (September 26th, 2020)

Thanks

That response is lost on me. Not 'murican you see.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    That response is lost on me. Not 'murican you see.
    I am, and know what a Moon Pie is, but the response is lost on me too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

One more in the "moon pie WTF?" camp.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 29th, 2020), catbert (September 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Another one here. @dneal: I neither know what moon pie nor murican is. Musician? Is a moon pie maybe something to do with music? Jon you're a musician - any ideas?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Another one here. @dneal: I neither know what moon pie nor murican is. Musician? Is a moon pie maybe something to do with music? Jon you're a musician - any ideas?
    I had to look up moon pie — somewhere between a teacake (love the name of the Montreal version) and a wagon wheel?
    'Murican is how non-Americans approximate Americans saying 'American'.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

David, have you maybe considered a Santini flexy or superflexy nib? They are No. 6 size and are made in-house by Santini Italia themselves. I have a flexy (nicely responsive, fairly snappy but not too flexible for my untrained hand) currently fitted in a Franklin Christoph pen body. Mine is a Fine but they do medium and stub flexy too, although from your posts above I would assume you’d be looking at their superflexy.

Santini has very good customer service, in my experience.

https://www.santini-italia.com/gold-...roduction.html

17. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (September 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

So manoeuver has a picture with "Moon Pie" written on paper in his review of a Binder flex nib. Mystery solved.

For our friends who have not experienced a Moon Pie, it's two graham cookies with a layer of marshmallow, covered in chocolate. There are variations, one being a double stack of Moon Pie goodness and another being the Banana Moon Pie.

single_chocolate.png

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    I had to look up moon pie — somewhere between a teacake (love the name of the Montreal version) and a wagon wheel?
    Really? I had absolutely no idea about either. I assumed the latter was a misspell of the word musician. Thank you for translating. If you had not quoted my post I would have deleted it in order to look less stupid.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    David, have you maybe considered a Santini flexy or superflexy nib? They are No. 6 size and are made in-house by Santini Italia themselves. I have a flexy (nicely responsive, fairly snappy but not too flexible for my untrained hand) currently fitted in a Franklin Christoph pen body. Mine is a Fine but they do medium and stub flexy too, although from your posts above I would assume you’d be looking at their superflexy.

Did you just get the nib? Or did it come with the pen?

I've been eyeing the ebonite models, they look very nice to me.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Really? I had absolutely no idea about either. I assumed the latter was a misspell of the word musician. Thank you for translating. If you had not quoted my post I would have deleted it in order to look less stupid.
    Ah, sorry for preserving it like that.

Still, no such thing as a stupid question around here. As Bob used to say over in the other place, we're all bozos on the bus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

Marie, thanks for the heads-up on this one. I was about to pull the trigger on the Indy-pen-dance nib, but will make inquiries (price, lead time etc) of Santini before a final decision. Looks like I may have to write to them as their website does not seem to contain the information I would like.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I still can't find any reference to Moon Pies in the thread, though I know what they are. It is a mystery I plan on letting lie quietly until it fades from memory.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Moon Pies are what an aged elementary school teacher teaching arithmetic uses as examples (I have three moon pies and Johan gives me three more.) Meanwhile the kids are all wondering what in the hell is a moon pie.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 1st, 2020)