Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: problems with Ebay seller engeika

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: problems with Ebay seller engeika

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Has anyone had recent experience with this seller? He seems to have the best price on a pen I want, but I'm not looking for headaches!
    More recent than this thread? No. However, IMHO, you order from Japan to get the best price, and you hope for the best. You will probably not end up with the best price out-of-pocket if there is any problem, and sometimes there is. I've ordered 4 pens from Taizo, and half of them were perfect. The other two were in serious need of adjustment, and one, a cross concord emperor, had an unfinished fine point grind and a crooked emperor tab (not because of the way it was installed but because of the way it was bent in the first place, one bend not quite at a right angle to the ribbon of gold). I had Richard Binder (well, actually turned to be Jim Baer) adjust the first one because I didn't have the skill for it when I sent it in. The cross concord emperor I ground and smoothed the fine point and eventually (long story short) ended up removing the emperor tab. So that was a bit of a loss, but I considered it a bargain not to go through the return process to Japan with accompanying frustrations.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

I have had some issues (in hindsight both parties fault) with Engeika and would actually come to their defence.

Problems happen and they did everything in their power to fix them (went beyond some would say in my case). That's the same for the original poster here, it's honestly not the shop's fault that the postal office rejected the address. Engelica sent it again (I'm assuming they covered the cost of delivery the second time) then refunded the person when this failed. They may have took some time but in the end they got their money back.

As for mhosea's problems above, Engelica didn't make the pens and unlike Hisnibs they don't promise to open or check any pens and like he said, it is from Japan, the negatives of international shipping are like that. I'm from the UK and if I order from the US then I have to swallow this as well.

At the end of the day they are just a shop, taking one box off a shelf and posting it to you is basically all they do. They can't control the postal services or manufacturer defects.
    They can however, replace or refund you but if the prospect of paying for more shipping isn't for you then my advice is that you only buy from brick an mortar shops.

At the end of the day, despite having some issues buying from them, they provide a great service and I will be buying from them again.

Thanks

It seems that I've had more problems with international shipping in the last year than ever in the past. It is true that the risk is always there when buying/selling internationally. However, I have purchased from engeika numerous times without incident. In fact, my experience has always been that shipping from Japan has been less problematic than to and from Europe. I don't know why that is.

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krazyklod View Post
    As for mhosea's problems above, Engelica didn't make the pens and unlike Hisnibs they don't promise to open or check any pens and like he said, it is from Japan, the negatives of international shipping are like that. I'm from the UK and if I order from the US then I have to swallow this as well.
    Yeah, I never even mentioned it to him. I evaluated the issue, decided whether it was a "suck it up and return it" or "suck it up and fix it" problem. In both cases it was "suck it up and fix it". I certainly try to avoid anything in-between those extremes where the pen makes a round trip to Japan and back to me. I bypassed all the full-service Sailor dealers in the US, went looking for the lowest price, and took my chances. So it goes.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Engeika is well-known and dependable. Mentioned fairly often (for an EBay seller) on FPN, where nobody seems to have a complaint. I've bought from him (or her)...had no problems.

Thanks

I've bought one pen from him and it was a flawless transaction.
    Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, this helps.

A follow up question; the site warns they can't anticipate extra charges for taxes/customs. I'm here in the US and wonder if other US buyers have paid these taxes/customs fees? Any ballpark on what they amount to?

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have purchased many times from Japan and engieka, never had to pay anything other than what I paid through eBay, ie the sale price plus shipping.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (December 25th, 2013)

Thanks

A follow up question; the site warns they can't anticipate extra charges for taxes/customs. I'm here in the US and wonder if other US buyers have paid these taxes/customs fees? Any ballpark on what they amount to?
    I have never had to pay anything. I think they routinely waive the import tariff when the declared value is less than $200. But my reading of the online reference suggests that theoretically you could be be charged 2.7% of declared value (plus 0.4 cents each) on a fountain pen from any country where no special treaty/rate applies (e.g. NAFTA, ATPA, etc.).
    --
    Mike

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (December 25th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I wonder if these complaints are a result of having grown too quickly. My own experiences with Engeika are quite positive. There was one error in one of the 8 or 9 transactions I have had with him. It was rectified immediately and I was really surprised at how fast the replacement arrived. He told me to keep the erroneous item, which I then promptly gave to someone who would appreciate it. If I wanted to buy something from Japan, he would be the first place I would try, based on my own experiences.

Thanks

Well. I'm about to find out. I placed an order with them for a Platinum 3776 Celluloid Koi.

Thank you to all here for the very helpful input!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (December 25th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Thumbs up Re: problems with Ebay seller engeika

Well. I'm about to find out. I placed an order with them for a Platinum 3776 Celluloid Koi.

Thank you to all here for the very helpful input!
    You have to post pics when it arrives.

I love that pen and have wanted one for a long time!

If I ever do get one Im going to order the goldfish converter from Nibs.com to put in it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (December 27th, 2013)

Thanks

On December 22nd I placed an order with Engeika for a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 Demonstrator (clear w/ broad nib) and a bottle of Iroshizuku syo-ro. I received prompt acknowledgement of my order and today I received an email confirming the order had been dispatched and providing tracking information. If my past experience with Engeika is any indication, I expect to receive a superbly packed box by this time next week. BTW - the total for the order was $156.35 ($122.85 for the pen; $15.50 for the ink; and $18.00 for shipping). Had the goods totaled $299.00 or more, shipping would have been free.
    Last edited by Robert; December 26th, 2013 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks

Good to know. I don't want to be kicking myself because I went for the best price! Still awaitig tracking #.

Thanks

Does anyone know if Engeika still sells Pilot pens? I can't find them on his site. I know he had to take the prices down not long ago, but I don't see them on there at all now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chad.trent View Post
    Does anyone know if Engeika still sells Pilot pens? I can't find them on his site. I know he had to take the prices down not long ago, but I don't see them on there at all now.
    You have to log in to see them. Silly but that's how they work.

Thanks

Getting nervous. Ordered on the 25th, still no tracking number. Sent an email...

Thanks

Getting nervous. Ordered on the 25th, still no tracking number. Sent an email...
    I'm sure all will be well, VertOlive. My order, placed December 22nd, was hung up in U.S. Customs in Chicago for 4 days, but cleared today, which means I should have it in hand by the end of this week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I'm sure all will be well, VertOlive. My order, placed December 22nd, was hung up in U.S. Customs in Chicago for 4 days, but cleared today, which means I should have it in hand by the end of this week.
    Did you have a tracking number sent to you? I haven't got one yet and they did debit my paypal account...

Thanks

Did you have a tracking number sent to you? I haven't got one yet and they did debit my paypal account...
    Yes, the tracking number was provided in the email from engeika confirming dispatch of my order. The same email provided a link to Japan's Express Mail Service.