Thread: The Pen Market in the Time of a Pandemic

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default The Pen Market in the Time of a Pandemic

On a relatively recent thread, probably several different ones, it was mooted that the pandemic was likely to drive prices of pens down. Lots of complicated reasons for it, such as retailers suffering cash flow issues and so on. That said, I've not really noticed this happening, and it seems that at the higher end prices may even be going up - perhaps for the same reason?

There's also something else I don't really understand. In a competitive market pen sellers are going to be price takers, their prices are going to reflect what the market dictates, but on eBay (as an example) there are sellers who act as though they are price makers , even though they are not a monopoly and are still in a competitive market. I feel that I am missing some important analytic point here; if someone would like to illuminate that would be great.

Thanks

Default Re: The Pen Market in the Time of a Pandemic

Pen prices on ebay seem low and there are bargains to be found, I am not buying right now - along with many - and this is probably the reason for the bargains.

Quite why this should be is a mystery, especially as many have time on their hands, perhaps people remain pessimistic or they don't want to bring the virus through their front door, perhaps some people are concerned about their future with thousands losing their jobs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I suspect I haven't been tracking prices with any degree of accuracy or persistence, and perhaps that is why I haven't noticed a substantive change. Thinking of P51s for example, the price range still seems as broad as before, and with the same general mix of sellers. Having said that, perhaps the sale prices on auctions are lower? Again, not really checked.

Reason for asking: someone elsewhere mentioned this market shift, but I can't see it happening. Possible reason for this: I am a bit unobservant?

Fermata, your post makes me think along another line. In general, who are the people selling on eBay? What I mean is, are they retired enthusiasts, people with full time jobs but selling on the side, or perhaps people making a living selling stuff? Maybe it's not possible to know this, but I do ponder on it at times.

Thanks

I think there will always be a strong market for Parker 51s.

I have seen Parker 61s sell for around 30% discount from the price just six months ago, in fact all of the usual suspects seem to have a reduced number of bids and achieve a lower final price than I would have expect, it is a buyers market just now and I think this comes down to worries for the future. Pay cuts are in place for many, sometimes as much as 20%, each day there are reports of companies making thousands of people redundant, there is every anticipation that there are going to be huge costs to be passed to the taxpayer and buying vintage pens is not a neccessity.

Not a great time to sell a pen and, for many, not a good time to be buying either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 805 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Not a great time to sell a pen and, for many, not a good time to be buying either.
    I believe this sums it up. No statistics, no hard evidence. Just intuition based on observation and people's priorities for survival.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Unrestored pens seem quite expensive. I only buy Mabie Todd these days and they always fetch a good price but they continue to creep up.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 4,778 Times in 1,152 Posts

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

amk (July 13th, 2020), carlos.q (July 13th, 2020), manoeuver (July 13th, 2020), Ole Juul (July 13th, 2020), usk15 (July 15th, 2020)

Thanks

I've found more bargains in the first six months of this year than in all of 2019. Pens seem to be out. Bicycles are in though - I've seen prices and demand go way up on vintage bicycles. Thankfully I've got what I need by way of bicycles and not looking to add to that side of things any. The outdoors is in this year.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (July 26th, 2020), Xyrium (July 24th, 2020)

Thanks

I'm seeing some crazy prices (France and UK). I think maybe some people are trying to get whatever they can to help cash flow, and maybe don't really want to sell but are prepared to do so at 3x the price the paid. These high prices don't seem to be coming from the regular pen merchants.

OTOH I have found some nice modern Pelikan and Platinum bargains, but I've had to look very hard for them.

Thanks

To the point about eBay sellers setting high prices, I believe you need to look at the difference between asking price and what things actually sell for.
    A number of sellers seem to be trying to push the perception of luxury by jacking up their asking prices by a good deal. I guess there are enough uninformed buyers out there (who don't understand how to search eBay much less use Google) to justify that kind of practice, but I don't get it. For the stuff I keep an eye on, it seems like there are things priced reasonably that sell and things priced exorbitantly that just cycle through and then reset the countdown clock because nobody is buying them.

Thanks

I’ve experienced no issues with the pandemic.

Thanks

I look at eBay all the time and I haven't seen a what I would consider a "good" price on a vintage pen in ages. People are putting Buy Now prices on used, unrestored, pens for the cost of what a fully restored one would go for at the top of the price market.

Last year, it took persistence, but I had almost no trouble getting ahold of Parker 51s for $40-$60 unrestored. I don't think I've seen one for less than $80 in months.

Thanks

There are fewer and fewer auctions on eBay and more and more inflated listings. Plus sales tax. eBay has outlived its usefulness.

Even on the pen sites and reddit there are fewer average Joes selling pens and relatively more dedicated dealer types. I’ve been avoiding the post office , which keeps me from selling pens.
    Last edited by guyy; July 15th, 2020 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks

Luxury watches such as Rolex, Patek and others have taken a hit, both in purchases and production. However, the reduction in production will likely result in inflated prices for hot ticket items given the demand will be there but with less products available. I suspect the luxury fountain pens will follow a similar path.

Thanks

I don’t think the issue is production so much as distribution. A lot of the pens people here are chasing aren’t made anymore anyway.