Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever seen a tool for unscrewing the torx screw inside a Bohème cap?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone ever seen a tool for unscrewing the torx screw inside a Bohème cap?

Wiha 29590

Thanks

Default Re: Has anyone ever seen a tool for unscrewing the torx screw inside a Bohème cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Thanks Wile, these are fairly easy to obtain. But they are male torx ends. I need that shape outline on the inside of a tube to go all of the way around a torx topped screw with an extending rod built into the centre. A female torx.
    I guess I should have read the whole thread. What you're looking for is a T handle E-Torx nut driver and they're not that inexpensive ($10-$60 USD). They have a thin wall socket on the end and don't flare like a 1/4" bit does.

You could try to match the size to a regular torx driver then get the appropriate size. One way to do this is to take a small tube, place a piece of clay in the end to make an impression and match to a regular torx bit.

If it's possible, you could also measure the point to point distance and get the correct size.

You could also try Wreck Tools

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Those annoying external torx "E-types"! (No, not Jaguar.) An E6 is certainly too large (my E6 is 8.9mm O.D. across and 5.5mm point-to-point). Apparently the smallest that's readily available is an E2, measuring 1.42mm point-to-point. Measure the inside diameter of the cap against the outside diameter of available drivers, anticipating that you'll have to remove some of the drivers' circumference walls to fit down inside the cap, a job for a machinist and his lathe. When the tool costs more than paying to have the pen serviced once, is it a wise investment, especially if you have to buy more than one to find the right size? After all, several drivers may have to be turned down to fit inside the cap to enable you to finally determine which is the right size.

I wonder if Dale at Pentooling already offers something. He likes custom pen tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post

I guess I should have read the whole thread. What you're looking for is a T handle E-Torx nut driver and they're not that inexpensive ($10-$60 USD). They have a thin wall socket on the end and don't flare like a 1/4" bit does.

You could try to match the size to a regular torx driver then get the appropriate size. One way to do this is to take a small tube, place a piece of clay in the end to make an impression and match to a regular torx bit.

If it's possible, you could also measure the point to point distance and get the correct size.

You could also try Wreck Tools
    Thanks Fred. You saved me from buying one that's too big. I've looked on Dales website but nothing similar is listed. Not sure I will ever get one.

Wile, I've considered trying to get some moulding stuff down there to get the right size but am a bit scared of getting it stuck.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 26th, 2021 at 02:51 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Wiha 29590
    I'm not sure I know what this is?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Everywhere I look, E4 seems to be the smallest size available, which is 3.8mm The problem is they are all 1/4" drive which I am guessing is too big to get inside the cap. I checked with one of our suppliers and he pointed me to this but I still think the neck may not be long enough. https://www.grainger.com/product/46C...B&gclsrc=aw.ds I tried looking for an E2 version with no luck.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; April 26th, 2021 at 04:16 PM.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Wiha 29590
    I have a set of miniature Torx nut drivers and the box says Wiha 29590 but google thinks those are hex head drivers Might be #76490 but that one is out of stock.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

What E-torx sizes are marked on each of those miniature drivers in your set?

Thanks

Wiha 29590
    I have a set of miniature Torx nut drivers and the box says Wiha 29590 but google thinks those are hex head drivers Might be #76490 but that one is out of stock.
    Even Wiha thinks that's a nutdriver set.

Thanks

Here's an outside the box idea...get the corresponding Torx screw, epoxy it into a metal tube and make your own e torx driver.

Thanks

Here's an outside the box idea...get the corresponding Torx screw, epoxy it into a metal tube and make your own e torx driver.
    Which size?

Thanks

Which size?
    Do you have the cap in question?

Thanks

Which size?
    Do you have the cap in question?
    No. Chrissy does.

Thanks

I have the cap. Are you saying I can make some corresponding ridged shapes on the inside edge of a metal tube that will make it slot over the Torx screw?
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 27th, 2021 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks

Wiha 29590
    I've had no trouble at all finding Hex nut drivers or spinners. The problem is finding Torx nut spinners especially when I don't know which size the Torx screw is.

Thanks

I know these seem cheap and of questionable origin, but these may work: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142647611544

Also, try searches that focus on tools for electronics/computers, as you may have more luck finding what you want/need.

I also found some thin-walled sockets on this tool company's UK site: https://eumro.co.uk/eumro-tx-3406-ap...thin-wall.aspx

Hope something turns up for you soon!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    I know these seem cheap and of questionable origin, but these may work: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142647611544

Also, try searches that focus on tools for electronics/computers, as you may have more luck finding what you want/need.

I also found some thin-walled sockets on this tool company's UK site: https://eumro.co.uk/eumro-tx-3406-ap...thin-wall.aspx

Hope something turns up for you soon!
    Thanks. The cheap ones on ebay are Hex nut drivers, so no good. The Eumro ones are Torx but all too big. I need a smaller one E-4 probably.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 27th, 2021 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks

I have the cap. Are you saying I can make some corresponding ridged shapes on the inside edge of a metal tube that will make it slot over the Torx screw?
    No, I am suggesting getting a screw that requires the regular torx driver, then using that screw as a driver for the e torx screw in your cap.

This can be glued into a tube and used as a wrench. There are better methods, but would require significantly more work and this would provide a quick easy solution.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (April 27th, 2021)

Thanks

...This can be glued into a tube and used as a wrench. There are better methods, but would require significantly more work and this would provide a quick easy solution.
    Agreed. Of course, the head of the screw has to fit down the length of the cap, so choose wisely to make the spanner. Take the cap to the hardware/ironmongers to drop them in. Oops! One gets stuck!

Chrissy simply needs Farmboy's info on his external E-torx mini-driver set.

Thanks

...This can be glued into a tube and used as a wrench. There are better methods, but would require significantly more work and this would provide a quick easy solution.
    Agreed. Of course, the head of the screw has to fit down the length of the cap, so choose wisely to make the spanner. Take the cap to the hardware/ironmongers to drop them in. Oops! One gets stuck!

Chrissy simply needs Farmboy's info on his external E-torx mini-driver set.
    I called our distributor for tools...the E Torx drivers are 'not in stock' with 'no estimated back order'.

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Has anyone ever seen a tool for unscrewing the torx screw inside a Bohème cap?

Oops! on the ebay mistake... missed that they were Hex even though I did a "Torx" search.

EUMRO does make an E4 size in their 1/4" Square Drive Sockets. Not sure it will work due to its shape/size for your pen opening but... they do taper down. Check them out here: https://eumro.co.uk/apex-square-driv...ets-eumro.aspx

Here: https://eumro.co.uk/apex-1-4-square-...all-eumro.aspx
    or Here: https://eumro.co.uk/apex-1-4-square-...ews-eumro.aspx

I also located this set, which has a flexible shaft that may be useful. It's a bit pricey and the smallest is E4 so if you need something smaller, it won't help, but even so, worth a look: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTA-Tools-8.../dp/B07CZRRN51

Here is the manufacturer's website link: https://www.ctatools.com/index.php?r...roduct_id=1746

Best of luck! Wish I owned a Bohème pen to measure... challenging with a tapered opening to figure out what size/shape will work.
    Last edited by Kismet; May 3rd, 2021 at 08:59 AM.