Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever seen a tool for unscrewing the torx screw inside a Bohème cap?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Has anyone ever seen a tool for unscrewing the torx screw inside a Bohème cap?

I think I once saw something that looked like a torx E type female socket on the end of a screwdriver that might have worked to unscrew the torx screw down inside the Bohème cap. It's possible I might have dreamt it but wondered if any of you repair experts out there have ever managed to unscrew the screw inside a Bohème cap?

So far I've tried extra long E torx sockets but even the 1/4" version fouls at the opening of the cap and won't reach down inside as far as the screw. Apart from getting the right E socket then grinding it down on the 1/4" end I can't think of any other way of getting this screw loose so if anyone has ever done it and has some sort of a tool for doing it please let me know. Thanks.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Default Re: Has anyone ever seen a tool for unscrewing the torx screw inside a Bohème cap?

Could it be a "Torx nut driver" you saw? For example.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Has anyone ever seen a tool for unscrewing the torx screw inside a Bohème cap?

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Could it be a "Torx nut driver" you saw? For example.
    Yes that's the type of thing I saw. Thank you. There doesn't seem to be a way to buy that set online.

Thanks

Hi Chrissy

There is an ebay seller who offers Torq nuts drivers in T4, T5, T6, T7, T8, T10, T15, andT20, the set costs £8.33 inc postage and the tool has a long shaft for getting to the end of the cap.

Have you had a look on Screwfix, they often have less common tools.
    Last edited by Fermata; July 16th, 2020 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

This is the screw head you see inside the cap?

Thanks

I think it will be Fred, Chrissy was looking for a female fitting at the end of the tool.

I am thinking of a miniature socket on the end of T bar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    This is the screw head you see inside the cap?

Yes that is the torx screw head that is inside the Bohème cap. Apart from the fact that the Bohème version has a rod sticking out of the middle of it. So the nut would need to be hollow.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 16th, 2020 at 09:51 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    I think it will be Fred, Chrissy was looking for a female fitting at the end of the tool.

Thank you but Fred is correct. I am definitely looking for a female socket fitting on the end of the tool. It's probably E6 size but I can't be sure as I haven't been able to get anything in there to measure it and I don't know the exact sizes of the sockets.

I have tried specific tool manufacturers in the UK. None of them has any female torx socket tools on the end of anything like a screwdriver shaft. The set that grainweevil suggests looks like it might contain something that might possibly work, but it comes from China and it might be a hex end not a torx end.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 16th, 2020 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks

This must be the one I originally saw.

Sadly it's in the US and in the Global Shipping programme. Not a possible purchase while I'm at home.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 16th, 2020 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Thank you but Fred is correct. I am definitely looking for a female socket fitting on the end of the tool. It's probably E6 size but I can't be sure as I haven't been able to get anything in there to measure it and I don't know the exact sizes of the sockets.

I have tried specific tool manufacturers in the UK. None of them has any female socket tools on the end of anything like a screwdriver shaft. The set that grainweevil suggests looks like it might contain something that might possibly work, but it comes from China.
    Yes I thought he was, when I was saying about a miniature socket I was thinking about the sort of tool you would need. There is an ebay seller with delivery in 3 days, my concern would be that the socket could be a bit fat to fit inside the cap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEMALE-TO...-/261864619215
    Last edited by Fermata; July 16th, 2020 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks

I have tried specific tool manufacturers in the UK. None of them has any female socket tools on the end of anything like a screwdriver shaft. The set that grainweevil suggests looks like it might contain something that might possibly work, but it comes from China.
    Yes I thought he was, there is an ebay seller with delivery in 3 days, my concern would be that the socket could be a bit fat to fit inside the cap

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEMALE-TO...-/261864619215
    Yes bought a similar set that's extra long. However they are not long enough on the rod in front of the 1/4" shaft. The 1/4" diameter shaft fouls at the cap edge.
    The E6 end needs to be about 90ml long before it gets to the 1/4" shaft.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 16th, 2020 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks

That looks certainly like a Torx driver, and I'm wondering if you managed to buy one and where. I had a friend who gave me his, but it was messed up and old making it impossible to work with. Most of the tools have been acquired with really thorough searches and market comparison as I tend to avoid overspending on such luxuries or necessities. Call them what you want but I'm the tool scout when it comes to finding real bargains; be it a chain saw or a screwdriver there is only one place I go to!
    Last edited by Orlybag; January 8th, 2021 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orlybag View Post
    That looks certainly like a Torx driver, and I'm wondering if you managed to buy one and where.
    No I've never managed to buy one mainly because I don't know what size I need.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 6th, 2021 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks

I assume this might be the kind of thing you need? They do seem to be out there, but not cheap and not common.

Exchange and Mart used to have pages of cool tools, back in the day. I'd probably try any retail establishment with tool catalogues. Halfords might be the easiest. Torx are also used in computers, but are pretty darn small in that case.

Also, you might consider seeing if you can get a loan of the right tool from any place which might have it. Often a couple of quid for a cup of coffee can save a lot of grief. If there is a technical college nearby, they tend to have everything because the folk working there love tools :-)

Good luck,

Ralf

Thanks

Spammer reported

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orlybag View Post
    That looks certainly like a Torx driver, and I'm wondering if you managed to buy one and where.
    No I've never managed to buy one mainly because I don't know what size I need.
    Not knowing the size ,you could get a set of precision torx drivers. I like the Wiha drivers since they have a fairly long shaft and the front of the handle is tapered enough to fit into tight spaces.
    Last edited by Wile E Coyote; April 26th, 2021 at 05:13 AM.

Thanks

Thanks Wile, these are fairly easy to obtain. But they are male torx ends. I need that shape outline on the inside of a tube to go all of the way around a torx topped screw with an extending rod built into the centre. A female torx.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

So, I use this set in my line of work https://amzn.to/3aFX1YV (sponsored link) and it has an extension handle that comes in handy for tight spaces. I have been able to undo that style of nut with a bit in my set that looks like a fork. I just don't know if it would be the right size for your needs.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I believe the fork type screwdriver used to work in previous Bohèmes. But This is the kind of hex nut tool I'm searching for. If it didn't have to have Global Shipping that almost doubled the total price I would have bought it. He won't ship it by 1st Class International. I already asked. Also, I don't know what size it is nor what size I need.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (April 26th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Those annoying external torx "E-types"! (No, not Jaguar.) An E6 is certainly too large (my E6 is 8.9mm O.D. across and 5.5mm point-to-point). Apparently the smallest that's readily available is an E2, measuring 1.42mm point-to-point. Measure the inside diameter of the cap against the outside diameter of available drivers, anticipating that you'll have to remove some of the drivers' circumference walls to fit down inside the cap, a job for a machinist and his lathe. When the tool costs more than paying to have the pen serviced once, is it a wise investment, especially if you have to buy more than one to find the right size? After all, several drivers may have to be turned down to fit inside the cap to enable you to finally determine which is the right size.

I wonder if Dale at Pentooling already offers something. He likes custom pen tools.