Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Basic ‘must have’ tools for restoration

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Basic ‘must have’ tools for restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    I see that DC Min is not doing restoration for the foreseaable, his need to buy the basic list could be a factor, I dunno.
    Whatever DCMin is doing now or in the future he asked the question: There must be more than a few FPG’s out there who are into restoration. If someone with the desire (and prerequisite skills) wanted to try restoration as a hobby, what’s the first, say, 10 tools that one would need in their kit?

He didn't even say whether or not he was talking about himself as a prospective repairer. He could be just an interested party asking for 10 basic tools that repairers might use.
    He received good replies naming basic tools.
    Mission accomplished.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 21st, 2020 at 03:24 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 21st, 2020), Jon Szanto (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I see that DC Min is not doing restoration for the foreseaable, his need to buy the basic list could be a factor, I dunno.
    Whatever DCMin is doing now or in the future he asked the question: There must be more than a few FPG’s out there who are into restoration. If someone with the desire (and prerequisite skills) wanted to try restoration as a hobby, what’s the first, say, 10 tools that one would need in their kit?

He didn't even say whether or not he was talking about himself as a prospective repairer. He could be just an interested party asking for 10 basic tools that repairers might use.
    Mission accomplished.

I think you have put a little spin on the original question which I interpret as if I wanted to restore my pens what basic tools would I need?

I concede that my emphasis is on the words Hobby, Basic and First.

In other words not a professional, not advanced and tools to start him off.

He received information on a number of different tools that were, IMHO, not basic and would need a sizeable investment and tools which were a little much for a hobbyist.

I can see that a professional and experienced pen repair person might regard the tools that has been suggested as a basic requirement but that is not the same as a person looking to do pen repair as a hobby, i.e. not professional.

Especially relevant if the person wanted to specialize in modern MB/Pelikan, cartridge pens, P61, Vacumatics and a few others that are outside my knowledge, half the tools are not basic, they are superfluous.

Doesn'y really matter though does it?
    Last edited by Johnny_S; July 21st, 2020 at 04:17 AM.

Thanks

Mission accomplished.

I think you have put a little spin on the original question which I interpret as if I wanted to restore my pens what basic tools would I need?

He received information on a number of different tools that were, IMHO, not basic and would need a sizeable investment and tools which were a little much for a hobbyist.

I can see that a professional and experienced pen repair person might regard the tools that has been suggested as a basic requirement but that is not the same as a person looking to do pen repair as a hobby, i.e. not professional.

Especially relevant if the person wanted to specialize in modern MB/Pelikan, cartridge pens, P61, Vacumatics and a few others that are outside my knowledge, half the tools are not basic, they are superfluous.

I put absolutely nothing on OP's original question. I merely quoted it verbatim. He didn't mention anything about whether or not he was restoring his own pens or about pricing or what his investment may or may not be.
    On the other hand you may have put your own spin on it by expressing your own ideas as to exactly what he may or may not be doing or which tools out of the commonplace basic tools you believe are or are not required. Not that this matters a jot as thread drift on FPG is commonplace. I won't be replying to you again as I'm starting to believe Deb was right. Also I'm a firm believer in the maxim to not feed trolls. In fact you made it onto my ignore list so I'll be saved from seeing anything else you post.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 21st, 2020 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks

Mission accomplished.

I put absolutely nothing on OP's original question. I merely quoted it verbatim. He didn't mention anything about whether or not he was restoring his own pens or about pricing or what his investment may or may not be.
    On the other hand you may have put your own spin on it by expressing your own ideas as to exactly what he may or may not be doing or which tools out of the commonplace basic tools you believe are or are not required. Not that this matters a jot as thread drift on FPG is commonplace. I won't be replying to you again as I'm starting to believe Deb was right. Also I'm a firm believer in the maxim to not feed trolls. In fact you made it onto my ignore list so I'll be saved from seeing anything else you post.
    First sign of a lost discussion is to call the other person names or a troll.

He asked what basic tools would be suggested and was given list of tools that would suit a professional repairers workshop without any regard as to what pens he would be restoring.

And yet I am the one being criticized.

You guys are unreal, I have heard of how the two of you gang up on anyone who doesn't agree your point of view but this is perfect evidence, you should be ashamed.
    Last edited by Johnny_S; July 21st, 2020 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

...I have heard of how the two of you gang up....
    WTF? You've heard? Do tell of this source of hearsay!

Thanks

I’m not a pro, but i do my own repairs on pens ranging from piston fillers to c/c pens.

Modern pens often require nib work because some manufacturers are rather lax with the QC. It’s often possible to pull the nib off the feed with no more than a piece of tape or something grippy — but not always! This is why i have a nib block and punch. A loupe is helpful to identify the source of problems with a nib. Sometimes abrasives (nail boards, micromesh, etc.) can help with poorly finished nibs. I also use a bulb syringe to flush c/c fillers. So that’s 5 things that are generally useful even for modern c/c

For work on older pens, a hairdryer or other heat source is necessary for separating sections from barrels safely. A pocket knife is handy for cutting and scraping, but most folks probably have one already.

If you want to work on specific pens, you’ll sometimes need specialized tools, even for routine stuff like greasing a piston. I have a tool to remove modern MB pistons which is nice to have when you get one with a stuck or stiff piston. Obviously you don’t need an MB piston wrench if you don’t have an MB, but if you do, it’s either get the wrench or send the pens into MB service every time you want to regrease the piston. Similarly, if you’re into Vacumatics or DJ 51s, you’ll probably want a Vac wrench.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Basic tools.... Note that this list may not be complete, and I reserve the right to add to it as things come to mind. You can make many of the tools listed. The Cheap Tools articles on my website tell you how.

* Sharp needle work scissors that will not be used to cut anything but sacs. Sharp to get a clean cut, small because they're easier to handle when cutting sacs and diaphragms. Paper or other materials will dull the blades. Keep them for sacs only, and they'll last for years.
    * Chopsticks - a host of things you can use them for
    * bamboo coffee stirrers. I bought a box of 500 years ago, and have barely made a dent. Pick up a couple extra next time you go into Panara or coffee shop. You'll find all kinds of uses for them.
    * Dental tools and a sprue cutter to clean dead sacs out of a pen
    * Alligator forceps to pull bits of dead sacs out of barrels. 3" inch is long enough
    * mini utility knife - use it to scrape the old sac off. LIFT off scraping sideways, not down the sac nipple
    * section pliers to open a pen. You can buy one, make one, or use fuel line hose (see note about articles below)
    * needle nose pliers
    * slip joint pliers
    * parallel jaw pliers AKA Bernards Jaw pliers
    * dry heat source to open a pen. I recommend one of the small embossing guns that runs about $20. The heat is more focused, so you don't heat more of the pen than necessary. Use with the pen about 2" or more from the opening. If you want to be more precise, use a digital probe thermometer and measure the temperature at various distances from the opening. READ "Seeing With Your Fingers..."
    * knockout block and punches
    * burnishing tool
    * loupe
    * nib smoothing material
    * Nib block. The plastic ones that David Nishimura sells work well, and are quite inexpensive. I have the $300 metal ones, but most of the ones that have been sold to amateur repair people are rusting on the shelf.
    * shellac, and something to keep it from getting knocked over.
    * thread sealant for pens that hold the ink directly in the barrel, like Vacumatics, Sheaffer plunger fillers, and piston fillers.
    * Vac wrench to repair Vacumatics and Parker 51 pens. You can make these as well.
    * fuel line hose
    *A good repair manual. Put your money into a good repair book before you put money into tools. Having something like the Marshal/Oldfield book next to you can help you to avoid making costly mistakes. Take the time to understand a pen before you try to repair it. I do not recommend Frank Dubiel's book, though I have a copy. There are too many things with which I disagree, and I think that the Marshall/Oldfield book is better in many ways. Copies of the old original manufacturer's repair manuals are good too.

There are a lot of other things that you will add over time. I've made a lot of my own tools, but the tool box expands as your repair skills grow.

I recommend going to the Articles and Essays page of my website. There are some useful articles, including how to make some of the basic, needed tools in the two Cheap Tools articles. There are also some links to "What is this and what do I do with it" posts on another board. Sorry, these were written ages before FPGeeks existed. They cover tools that I've made that readers may find to be useful. I really do suggest that you read the "Seeing with your fingers" article. Your fingers, and learning how to feel what's going on makes them the most valuable tools you will use.
    Last edited by Ron Z; July 22nd, 2020 at 11:23 AM.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

amk (July 22nd, 2020), carlos.q (July 22nd, 2020), Chrissy (July 21st, 2020), da vinci (July 26th, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 22nd, 2020), Jon Szanto (July 21st, 2020), penwash (July 21st, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

The single most important tool: patience, second: your hands. Don't rush a repair, and learn to "feel" when what you are doing is "too little" or "too much" when working with pens and parts. Most tools can be bought, those two are the most important, and are learned.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

amk (July 22nd, 2020), Chrissy (July 21st, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 22nd, 2020), Jon Szanto (July 21st, 2020), penwash (July 22nd, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Ron has reminded me with the chopsticks and coffee stirrers how often a pen repairer looks at something lying around the place and thinks "oh, that's going to come in useful".

But NOT REGULAR PLIERS. Don't use them for anything to do with a pen!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    While I agree that regular pliers should not be use AS IS to take off a section, I disagree that regular pliers have no use in pen repair. Read my articles and you'll understand know why they are included. They do have their place.
    Last edited by Ron Z; July 22nd, 2020 at 11:21 AM.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

The wealth of info about restoring pen in this thread has become truly amazing.

I can't fathom why anyone would protest more good info about a subject, shared freely, with enthusiasm and humor, by people who have been doing it successfully for a long time.

If the OP hadn't intended for such abundance of good info, or can't really use it at the moment, this thread is still useful for anyone who has any interest in FP restoration.

Isn't that what a public forum is for?
    Last edited by penwash; July 22nd, 2020 at 08:17 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 22nd, 2020), Chrissy (July 22nd, 2020), Jon Szanto (July 22nd, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

According to Dale from Pentooling.com these pliers "were purchased with a lot of original Parker tools from the Parker tool crib when the Janesville facility was being shut down."

pliers tool crib.JPG

I believe this is where the "fuel line hose" comes to play....

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 22nd, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

I can't fathom why anyone would protest more good info about a subject, shared freely, with enthusiasm and humor, by people who has been doing it successfully for a long time.

If the OP hadn't intended for such abundance of good info, or can't really use it at the moment, this thread is still useful for anyone who has any interest in FP restoration.

I quoted this in its entirety because it says exactly what I would have hoped to say. Thank you, Will!!
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 22nd, 2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: grammar
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 22nd, 2020), penwash (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

I can't fathom why anyone would protest more good info about a subject, shared freely, with enthusiasm and humor, by people who has been doing it successfully for a long time.

I quoted this in it’s entirety because it says exactly what I would have hoped to say. Thank you, Will!!
    You're both right of course.

Thanks

It has been a useful thread, hearing what professionals regard as essential/basic tools, my needs are more focused based on the pens I own/work on but I appreciate the time that the experts have taken it listing their equipment.

Thanks

One thing I find incredibly useful is a Papermate Non-stop pencil. If you pull out the spring it can be atool for getting out stuff stuck in barrels e.g. plasticised sacs, rubbers that have hardened in mechanical pencils etc. It works like a cork-screw and it's pretty thin and sharp too.
    Last edited by top pen; July 22nd, 2020 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    One thing I find incredibly is a Papermate Non-stop pencil. If you pull out the spring it can be an incredibly tool for getting out stuff stuck in barrels e.g. plasticised sacs, rubbers that have hardened in mechanical pencils etc. It works like a cork-screw and it's pretty thin and sharp too.
    You may also find a tapered wood screw to be useful for removing a cartridge that is stuck in a barrel.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    According to Dale from Pentooling.com these pliers "were purchased with a lot of original Parker tools from the Parker tool crib when the Janesville facility was being shut down."

pliers tool crib.JPG

I believe this is where the "fuel line hose" comes to play....
    I use a plastic-jawed wrench that is comfortable for my hands and gives ample torque. Then I wrap the section I want to open with some rubber (tire inner tube works well, or some sturdier ink sac that I no longer use). So far I haven't yet found a section that I can't open with this method.

Of course right after I stated this, a tiny dinky but extremely defiant ringtop will come along and shatter my "track record"
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    While I agree that regular pliers should not be use AS IS to take off a section, I disagree that regular pliers have no use in pen repair. Read my articles and you'll understand know why they are included. They do have their place.
    I have a few Waterman Phileas pens and have replaced the original nibs with gold L'Etalon nibs. I've managed to remove all of their original nibs and feeds after giving them a whiz in the USC then wrapping them with a thick wad of kitchen paper and pulling them straight out with a pair of regular pliers. Always works. No damage.

I have the type of pen pliers that are originally for some sort of vehicle use, but they have never worked as well for this purpose. I also tried wrapping my regular pliers with some rubber hose and that didn't work either. So I went back to my tried and trusted method for this specific purpose.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 22nd, 2020 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks

Mission accomplished.
    Excellent post Chrissy. I was just curious and figured FPG was the place to satisfy my curiousity. I never expected over 50 responses!! Thanks to all. I appreciate, and read all of them.