Thread: Heavy Pens - Similar to Levenger L-Tech?

Thanks

Lightbulb Heavy Pens - Similar to Levenger L-Tech?

Good afternoon!

Over the last year or so I've been able to learn a lot about my preferences for a pen. I knew going into it that I preferred a heavy pen, but how heavy and shape/size preference were things that took a little time. I don't write for long periods and I'm usually just jotting notes at work or making short bullet entries in a journal, so how a pen feels when I pick it up and take the first stroke is more important than whether it tires my hand.

My favorite pen in my small collection is a Levenger L-Tech 3.0. I haven't weighed it but literature and reviews I've found state 45-50g. I always post the cap and I really love the knurled grip section. The one thing that would make it perfect is a round body instead of the heptagonal section. The diameter, length, and weight of the pen feel great to me. This might be an odd preference, but I prefer smaller #5 nibs to a #6.

Can anyone recommend pens that are similar to the L-Tech, but with a round body? But not the Jinhao dragon pen

If it matters, I am left handed, I tend to write small, and quickly. For that reason, I prefer wetter writers, though understand that a nib swap can address any complaints. Because of my weight preference all of my pens so far have ended up being brass bodied.

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Default Re: Heavy Pens - Similar to Levenger L-Tech?

I watched the SBRE Brown video review of the Faber-Castell Loom and he mentioned that it's a fairly heavy pen because it has a metal barrel.
    Then I managed to get one for a good price from Amazon Warehouse and I would call it a reasonably heavy pen. It writes beautifully.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

SManZ (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I watched the SBRE Brown video review of the Faber-Castell Loom and he mentioned that it's a fairly heavy pen because it has a metal barrel.
    Then I managed to get one for a good price from Amazon Warehouse and I would call it a reasonably heavy pen. It writes beautifully.
    Thank you Chrissy I checked them out! PenChalet lists some as being discontinued and up for sale at a discount, so I guess I better hurry! I had also previously looked at, and then forgot about, Italix pens. I recently learned that Mr. Ford is retiring in 2021 so there is an urgency there as well Haha I hope I didn't come into this world at the tail end of the good part!

Thanks

https://www.gentlemanstationer.com/b...ion-pure-black

Plus check Pens for Sale.

As an owner I can confirm they are heavy and round and quickly uncapped.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

SManZ (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

The Diplomat Excellence A weight (I think 43 grams) if you could accept the no6 nib. I (think) Sheaffer preludes weigh a bit if you'd prefer a smaller nib.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

SManZ (July 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    The Diplomat Excellence A weight (I think 43 grams) if you could accept the no6 nib. I (think) Sheaffer preludes weigh a bit if you'd prefer a smaller nib.
    Whoa...that is a fantastic looking pen. The dimensions and weight look like its right in my preference! It is pricey, but not outlandish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    Whoa...that is a fantastic looking pen. The dimensions and weight look like its right in my preference! It is pricey, but not outlandish.
    If you choose to go with the Diplomat, be sure to check out the Marrakesh (brown) model. I never thought I'd buy a brown pen... But pair that with Pelikan's Brilliant Brown ink, it's the perfect match.

Thanks

Thank you Chrissy I checked them out! PenChalet lists some as being discontinued and up for sale at a discount, so I guess I better hurry! I had also previously looked at, and then forgot about, Italix pens. I recently learned that Mr. Ford is retiring in 2021 so there is an urgency there as well Haha I hope I didn't come into this world at the tail end of the good part!
    Some of the earliest ones might have plastic barrels so maybe check before you buy. The matt gunmetal one definitely has a plastic barrel as SBRE Brown mentions.
    Mine is a piano white and has a metal barrel. It has a B nib that writes like a M.

Thanks

Some of the earliest ones might have plastic barrels so maybe check before you buy. The matt gunmetal one definitely has a plastic barrel as SBRE Brown mentions.
    Mine is a piano white and has a metal barrel. It has a B nib that writes like a M.
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I was checking out the matte gunmetal one. A plastic barrel would have been quite a disappointment!

Thanks

I'm glad you mentioned that. I was checking out the matte gunmetal one. A plastic barrel would have been quite a disappointment!
    I wanted that one specifically because I knew it would be lighter, and Stephen mentioned in his review that it was. I've since confirmed it has a plastic barrel.

However, it's significantly more expensive than the other colours here and I really just wanted to try one out at a lower price level.

As a UK price comparison the cheapest matte gunmetal I found is £39. I bought my Piano White for £19.93 on Amazon. Quite a decent saving.

It's also worth typing Faber Castell Loom into the ebay search box and selecting lowest price including shipping. There are a couple of sellers on there selling brand new ones in different colours.

Thanks

Platinum Izumo weighs somewhere in region of 35-40 grams depending on who you ask.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

SManZ (July 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Lamy 2000 stainless steel version weighs around 34g unposted, 55g posted.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,120 Posts

Namisu make some hefty pens with round cross-sections (but no. 6 nibs) and often have very reasonable prototype sales.

Thanks

isn't Namisu Nova a no.6 nib?

Thanks

I recently found a great deal on eBay for a Monteverde Invincia Deluxe with medium nib. It has the carbon fiber barrel and cap and chrome trim. It weighs right at 46g and it feels great to me. The diameter of the grip section and barrel is just right for me, and I do tend to hold my pens high. My only complaint is that the cap snaps into place when posted and is very hard to unpost. This has broken in a bit since I first started using it and I hope that it will continue to get better.

While I really like this pen, it isn't the end of the search!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SManZ For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 16th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    isn't Namisu Nova a no.6 nib?
    Yup, as noted.

Thanks

Kaweco Supra?
    If you like metal...