Thread: Ok, so I'm seeking a new Fine nibbed friend....

Thanks

Default Ok, so I'm seeking a new Fine nibbed friend....

Hi Folks,

My regulars include a Platinum 3776 in Fine, a Sailor Pro Gear in Fine, and a Pilot 912 in SF.

• I like the feedback on the 3776, and I wonder if it could maintain the same flow but be smoother
    • I enjoy the slightly reduced feedback of the Pro Gear, but I wonder if the flow could be increased.
    • The feel of the Pilot is nice, but I wish it had more feedback to guide me, the flow is insane!

I recently discovered that I dropped my Platinum 3776 in Soft Fine in a parking lot. This story does not end well. I found it crushed to pieces two days later. I actually saved the nib and the band from the cap, but the nib is slightly separated from the feed, so.....RIP.

That said, I'm seeking something that fits in between these, and I'm looking at either a Pilot 912 in Fine, a Sailor 1911L in Fine, or perhaps another Platinum 3776 in SF. All of which can be had for under $200 USD from various markets, new. I may even consider a Pilot Falcon in SEF, but have read and viewed some conflicting reports about that pen.

Has anyone compared these and have an opinion on flow, feedback and size/feel amongst them? I've chosen these because of my previous experience with the brands, and because I'm partial to Rhodium instead of gold accoutrements.

Oh, the purpose if journaling, note taking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 554 Posts

Default Re: Ok, so I'm seeking a new Fine nibbed friend....

I have a Rhodium SEF Falcon in plastic. I like it. I use Pilot ink in it and its been most dependable.

Do hold on to your Platinum SF nib, you can likely find an aftermarket feed and housing for it (Flex Nib Factory maybe) and have a lot of options for pens to put it in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 1st, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for the tip on saving the nib Manoeuver!

The Falcon is very interesting to me. I may consider the metal version because I seem to enjoy the weightier pens. The 912 is actually very light for its size, possibly lighter than the tiny Pro Gear.

BTW, here's a writing sample of what I currently use. From the Pilot on top, the Platinum in the middle, and the Sailor on the bottom. Yes, I left out "lazy" in the sentence samples, except for the Signo...intentional I promise! Rhodia 80g lined.

If I could get the flow of the Pilot in the fineness and feedback of the Sailor, and size between the Pilot and the Platinum, but the weight of the Sailor, I'd be set. Sorry for the huge image, I'm not sure how to post it as a thumbnail.

wrtng_smpl.jpg
    Last edited by Xyrium; July 23rd, 2020 at 07:28 AM.

Thanks

Have you considered a Pilot Vanishing Point? It would be fine but with a slight yielding quality and feedback. I wouldn't call it soft but it is not a nail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarish View Post
    Have you considered a Pilot Vanishing Point? It would be fine but with a slight yielding quality and feedback. I wouldn't call it soft but it is not a nail.
    Thanks Jaguarish. I haven't considered the VP only based on appearance. It's not ugly, but I'm into the more conservative, or perhaps traditional look of the pen and cap.

That said, I just ordered a Sailor 1911 L in fine. I suppose the nib will be the same as the Pro Gear I have, but I expect the balance to change. I like the length of the 912, and I hope this will be similar. In the end, I'll probably pick up a 912 in Fine as well, since I find Pilot nibs to be slightly more flexy than the Platinum 3776 that I have anyway. Well, perhaps anything is more flexy than the 3776...LOL.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

My Pilot FA in SEF has crazy feedback. I really wished I had gotten it in SF. I have only used a 3776 once, very briefly but recall being shocked with the amount of feedback. I've tried one in F and thought at the time it was really smooth with decent flow. So if you want smoother the FA in SEF is a nope.

Smoother, with generous flow, is my Pilot Stargazer in F. It has unmistakable feedback but definitely smoother than the FA. Not as smooth as say my Parker 45 in XF. Similar to my Hemisphere in F.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

SchaumburgSwan (July 25th, 2020), Xyrium (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xyrium View Post
    BTW, here's a writing sample of what I currently use. From the Pilot on top, the Platinum in the middle, and the Sailor on the bottom. Yes, I left out "lazy" in the sentence samples, except for the Signo...intentional I promise! Rhodia 80g lined.
    Just as a quick aside your pangram "the quick brown fox" only uses all of the letters of the alphabet when "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 1st, 2020), Xyrium (July 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyrium View Post
    Just as a quick aside your pangram "the quick brown fox" only uses all of the letters of the alphabet when "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."
    Oh my gosh, how embarrassing is that?! Good catch!

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    My Pilot FA in SEF has crazy feedback. I really wished I had gotten it in SF. I have only used a 3776 once, very briefly but recall being shocked with the amount of feedback. I've tried one in F and thought at the time it was really smooth with decent flow. So if you want smoother the FA in SEF is a nope.

Smoother, with generous flow, is my Pilot Stargazer in F. It has unmistakable feedback but definitely smoother than the FA. Not as smooth as say my Parker 45 in XF. Similar to my Hemisphere in F.
    Thanks for this perspective! So, if I read this correctly, are you saying that your Falcon SEF is smoother than 3776 Fine ("Crazy feedback" vs shocking feedback)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Hard to say for sure exactly what the differences are as I didn't try the 3776 for more than a few seconds. And that was awhile ago. I didn't care for it though. Didn't really care for the FA either. I've smoothed it and it is almost tolerable but I feel like the nib shape doesn't lend itself to rapid cursive writing.

Thanks

Of those listed above, i would go with Sailor. I think their feeds are very good and their nibs are second to none.

That sodas, i’m not using my xf Sailor with the rhodium trim. Instead, i’m doing the crossword with one of my old Sheaffers. This one has gold trim, but there were white metal Sheaffers. They’re built like tanks, with great nibs and flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Can recommend heartily the Pilot 823 with a fine nib, if you can find a deal on it. Having said that, and this is in the hand preference, I wish I'd bought my 912 with a fine (if it is as good as the 823 nib) instead of the crazy FA nib. The 912 is just about a perfect fit for me.