Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first Parker 51

Thanks

Default Re: Bought my first Parker 51

Ok, no PTFE tape then. I noticed there is a small rubber ring there so it should keep it sealed.
    I used a hair drier and got the hood out. Not that easy but not incredibly difficult. Now the collector , feed and breather tube appear to be more difficult. Here is the step so far.

opened.jpg

I've seen some videos, I don't want to risk the tube to break into the feed and I don't think there is need to go too crazy with cleaning (it was already in pretty good shape) . My goal is to get the pen to write a little better/get it aligned etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

At this stage it doesn't look like you need to think about pulling out the feed or the collector. The collector looks clean. Bear in mind that if you do you will have to realign the nib and feed with the hood when you try screwing the hood back on. At the moment the feed only needs a very small tweak in one direction to make it line up properly. I would leave well alone and concentrate on ensuring the nib tines are level.

If you absolutely have to pull off the feed and collector you will need to be very careful to not damage the very long and delicate breather tube that is usually made of plastic and will come out with either the feed or the collector. Personally, I wouldn't bother.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    At this stage it doesn't look like you need to think about pulling out the feed or the collector. The collector looks clean. Bear in mind that if you do you will have to realign the nib and feed with the hood when you try screwing the hood back on. At the moment the feed only needs a very small tweak in one direction to make it line up properly. I would leave well alone and concentrate on ensuring the nib tines are level.

If you absolutely have to pull off the feed and collector you will need to be very careful to not damage the very long and delicate breather tube that is usually made of plastic and will come out with either the feed or the collector. Personally, I wouldn't bother.
    Thanks Chrissy. I'll follow your advice. At this point I re-checked the tines, looks like aligned enough.. not sure I can do better than that.

IMG_20200726_183952.jpg

About the feed, It won't rotate and I have the feeling more force will snap it.

Not off by much, but still...
    IMG_20200726_184056.jpg

Thanks

A good overnight soak might help.

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with guyy. A soaking would help.

If you want to remove the collector and feed the i would:
    Soak in warm water
    grip the collector and twist and pull at the same time
    The feed and breather tube will come out with the collector

If you don’t feel the need to pull them, then don’t. The feed and collector are already almost perfectly aligned to one another
    Just reinsert the nib and screw the hood on

Good job with the nib. Looks really good.

With an o-ring model like yours you REALLY don’t need to reseal the pen. Like REALLY don’t need to, thats the o-rings job

Thanks

Got it, I'll leave in water overnight. I just didn't understood if I can twist the feed without breaking it or if I want to just align them I still need to get the collector and feed out. Time for soaking.. I'll check tomorrow

Thanks

Generally i pull the collector out then either gently wiggle the feed out forwards or push it Out from the back. depending on the condition of the breather tube

Be gentle but firm and your should be ok. Take your time

Before pulling the collector out, see if you can gently wiggle/twist the feed to the position you need it to be in. Again be gentle. Take your time

Thanks

Maybe I'm wrong but I think OP wants to ensure that the feed lines up slightly better with the hood point than it originally did before he removed the hood.

If this is the case, once you've soaked the pen overnight in warm water to ensure everything is clean then try screwing on the hood. If the feed isn't perfectly aligned with the point of the hood then you need to check which direction it needs to go, unscrew the hood and tweak the feed in the right direction. You might have to pull it out first, but it might twist enough as it's not far out.

Then I believe that the way you're supposed to ensure you don't cause any damage to the nib is to offer it up to the feed quite loosely, screw on the hood and push the nib fully home with your thumb and forefinger. I've always pushed the nib home then very carefully screwed on the hood while watching it all the time..

Thanks

The way I’ve always done it is:
    Align feed and collector
    Insert feed to collector all the way
    Insert nib into collector, all the way
    Fit collector in to connector
    Screw on hood

https://archive.org/stream/ParkerPen...e/n49/mode/2up
    See page 51.
    One note: i have never found it necessary to [press the nib tip straight down on a hard surface] to get it seated in the collector properly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    The way I’ve always done it is:
    Align feed and collector
    Insert feed to collector all the way
    Insert nib into collector, all the way
    Fit collector in to connector
    Screw on hood
    What happens if they are slightly out of line at this point?

Thanks

if you mean slightly out of alignment with one another (nib to feed): remove the nib, re insert

if you mean the HOOD to the nib/feed, then remove the hood, adjust the collector assembly (collector, nib, feed) as needed by gently twisting the collector, re attach the hood, check again. repeat as needed, usually takes either 1, or no adjustments.

I'm not sure if i answered your question properly...

If i didnt, please let me know

not my video, but this is how i do it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YHdzy4RuYg#t=57m25s

i do not remove the sac protector. If I'm not changing the sac. and i havn't had to change one yet, the plyglass sacs are awesome.
    Last edited by INeedAFinancialAdvisor; July 27th, 2020 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    if you mean slightly out of alignment with one another (nib to feed): remove the nib, re insert

if you mean the HOOD to the nib/feed, then remove the hood, adjust the collector assembly (collector, nib, feed) as needed by gently twisting the collector, re attach the hood, check again. repeat as needed, usually takes either 1, or no adjustments.

I'm not sure if i answered your question properly...

If i didnt, please let me know

not my video, but this is how i do it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YHdzy4RuYg#t=57m25s

i do not remove the sac protector. If I'm not changing the sac. and i havn't had to change one yet, the plyglass sacs are awesome.
    OP's post #6. He wants to align it better with the hood.

Thanks

So, overnight soaking, the collector is still very solid there, so is the feed.I did quite a bit of force there and no luck. I'm concerned more strength would damage the feed/collector. At least it softened out some "gunk" there. Not sure if the previous owner used some glue there. What I'm wondering at this point is if there could be ink flow issue if the collector isn't completely aligned with the feed. Otherwise I'd just leave as is and align the nib and the hood. Actually I did a test and the nib is fairly easy to align. The hood might not be difficult after a couple trials...

Thanks

I would try soaking again.

Thanks

try soaking again, like Guyy suggests.

Try warm / hotter water.

If the collector is not perfectly aligned with the feed and nib? It's not ideal, but based on how little it likely has to be out of alignment if you just tweak the feed and nib (Based on the first couple sets of photos) it would likely be ok.

You can always try it, and if it's not great/bad flow, then just take the hood back off and then work on getting the collector loose again.

Thanks

The collector can be rotated too, so there’s no need for it to be out of alignment with the feed.

Thanks

yay I got the collector and feed out. I noticed in some videos the breather tube comes out easily, sometimes it breaks in the feed. Should I risk it? I tried some force to pull it out, I heard a small "tuc" sound and stopped. Also, the feed still won't rotate but I assume pulling it out would separate it from the tube/break? Plus I noticed some corrosion in the end of the breather tube. Should this be a problem?

breathertube.jpg

Thanks

YAY!

That is the beginning of corrosion on the breather tube. IMO at this point, as long as the tube is still clear inside, it will likely work fine.

Replacing it IS an option, you'll have to order parts.

Removing the feed from the collector will not remove the tube from the feed. The tube is directly inserted into the feed.

i don't usually remove the tube from the feed. IMO if it's in, that's good.
    Then once the feed is out of the collector, I make sure I can blow in the tube and that the air comes out of the feed and the hole in the tube near the feed like it's supposed to, and then I reassemble.
    NOTE: I fix my own pens, not pens for other people, if it was for other people I would likely do the all out cleaning and replacing of parts etc etc etc. But since they are just for me, and i know their condition, "clean and functioning" is good enough for me.

The

Thanks

Alright, aligned the nib with the feed and put the hood on. At first I thought the nib was too far out of the hood but looking at other Parkers 51 on the net it doesn't look like, what do you think?

IMG_20200727_121646.jpgIMG_5835.JPGIMG_5836.JPGIMG_5837.JPG

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MRusso For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 27th, 2020)

Thanks

It looks out about as much as when you got it so that’s good
    When you push the nib into the collector, often (but not always) you can feel it sort of click as it hits the back of the collector, then you KNOW it’s all the way in. If you didn’t feel the click that’s OK, as long as it felt ALL the way in.
    Great job on the alignment!

How does it write now?