Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One pen per month challenge

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: One pen per month challenge

Sorry to say I failed my challenge. But I've managed to restrain myself to 5 pens inked at any given time.

Why five? I've been writing letters encouraging people to vote and wanted a waterproof ink for addressing and a nice blue ink for writing. Plus I need to work my way through my large queue of samples. And of course at least one daily workhorse.

I've been through several pens and inks in the last few days, with four being cleaned and five ready to write.

I'm hoping to use my Parker 51 as a daily workhorse for awhile.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (October 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Sorry to say I failed my challenge. But I've managed to restrain myself to 5 pens inked at any given time.

Why five? I've been writing letters encouraging people to vote and wanted a waterproof ink for addressing and a nice blue ink for writing. Plus I need to work my way through my large queue of samples. And of course at least one daily workhorse.

I've been through several pens and inks in the last few days, with four being cleaned and five ready to write.

I'm hoping to use my Parker 51 as a daily workhorse for awhile.
    I've been going the other direction myself. I'm up to 4 inked at the moment. In part this was my urge to try out two new pens I splurged on. They were out of my budget, but I got a bonus from work, so I've added the Edison Collier and Lamy 2000 to the rotation. So those two are inked. My excuse for the 3rd was that I used an inkwell to fill the Edison, and there was enough ink left to fill the converter on my Jinhao x750. So Jinhao for the crappy Mead work notebook, and the Lamy 2K and Edison for journaling in the Black 'n' Red notebooks.

I've no excuse for inking up the Pilot Metropolitan... just that I wanted to. I had a craving to see 54th Massachusetts on the page again, and the CON-40 holds a small volume, so I'll use it and clean it out in short order.

When these clean out I'll probably drop back to two pens at a time. My twenty year old Waterman Expert is due for an inking.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks

Change of plans...again, but definitely better plans!
    I wound up purchasing a Penbbs-487(Mountain Mist) from the market here last month to go with my Penbbs-456(Clear-Glass) from the summer.
    Looking to pick up a Penbbs-355(Cloud) this month if I can haggle this ebay seller down to a sensible price...

Thanks

This one something for a month thing is not isolated to FP’s. It’s a bit ridiculous IMHO.

So, you need to add to the grocery list and fur pen of the month isn’t handy........lol!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Wouldn't it be interesting to know why folks end up with so many things? Some do and some don't of course. I mean, having more than you could possibly need where having to choose just one for a month is necessary?

Right now I have multiple shaving toola, pens, pocket knives, but only one watch. I wear the watch all day everyday. It is the best watch I have ever had.

If the truth be known, my Lamy Al-Star is the only pen I really need. It is like the watch. That said. I enjoy seeing the other antique pens sitting in the coffee cup. I can enjoy them without using them. Most days I have a Parker 51 or Sheaffer Crest coupled with a vintage Autopoint.

This is a hobby of much enjoyment and it is nice to have something of excellent quality to use for a daily need.
    Everyone has different situations financially and otherwise I guess. Some people would even ask, is it even necessary to have one fountain pen or one watch at all?

Everyone also have different standards. Some are okay spending all their money every pay cycle, and other people rather hoard money than hoard things and make their time/energy/money as efficient as possible.

The simple answer is it is a constant fight between rabid mindless consumerism and living a life you are content with.