Thread: Please help find me a pen

Thanks

Question Pen recommendations please help

Hi,

I am looking for some new pen recommendations. Currently i only really have 2 pens, a cross peerless 125 with a fine nib and a cross apgoee with a medium. The apogee nib was terrible out the box so had to tweek it a lot to get it to work. Anyway i am looking for a new pen to join these ones. Initally i was after another peerless with a medium nib but seems to be hard to get one that isnt a lacquered finish for a decent price.

Does anyone have any pen recommendations, i am really struggling but after hours and hours I am no closer?

My criteria are:
    *Very reliable writer - something that wont give hard starts that i can just pick up and will work - this is my most important criteria, really hope to avoid any tuninig
    *Tends towards the wet end of the writing scale
    *Medium nib (ideally more of a japanese medium)
    *Prefference is another sailor nib, my other sailor is fantastic. Or something that is that sort of reliable quality
    *either a metal body pen with a finish similar to a cross peerless or some sort of acrilic / plastic (apart from ebbonite) but with an interesting marble type colour (ideally blue or something interesting like that)
    *budget is ideally sub £300 but something a little cheaper would be better

Thanks for any suggestions

Picture for attention

Screenshot_20200727_140521.jpg
    Last edited by Shiloh; July 27th, 2020 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Please help find me a pen

1. Get the cheapest Sailor you can find with a medium nib + a Jowo or Bock housing for Sailor, pull the nib, install nib and feed and put it in a wild-n-crazy pen that takes Jowo or Bock nib units. I would go with an Indian eyedropper.

2. I like the Pilot SM nibs. I think the metal body Falcon in medium might be within budget. It would be here in the US.

There are lots of vintage pens that would work, too, e.g., Parker 51 flighter, Parker 75. Sheaffer Targa or a vintage Sheaffer celluloid model...

Thanks

I have the Peerless with a medium nib, and a Sailor Sapporo - also with a medium nib. The Sapporo is a nice writer, but has a small ink capacity so is not great for long writing sessions.

For criteria 1 and 2 I humbly suggest the following

1/ Platinum Century #3776 - the slip & seal mechanism keeps it ready to write and the nibs are similar to Sailors. Sailor write like a 2b pencil on paper, Platinum - like 1b - not buttery smooth, but with a hint of grip. Japanese paper makes them buttery smooth. Cult pens has 10% of its "Far East range"

2/ Lamy 2000 - with Lamy ink they are wet writers - with drier inks - they are drier writers, but are always ready to write.

3/ Pilot Custom 823 - can be bought from Appelbloom. SRBE may have a discount code which bring s the price to below £300. Delivery takes a week.

4/ Montblanc 146 - yes this is an outlier, but a decent second hand one should be within your budget. Make sure it has no chips or cracks as repairs are expensive. Not like a sailor Nib at all, but meets criteria 1 &2.

If you want marble like pens - the Visconti Rembrant might be worth a look. Certainly the red one I use gets the most compliments. However, they do dry out faster than the 4 listed above. You get a pretty pen that writes with daily use, but may need the odd dip in water if not used over the week-end.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 554 Posts

A Pilot will give you the performance you want (use a wet ink) but they don't have super-interesting plastics.

You can probably find a Franklin-Christoph in a finish you like, and they do a fine job tuning pens before shipping them.

Good Luck!

Thanks

Pilot Custom 74 actually is very attractive for price, color options and best converter on the market (push button, high capacity). I have several, and have swapped the interesting nibs (music, soft options which are on black bodies) into the interesting bodies (demo violet, demo orange). Really delightful writing experience.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice everyone. Got a swee deal on a sailor pen with a medium nib so will see how this one goes. Kind of hoping the nibs will be interchangeable between this sailor 1911 standard 14k and my cross peerless but will have to wait and see

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Kind of hoping the nibs will be interchangeable between this sailor 1911 standard 14k and my cross peerless but will have to wait and see
    Quite unlikely. Even if they look like they might be a similar size, they won't be the same shape or thickness and you might risk breaking your feeder cases while trying to swap them over.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens