Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PenBBS ordering during COVID

Thanks

Default PenBBS ordering during COVID

I have a question for PenBBS Users:

I have several models I am considering ordering this week from Etsy. What kind of turnaround time are you seeing? 1 month? 2? I am in no hurry - just curious.

Also, would it behoove me to place multiple orders for single pens, instead of one order with the bunch? Some might be faster in stock than others, for instance. Is this a good strategy, provided I am okay with paying a little more for shipping when not combining all the items?

What do you suggest?

Thanks

Default Re: PenBBS ordering during COVID

I just ordered a "456", they predicted anywhere between 2 weeks and a month.
    The last pen I ordered from Lanxivi in China took about 2 months to get to me in the USA...most of that time was spent sitting in customs.
    It's awful...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I ordered 4 pens July 19 and took delivery in Ohio August 12.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (August 15th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 587 Posts

If you choose the multiple order approach, let us know how it played out. Sounds like it could work, even if they all got shipped at the same time, since some might get stuck in customs for longer than others just due to the luck of the draw.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Shipping from the Etsy shop has varied wildly for me. The quickest I have received an order was 2 weeks, and the longest I've waited is just over 2 months. I have used your strategy by accident once and placed orders a few days apart. The first order arrived in just under a month, the second took nearly 2.
    I've found eBay's shipping from 3rd party sellers to be more consistent. 1 month or less, every time.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FrankenBeanzzz For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (August 23rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    I'm buying American CONUS from now on. If I can't get it in this country, I'm not buying it. Bad enough testing and experimentation are driving me to hair loss from frustration and failure....adding in month-long delays in shipping is just too damn much to bear.
    Look, these aren't normal times, and one simply has to make allowances for the many issues that people are dealing with. I get that you are impatient with all of this, and I'm hoping that future projects, when things have normed out, will allow you to look widely. The fact is that you may not find everything you want through CONUS, or at the right price point, etc. Beyond that, our USPS is getting totally hosed and I expect - unless someone can turn around these inept decisions - that delivery times will get worse and worse, as well as items being lost and damaged. I am not speaking of any of this in terms of politics but the actual pragmatic nature of mailing items. I am currently corresponding with people in many countries beside the US and it isn't unusual for someone abroad to receive mail before something I send within CONUS.

ETA: For a number of months, the PenBBS Etsy shop has had a prominently placed notice regarding longer shipping times. This has been a result of not only Covid-19 but also issues with China Post and their internal subsidies. Slower delivery times is a known issue.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; August 23rd, 2020 at 05:48 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    I'm buying American CONUS from now on. If I can't get it in this country, I'm not buying it. Bad enough testing and experimentation are driving me to hair loss from frustration and failure....adding in month-long delays in shipping is just too damn much to bear.
    Look, these aren't normal times, and one simply has to make allowances for the many issues that people are dealing with. I get that you are impatient with all of this, and I'm hoping that future projects, when things have normed out, will allow you to look widely. The fact is that you may not find everything you want through CONUS, or at the right price point, etc. Beyond that, our USPS is getting totally hosed and I expect - unless someone can turn around these inept decisions - that delivery times will get worse and worse, as well as items being lost and damaged. I am not speaking of any of this in terms of politics but the actual pragmatic nature of mailing items. I am currently corresponding with people in many countries beside the US and it isn't unusual for someone abroad to receive mail before something I send within CONUS.

ETA: For a number of months, the PenBBS Etsy shop has had a prominently placed notice regarding longer shipping times. This has been a result of not only Covid-19 but also issues with China Post and their internal subsidies. Slower delivery times is a known issue.
    That is all very true and encouraging, however...I've had shipments from within the US take a month to be delivered due to being lost in the mail.
    Frankly, I do not see this fountain pen journey as a sustainable endeavor if everything needed to support it has to be sourced from long distances away.
    Maybe I'm just not built for this journey...yes...I believe that is a better and more plausible consideration.

Thankfully, the PENBBS-456 is one hell of a well-built pen.
    And it accepted all of the mods into a flex-pen with no qualms.
    I'm back in the game!
    Last edited by Detman101; August 24th, 2020 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks

In the UK. A couple of Penbbs (orders separate as I messed up and had to add a separate order) both only took 2 weeks to come, if that - this was a couple of months ago when the pandemic affected the post (here at least and probably in China too), more.

I trade online (not pens, sadly) and would say that since the start of the pandemic, a number of things we've mailed to the US have simply gone missing, never turned up, or turned up late. I have no clue what is going on with their postal system but I suspect a lot of people who are not in the US are getting more and more wary of mailing there. During the pandemic we have mailed to almost every continent - and had no problems whatsoever with any other country's mail. Just the US.

Other countries had delays at the height of the pandemic - but everything still seemed to get where it was going. Except a high % of our US customers' things. Something definitely going on, there.

It has cost us a fair bit of money having to replace and resend a number of items - been trading several years and never had a problem until recently. I have seen other UK traders saying they are no longer sending to the US. I can't afford to do that as it's most of our market!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Penhellope For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Penhellope View Post
    In the UK. A couple of Penbbs (orders separate as I messed up and had to add a separate order) both only took 2 weeks to come, if that - this was a couple of months ago when the pandemic affected the post (here at least and probably in China too), more.

I trade online (not pens, sadly) and would say that since the start of the pandemic, a number of things we've mailed to the US have simply gone missing, never turned up, or turned up late. I have no clue what is going on with their postal system but I suspect a lot of people who are not in the US are getting more and more wary of mailing there. During the pandemic we have mailed to almost every continent - and had no problems whatsoever with any other country's mail. Just the US.

Other countries had delays at the height of the pandemic - but everything still seemed to get where it was going. Except a high % of our US customers' things. Something definitely going on, there.

It has cost us a fair bit of money having to replace and resend a number of items - been trading several years and never had a problem until recently. I have seen other UK traders saying they are no longer sending to the US. I can't afford to do that as it's most of our market!
    Unsure how it will be taken on this forum, but as an american...I probably share your international sentiment and opinion of the US.
    I won't go into detail as the land-bound patriots out there think this country is the best on the planet and would deem my opinion offensive.
    Once you leave the US, you learn that the rest of the world isn't as "Far Behind" as they teach in the US...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (September 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

I started this thread back in July, and I never ended up placing an order. I appreciate all the feedback.

I finally placed an order today for a 500, 456, and 469. It was only $10 more for the EMS shipping ($17 vs $7 for standard), so maybe that will speed up the delivery times. I have never been interested in double-ended pens before now. But after watching some reviews, the 469 got my interest.

Now I need to pick some PenBBS inks from Vanness, for when the pens arrive. Any recommendations?

Thanks

I have a few PenBBS inks, and out of them, #384 Blueberry is my favorite. It's a wet, saturated dark purple with gold sheen. It's not super messy like a lot of crazy sheeners, in my experience.
    The others I've tried are:
    346 Misty Mountains-light gray that I wished was darker
    Green snow-decent teal with silver shimmer and worked well without much fuss
    Burning of White House 1814-dark gray/light black with gold shimmer that I had a lot of trouble with. It clogged A LOT in every pen.
    Matcha Ice Cream-a weird lighter green that performed well.

I have a few of each of the models that you mentioned, and the 456 was my favorite, until I got a 500. The 355 and 487 are also really good. I hope you have fun with them!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FrankenBeanzzz For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (November 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenBeanzzz View Post
    I have a few PenBBS inks, and out of them, #384 Blueberry is my favorite. It's a wet, saturated dark purple with gold sheen. It's not super messy like a lot of crazy sheeners, in my experience.
    The others I've tried are:
    346 Misty Mountains-light gray that I wished was darker
    Green snow-decent teal with silver shimmer and worked well without much fuss
    Burning of White House 1814-dark gray/light black with gold shimmer that I had a lot of trouble with. It clogged A LOT in every pen.
    Matcha Ice Cream-a weird lighter green that performed well.

I have a few of each of the models that you mentioned, and the 456 was my favorite, until I got a 500. The 355 and 487 are also really good. I hope you have fun with them!
    Great details, thanks! I was already considering Matcha Ice Cream.

That 384 Blueberry looks really nice, too. I may have to do samples because I already have 6 different bottles I am considering. LOL

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NumberSix For This Useful Post:

FrankenBeanzzz (November 5th, 2020)

Thanks

I ordered several PenBBS pens (and other chinese pens, all through Etsy) during the last months and here in Germany the goods are always delivered within the 2-3 weeks timeframe.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to crovax For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (November 7th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crovax View Post
    I ordered several PenBBS pens (and other chinese pens, all through Etsy) during the last months and here in Germany the goods are always delivered within the 2-3 weeks timeframe.

Fantastic news!

Another fun note: I ended up placing two separate orders on the same day (500, 456, 469) and (355, 352). For both orders, I added the extra EMS shipping fees. It wasn't that much more expensive.

I just got a PayPal refund for $10.50 from one of the orders. I'm guessing she may be planning to ship them all in one box and thus chose not to keep the extra shipping payment. The refund was thoughtful and unexpected.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NumberSix For This Useful Post:

FrankenBeanzzz (November 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Oh yeah, Beini is really great to work with. She's responded to all of my questions and corrected any issues I've had.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to FrankenBeanzzz For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (November 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenBeanzzz View Post
    Oh yeah, Beini is really great to work with. She's responded to all of my questions and corrected any issues I've had.
    Yes, she does that. I ordered two pens a few days apart and I got a Paypal refund for the excess postage as they put both pens in one package.

I ordered a 355 a few months ago and they sent me a 500 in error. When I asked about this, she wanted some pictures of the pen and the box and then sent out the correct 355 a few days later. I offered to also pay for the 500 as it is a nice pen but she never replied.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to crovax For This Useful Post:

FrankenBeanzzz (November 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Interesting.
    I recently ordered a 355 in "cloud" on the etsy site. I was sent "snowflake" and reported it to the etsy site. I was told there was nothing that could be done because I inked the pen. I explained that I only inked it because I expected to be sent what I paid for. The mistake was on their part, not mine.
    Nothing...

I will just stick to ordering from eBay from now on...like I did with my 456, since the etsy people cant ship what you actually pay for.

Love Penbbs pens, their customer service needs work though.

Can't say they've lost a customer since all the penbbs in eBay have been bought from them already, but I'll never buy from etsy again.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Detman101; November 8th, 2020 at 10:27 AM.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Since Covid I'm still waiting for several fountain pen ordered through ebay in July.... And another one sent in April never appeared and they resend it...Personally I think the day of cheap fountain pens from China are over

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I have ordered pens and items from the PenBBS Etsy site on at least six occasions, likely more, and it has been a flawless set of transactions. I also had one request for sales assistance via email to the owner and again had prompt, professional action. Works for me.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

FrankenBeanzzz (November 8th, 2020), NumberSix (November 8th, 2020)

Thanks

My order changed to "Pre-transit" status on Etsy. That sounds encouraging.