Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Greatest Pencil I've Come Across

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Default Re: The Greatest Pencil I've Come Across

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Mitsubishi Uni and Tombow Mono for me. Consistently good.

Agree with Corniche about not wasting OGF on a disposable, would much more like to see it used to make Native American Flutes. Great timbre (pun fully intended).
    Tombow pencils are top-notch. I forgot about them.

I live near an OGF cedar grove. The trees are massive, but not quite as big as the California Red woods. They would have been harvested long ago except the county government keeps stepping in to stop the logging.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

I like IBM testing pencils. Nice for crosswords. Sometimes use my 6B drawing pencils.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I like IBM testing pencils. Nice for crosswords. Sometimes use my 6B drawing pencils.
    Hi Pajaro,

I like the Electrographic pencils from IBM, but their cost is prohibitive - if you can find them - the NEWS 600 gives very similar performance for a tiny fraction of the IBM's price.

- Sean :-)

Thanks

For those curious about the original Eberhard Faber Blackwings, and how they compare, I have a short Blackwing and one I have not yet sharpened. The used one is harder and dryer than I remember, harder and dryer than a current "Pearl". Maybe I remember them softer than they were, or maybe they have hardened over the last 30 years? I bought a box in the early mid-90s from a stationery store in Manhattan that never reduced their prices on old stock and never threw anything away. Also bought six or ten boxes of EF Mongol #1. I blew some dust and grit off the boxes, which were on higher shelves behind their good-selling things. EF had sold out to Faber-Castell, and I was looking for the old boxes, the yellow and white boxes with black lettering. The dozen Blackwings were $6.00, if anyone is curious.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

guyy (July 12th, 2021), Lloyd (July 9th, 2021)

Thanks

Glad to see this thread brought back to life, and thanks for all the recommendations. I just put in an order for a Musgrave Heritage Collection (their 12-pencil sampler) to find a new favorite.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rkesey For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (July 12th, 2021)

Thanks

I have not tried the Blackwing yet, it end up too expensive with shipping. But I managed to get a box of Mitsubishi Hi-Uni 2B from Japan and it's probably the best pencils I've tried. And I've tried many, many brands including Faber, Tombow, Cretacolor, Caran D' Ache, Staedtler, Blick, Utrecth, Bruynzeel design, Prismacolor, Design Drawing, Derwent, etc etc.. and I tell you that the graphite of the Hi-Uni is really, really smooth. It's a different experience. It's a bit smoother than Tombow which is a pretty darn good pencil. Some say you should get the Mitsubishi Hi-Uni, not the Mistubishi Uni which is different but never tried the non- "Hi-Uni".