Thread: FS: 1st Year Cordovan Parker 51 | Parker Vacuum Filler Crystal

Thanks

Default FS: 1st Year Cordovan Parker 51 | Parker Vacuum Filler Crystal

Condition (n.b.): Both pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed in the last year. Each of these pens is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other problems. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line.

THESE PENS HAVE NO CRACKS, CHIPS, PERSONALIZATIONS, LOOSE OR MISSING PARTS, MISALIGNED TINES, OR THREADING/CLUTCH ISSUES.

1. 1941 (1st Yr) Parker 51 (Cordovan Brown, Lucite, DJ w/ aluminum blindcap jewel, 1st Yr 16k GF Cap and Clip, Vacumatic Speedline Filler, 14k F nib). Measures 5 1/2" capped. The comparatively seldom seen first year 51 in Cordovan is distinguished by details lacking on later 51s. This one displays the following first year features: imprint on the blindcap with '1' date code (no dots) indicating 4th quarter 1941 manufacture, metal Speedline filler, first year 16k gold-filled cap distinguished by its double-framed indicia, first year clip with larger blue diamond and incised 'Parker' stamp visible on the underside, plain/unstamped 1st yr nib, and double jewels. The blindcap jewel is aluminum while the cap jewel is plastic, as is known to have been common among 51s manufactured in the later quarters of 1941. 14k nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line. I haven't sealed the hood yet in case someone wants a photo of the nib, but I'll seal it with Zorn's rosin-based sealant before shipping on request. Condition: Cap is clean aside from one small, light ding above the indicia (see photo of pen uncapped). Aside from that, this pen is near mint. No brassing present aside from tiny spots on the 3 corners of the clip arrow (shadowy areas on blindcap tassie in the photos are merely reflections). Lucite has a smooth, lustrous finish with no notable scratches or other blemishes. Blindcap imprint is the deepest I've personally encountered: factory deep with no discernible wear. Price: $380

2. 1932-3 Parker Vacuum Filler Crystal (Black celluloid w/ totally transparent barrel, GPT, Vacumatic Lockdown filler, 14k XF/F nib). The pen that would become the Vacumatic saw significant changes over its first year of production. Parker changed the name from "Golden Arrow" to "Vacuum Filler" before finally settling on "Vacumatic." The low production numbers and unique design features of the Golden Arrow and Vacuum Filler make them especially desirable today. This Vacuum Filler (as marked on the barrel and nib of this pen) has several unusual features that would be abandoned by Parker in ensuing years. Unlike a Vac, the section is solvent welded to the barrel and cannot be unscrewed. In addition it has an early version of the lockdown filler unit with a celluloid ring that fits between the barrel and the blind cap when the filler is installed (see last photo above). This Junior model is distinguished from the std. sized VF by having 2 cap bands instead of 3 and measuring 4 3/4" as opposed to 5" capped. In response to the popularity of the demonstrator pens issued exclusively to dealers when Parker began to test the market for its innovative design, the company introduced a Vacuum Filler with an entirely transparent barrel (as opposed to the striated transparency of other models). Known as the Crystal, it was essentially a demonstrator lacking the "Demonstrator" imprint on the barrel. On the Vacuum Fillers don't turn up often. And when they do they frequently have damaged or replacement nibs. I'm happy to report that this pen has an original, undamaged 14k "Vacuum Filler" nib. That nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF/F line. Condition: This pen is mechanically sound and presents well in a case but does show some significant cosmetic wear when examined more closely. The flaws have been factored into the price. I cleaned it up as best as one can, but there are still numerous dings on the barrel and cap. There are also some scratches on the barrel (especially around the imprint, but these extend no farther) and blind cap. Breather holes in the cap look a little larger than usual, so possibly enlarged. Finally, there is high point wear on the arrow of the clip, edges of the cap bands, and tassie edges as well as a couple pin-sized dings on the cap bands. All parts are original and the barrel transparency is very good. Plunger sometimes requires a little help with a finger to spring back up but fills the barrel to factory capacity. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is weakened but still fully legible (VFs had no date codes). An historically significant pen that's not easy to find in any condition. Price: $180

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: Pens purchased on the weekend are mailed on Tuesday. Otherwise they are mailed within 2 business days of payment. All pens that do not come with their original boxes are packaged in thick PVC tubes to protect them in transit. To CONUS locations the following shipping options are available:

USPS First-Class with tracking for $5

USPS Priority with tracking for $8

International Customers: Please contact me for shipping quote if located abroad (delivery confirmation required). Please do not ask me to commit mail fraud by altering the declared value of a pen for customs.

New York Customers: For tax purposes, I am now required to add an 8% sales tax on any sale made in the state of NY. If your shipping address is in NY state, please let me know before payment to receive an adjusted total. Free shipping is included for NY State residents to help defray the extra cost.

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to reply PM me with firm request to purchase. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs after a hold is placed, then pen(s) may become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something objectionable or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). Buyer must ship the return no later than 2 weeks after it was delivered to receive a refund. I've sold pens online for well over a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by popcod; August 2nd, 2020 at 01:05 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)