Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Private Messages

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Default Re: Private Messages

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Ambiguity when it is intentional is fine, ie., in creative writing. But generally, clarity is preferrable when you are communicating, or attempting to.
    Well, sure.

But there is no difference in "clarity" between these three statements:

1) Everyone can have a drink of water when he or she needs it.

2) Everyone can have a drink of water when they need it.

3) Each of you can have a drink of water when you need it.

There are some qualitative/contextual differences, but no difference in degree of "clarity."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    ...This is what happens when an abstract thinker with a MENSA IQ...
    wait, someone on this thread? I just post the drivel without the genius part; intelligence not required.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I asked someone who is a long term member for their opinion on a post that I had read on here, I sent a private message. Their answer was they did not trust private message and they would not answer, they said that it was too easy to pass a message round, messages were not private.

This cannot be right surely, it does not say very much for people.
    That person's reply likely has much to do with his or her own behavior on FPGeeks (e.g., passive aggressive) and how he sees himself perceived. As mentioned above, nothing is truly private, but over-the-top paranoia from another is not something you ought to embrace. Take the cue, don't interact with him and leave him be.
    That means there are no more than two people left.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post

Note: APA does not state that he/she cannot be used, only that it is context driven rather than a slavish rule. Does this additional information (the he/she part) have any value?.
    Right. What also needs to be acknowledged is that the need, or the expectation, that one would have to rewrite a sentence in order to accommodate the lack of a third person singular gender neutral (or inclusive) pronoun that also applies to humans is exactly indicative of the problem. By simply adopting a gender neutral pronoun for humans, one can avoid this convoluted revision or the overly-formalized "he or she" constructions. Common sense change can have its place, too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Ambiguity when it is intentional is fine, ie., in creative writing. But generally, clarity is preferrable when you are communicating, or attempting to.
    Well, sure.

There are some qualitative/contextual differences, but no difference in degree of "clarity."
    None of those sentences contains a serial comma, which was the specific scope of my original comment.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Well, sure.

None of those sentences contains a serial comma, which was the specific scope of my original comment.
    sorry, I thought that you were responding to the comment immediately above yours (about gender and pronouns)

Thanks

Silver, then how about this example:

"I have three brothers: Henry, Frank and John."

Is there some sort of ambiguity or confusion here about the brothers' names?

Thanks

Or this case:

"The colors of the US national flag are red, white and blue."

You see, one of the rules for commas is to use one in place of the word "and" when it is removed from a list, as in, "The colors of the flag are red and white and blue." The Oxford comma rule is actually an exception to this other rule: "except when the 'and' comes before the final item in the list: then both the comma and the 'and' are used." In several cases, this exception is unnecessary for clarity (see my examples above). More rules and/or exceptions is not very sensible, even contrary to logic.

Thanks

How about the classic "Eats shoots and leaves."
    Pick a place to insert a single comma.
    Is the result the same? Unambiguous?

Thanks

That's not a good example because you gave the number of items in the list. That adds a data point external to what's under discussion.

If you had said "my brothers are Henry, Frank and John", there would be ambiguity and you would be making an assumption unless you were 100% certain of the cultural context. Although unlikely, "Frank and John" would be a legal name in many countries.

Not putting commas in a list usually (perhaps always) involves making an assumption.

PS: Speaking of Frank, Frank Zappa named a daughter "Moon Unit". According to him her middle name is Unit.

Thanks

[Quote\]Rubbish. It is simple to structure a sentence to include he/she, but it is totally unnecessary under the guidelines given by APA, and it is quite obvious why this is so.[/QUOTE]

"Rubbish?" Fear not, I will not report you to the admin/mod whoever they are.

Did you mean "include?" I meant "exclude." I do agree that is simple to structure a sentence to avoid using "she" or "he." That comment was intended to draw attention to the folly of the APA, not make a judgment on the writing skills of the general population.

Maybe the issue is that I don't see what you say is the obvious need for changing a perfectly clear plural word to be singular.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post

That's not a good example because you gave the number of items in the list. That adds a data point external to what's under discussion....
    "Rubbish". It IS a good example of how the Oxford comma is not ALWAYS necessary for clarity. That's the whole point of being flexible (and not absolutist) with the rule. I have not and would not claim that the Oxford comma is NEVER necessary. Absolutist claims, like those above, are not defensible in practice. There are clear, easy examples when that additional comma is superfluous for clarity (and I gave examples). I know of what I speak. It is my profession. I have to make these judgments daily (when school is in session).

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TSherbs; August 8th, 2020 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post

How about the classic "Eats shoots and leaves."
    Pick a place to insert a single comma.
    Is the result the same? Unambiguous?
    See above.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post

Did you mean "include?" I meant "exclude." I do agree that is simple to structure a sentence to avoid using "she" or "he." That comment was intended to draw attention to the folly of the APA, not make a judgment on the writing skills of the general population.

Maybe the issue is that I don't see what you say is the obvious need for changing a perfectly clear plural word to be singular.
    Whoops! I did indeed misread your statement in part.

However, I stand by what I said. It is not folly on the part of the APA, it is a perfectly sensible stylistic suggestion

You did make a judgement on the writing skills of others though.

Thank you for the explanations. I was aware of the difference between the difference between the descriptive and proscriptive camps of grammar. It remains odd to me that the APA prefers to force a plural word into a singular hole to accommodate writers who are unable to structure a sentence to avoid he/she entirely.
    It is simple to construct a sentence excluding both he/she or they. In the context of human research it is not usual to write in a completely abstract fashion.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; August 8th, 2020 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks

Some people would say that the use of he or she in a sentence is not relevant and that language should move towards non gender based descriptions.

I would be interested to hear of whether this approach applies to other languages, and indeed cultures. For example, I have a colleague who is Japanese and he regards the perfect wife as someone who polishes his shoes on her knees as he walks out the door in the morning.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Some people would say that the use of he or she in a sentence is not relevant and that language should move towards non gender based descriptions.

I would be interested to hear of whether this approach applies to other languages, and indeed cultures. For example, I have a colleague who is Japanese and he regards the perfect wife as someone who polishes his shoes on her knees as he walks out the door in the morning.
    You really know such a relict?
    Incredible, I thought they are extinct since many centuries in the developed world, despite some rumors from time to time.

Such artifacts should be showcased in museums in special exhibitions about human male stupidity.

... or be shipped with a one way ticket to some Muslim fundamentalist dominated areas where they can live their medieval fetish dream.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post

Incredible, I thought they are extinct since many centuries in the developed world, despite some rumors from time to time.

Such artifacts should be showcased in museums in special exhibitions about human male stupidity.

... or be shipped with a one way ticket to some Muslim fundamentalist dominated areas where they can live their medieval fetish dream.
    Never read a post quite like that, not sure that I would want to read a post like that again.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,018 Posts

You're a new member so I'm going to say that in my humble opinion this post is drifting off topic into the more contentious area of Politics, Religion and Society and that's not a route we like to travel down in The Lounge.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 9th, 2020), Chemyst (August 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post

Never read a post quite like that, not sure that I would want to read a post like that again.
    Hence why the OP was initially concerned about their private thoughts being shared.

Full circle.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chemyst For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 9th, 2020), Ole Juul (August 9th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,018 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post

Hence why the OP was initially concerned about their private thoughts being shared.

Full circle.
    Chemyst, you highlighted exactly what happens when threads drift into the Politics, Religion and Society area.
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 9th, 2020 at 09:51 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (August 9th, 2020)