Thread: Robert Oster - Black Violet

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Robert Oster - Black Violet

I love all things purple and ink especially. Of the dozens of inks I have sampled, about a quarter have been purple.

Along the way, I discovered Diamine Damson and J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune and with them, a love of dark, dusky purples.

I would love to use either as a daily work ink but Damson is a bone-dry writer and Pouiserre de Lune is a bit too light.

Enter Robert Oster's Black Violet. Aptly named, it is more black than violet, darker than Damson. It also flows well in my Pilot Stargazer (F) and the nib feels lubricated on the page like RO Carbon Fire, one of my favorite inks.

The ink exhibits some shading even with cursive, but even more when printing. As the ink is so dark, the effect is relatively subtle.

Dry times are around 15 seconds on Clairefontaine Triomphe paper. The ink behaves well on this and on more absorbent My Essential bullet journal paper that I use for work.

It will only feather or bleed through if you put down a huge amount of ink as you might when sketching a very dark value. Interestingly, on Tomoe River, the ink has less color saturation, appearing more gray.

I've noticed no creep or crud on the nib and feed. Finally, it is somewhat waterfast, surviving several seconds of exposure to a water droplet and to running water, leaving behind a cloudy, ethereal remnant of the original print. All I ask for in a work ink is to survive a quickly cleaned-up spill. This does that.

This ink is insanely hard to photograph accurately with my phone camera but I adjusted the color curves on the darker end of the photo to be as accurate as I could make it without throwing off the color of the paper.

At some point I will try this ink out in different pens and may update this thread with the results. Carbon Fire was sort of magical in that it seemed to flow well in everything so I'm curious to see if this product does as well.

From my Ink Journal:

Waterfastness, running water on the left, droplet on the right:

Last edited by azkid; August 3rd, 2020 at 10:59 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

aurore (August 15th, 2020), carlos.q (August 3rd, 2020), Chrissy (August 4th, 2020), damfino (September 7th, 2020), junglejim (August 3rd, 2020), PithyProlix (March 19th, 2023), Pterodactylus (August 3rd, 2020), Robert (August 3rd, 2020), VertOlive (August 3rd, 2020), Yazeh (August 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Robert Oster - Black Violet

Great review Azkid. I find the dark purples quite soothing.... Though I'm quite happy with Scabiosa (I prefer waterproof inks).
    If you like dark prune, you might want to check out a dark purple iron gall, from Gutenberg (Bible ink). Jens showed us a sample on Guess the ink thread

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Cool, will check it out!

I have a another Scabiosa sample to try. Maybe it works better in a wetter pen?
    Last edited by azkid; August 7th, 2020 at 08:52 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Very nice review - on my screen the Oster Black Violet looks similar to BungBox Ink of Witch, "which" (n.p.i.) I quite like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Great review Azkid. I find the dark purples quite soothing.... Though I'm quite happy with Scabiosa (I prefer waterproof inks).
    If you like dark prune, you might want to check out a dark purple iron gall, from Gutenberg (Bible ink). Jens showed us a sample on Guess the ink thread
    Hi Yazeh,

Scabiosa is simply a great ink...
    I will test some mixes to get a nice "Dark Scabiosa". If I get something useful and stable, I'll show...
    The idea is to mix about 60% Scabiosa with 20% ESSRI and 20% Gutenberg G10 (the brownish one).
    Scabiosa and ESSRI mix well - fine if you like a blueberry color.
    The bible ink is not saturated enorgh for my taste...

Sorry for being off topic
    Best
    Jens
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SchaumburgSwan For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (August 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SchaumburgSwan View Post
    Hi Yazeh,

Scabiosa is simply a great ink...
    I will test some mixes to get a nice "Dark Scabiosa". If I get something useful and stable, I'll show...
    The idea is to mix about 60% Scabiosa with 20% ESSRI and 20% Gutenberg G10 (the brownish one).
    Scabiosa and ESSRI mix well - fine if you like a blueberry color.
    The bible ink is not saturated enorgh for my taste...

Sorry for being off topic
    Best
    Jens
    Sorry to hear that. You're till doing that review?

Thanks

Sorry to hear that. You're till doing that review?
    Yes...
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Thanks

Robert Oster Go Go is my current favourite purple ink

Thanks

The motherboard also contains a number of connectors and ports, such as USB ports, Ethernet ports, and audio jacks. These ports allow you to connect peripherals and other devices to the motherboard and computer.
    https://justmotherboard.com/best-b450-motherboard/