Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 99

Thread: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

  1. #41
    Senior Member pajaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tecumseh, MI
    Posts
    1,223
    Thanks
    484
    Thanked 528 Times in 351 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    I guess it's whatever you call it.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

    Chuck Naill (August 13th, 2020)

  3. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Reno-Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 74 Times in 43 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    So far I'm not enamored of Conklin (new) nibs, but I do like the new pens overall. Why? Because they are heavy compared to most other brands. I like a pen I can use as a bludgeon should the need arise, and Conklin comes as close to that as I expect to find. I would have no problem with walloping someone upside the head with my orange Herringbone, for example. I know. Pens are for writing, not for walloping people. The only thing that would make a Conklin (new) better for me would be a high-pressure lever filler so I could squirt people with ink like in Three Stooges episodes. There is a 9 year old boy inside this 61 year old woman.

    Okay, I also like new Conklins because they are long (relatively speaking) and somewhat slender. They fit my hand well for writing.

  4. #43
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,356
    Thanks
    3,663
    Thanked 6,466 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Screw on cap?
    Screw off!

    more faithful new 51 odes/crass ripoffs to be had for a few bucks.
    no shortage of originals for anybody who cares enough to write with one.

    I s'pose it's good for them to get this one on the market before the world ends though.
    As I don't have any Parker 51's, and didn't really like the only one I ever tried, I would be interested to learn if they were known for drying out because of their push-on caps? If they were then the manufacturer could have considered the change-over to a screw cap would be a good idea when relaunching the all new Parker 51.

    I never really liked the aerometric filler and liked the vacumatic even less because they were both harder to clean out before changing ink colours than regular C/C pens, so I'm assuming the new version will come with a converter. I believe some of the later Parker 51's were made with a converter, but these hardly ever seem to appear for sale, and, even when they do, they tend to be really expensive.

    I agree that the new pen won't ever be a faithful version, and maybe should not be called a Parker 51 due to that, but it might turn out to be a nice enough pen when we see it. That is, if we all get to see it before the world ends.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    dneal (August 14th, 2020), jodylud (January 14th, 2021), manoeuver (August 9th, 2020), TFarnon (August 10th, 2020)

  6. #44
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,911
    Thanks
    2,049
    Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Screw on cap?
    Screw off!

    more faithful new 51 odes/crass ripoffs to be had for a few bucks.
    no shortage of originals for anybody who cares enough to write with one.

    I s'pose it's good for them to get this one on the market before the world ends though.
    As I don't have any Parker 51's, and didn't really like the only one I ever tried, I would be interested to learn if they were known for drying out because of their push-on caps? If they were then the manufacturer could have considered the change-over to a screw cap would be a good idea when relaunching the all new Parker 51.

    I never really liked the aerometric filler and liked the vacumatic even less because they were both harder to clean out before changing ink colours than regular C/C pens, so I'm assuming the new version will come with a converter. I believe some of the later Parker 51's were made with a converter, but these hardly ever seem to appear for sale, and, even when they do, they tend to be really expensive.

    I agree that the new pen won't ever be a faithful version, and maybe should not be called a Parker 51 due to that, but it might turn out to be a nice enough pen when we see it. That is, if we all get to see it before the world ends.
    Chrissy, answering your question above:

    The original Parker 51 cap has a very interesting design that allows them to protect the nib from drying out (helped also by the hood that covers much of the nib). The slip cap is facilitated by a thin but very, very sturdy "clutch" that is installed inside the cap which engages the double-ring on the pen barrel. Since both the ring on the barrel and the clutch are perfect circles (no notches or gaps), their sealing efficacy is quite high.

    I have several Parker 51 and every time I had those filled with ink, they became a very reliable go-to writing pen for random notes or signatures because they will continue to write without hard-starts weeks and months after.

    But I agree with your last point, that this new pen may turn out to be a nice one after all, but it seems impossible for it to "prove itself" because it's saddled with the burden of carrying the name "51" on its shoulder.
    Last edited by penwash; August 9th, 2020 at 07:19 PM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (August 10th, 2020), manoeuver (August 10th, 2020)

  8. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    I guess Parker wants to capitalize on the Parker 51 name and reputation. Nothing wrong with that, companies do it all the time. VW just brought out a new Golf. Guess that apart from some design features, and the fact that it has four wheels, a motor and a steering wheel, it's not quite like the original. Parker har also brought out several new versions of their Duofold pen. Some of these, i.e. the British and Danish version of the 50's, have no resemblence to the original. The later versions do not sport a button filler, and I hear no complaints about that. The new 51 resembles the old 51, at least in design. To me that is a fine enough reason for Parker to call it a 51.

    I don't really understand the fuss about the filling system. There are good reasons most new fountain pens are c/c fillers. They are easy to fill and easy to clean and it is mighty handy to be able to carry a few cartridges around in case one needs new ink, instead of having to carry around an ink bottle or checking all the time, whether the ink is about to run out. I would also expect that many buyers of new pens could be put off by a strange and unfamiliar filling system. So I fully understand Parker's decision to make it a c/c filler.

    I'm not quite cerain, why Parker has chosen a screw cap. Probably, it is a lot cheaper than a clutch, keeping down the price. But to me, it would have been nice if they had kept this feature of the original 51.

    Personally I wouldn't buy it because I would prefer a vintage one. It seems that most of the other respondents here do too. And that is fine. We are probably only a niche fenomenon to Parker, and not the target group anyway. If I were into buying new pens, what could put me off buying this pen is the price, and how the nib is seated relative to the section. To start with the last part, with the original 51 the nib touched the section, while it seems to linger a bit below on the new one. I don't like that design. It seems as something is wrong with it, hanging there. Or that there actually is no need for the section to hoover al the way above the nib (which is prbably true). About the price; I think it is a bit high. As already mentioned, other 51 copies can be bought at lower prices and there are many other pens to be had in this price range and below that to me seem to be perfect alternatives (e.g. Lamy has several good options).

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nethermark For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (August 12th, 2020)

  10. #46
    Senior Member Freddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gold Coast, NY
    Posts
    197
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 266 Times in 130 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing....No,no..Ain't nothing like the real thing, Baby......

    Don Quixote's inability to distinguish reality from the delusion's of his imagination
    leads him to attack a windmill, thinking it is a giant............
    tilting at windmills......................................... ........

    Fred

  11. #47
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,356
    Thanks
    3,663
    Thanked 6,466 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nethermark View Post
    I guess Parker wants to capitalize on the Parker 51 name and reputation. Nothing wrong with that, companies do it all the time. VW just brought out a new Golf. Guess that apart from some design features, and the fact that it has four wheels, a motor and a steering wheel, it's not quite like the original. Parker har also brought out several new versions of their Duofold pen. Some of these, i.e. the British and Danish version of the 50's, have no resemblence to the original. The later versions do not sport a button filler, and I hear no complaints about that. The new 51 resembles the old 51, at least in design. To me that is a fine enough reason for Parker to call it a 51.

    I don't really understand the fuss about the filling system. There are good reasons most new fountain pens are c/c fillers. They are easy to fill and easy to clean and it is mighty handy to be able to carry a few cartridges around in case one needs new ink, instead of having to carry around an ink bottle or checking all the time, whether the ink is about to run out. I would also expect that many buyers of new pens could be put off by a strange and unfamiliar filling system. So I fully understand Parker's decision to make it a c/c filler.

    I'm not quite cerain, why Parker has chosen a screw cap. Probably, it is a lot cheaper than a clutch, keeping down the price. But to me, it would have been nice if they had kept this feature of the original 51.

    Personally I wouldn't buy it because I would prefer a vintage one. It seems that most of the other respondents here do too. And that is fine. We are probably only a niche fenomenon to Parker, and not the target group anyway. If I were into buying new pens, what could put me off buying this pen is the price, and how the nib is seated relative to the section. To start with the last part, with the original 51 the nib touched the section, while it seems to linger a bit below on the new one. I don't like that design. It seems as something is wrong with it, hanging there. Or that there actually is no need for the section to hoover al the way above the nib (which is prbably true). About the price; I think it is a bit high. As already mentioned, other 51 copies can be bought at lower prices and there are many other pens to be had in this price range and below that to me seem to be perfect alternatives (e.g. Lamy has several good options).
    I agree with this and think it makes a lot of sense. I wasn't aware exactly how specialised and important the internal cap clutch was in the original Parker 51, but thinking about it, in the great scheme of things, everything moves along and can be redesigned. Many cars are redesigned regularly and are still given the original model name when they can be so updated they are barely recognisable with the originals.
    The design of the Parker 51 is now old and there are probably still thousands out there for those who want "an original vintage version." However, for those who don't like the filling system there will now be a new version available if newer users want that type of hooded nib pen with a C/C filler and a screw cap. Parker can cater for both markets.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  12. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    94
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 40 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    I have always found Parker pens to be somewhat boring. This new edition looks quite boring and meh to me.

  13. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tennessee USA
    Posts
    819
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 467 Times in 300 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by cj2020 View Post
    I have always found Parker pens to be somewhat boring. This new edition looks quite boring and meh to me.
    I have come to appreciate a good "boring" pen like vintage lever fill fountain pens that work and easily restored. That said, my two 1942 51's are as reliable as my Lamy Al Star.

    This new offering is boring to me because of the fill system. At least with a converter the user comes in contact with the ink a bit and is not hemmed in to a few choices.

  14. #50
    Senior Member Fermata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    427
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 462 Times in 237 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    The problem with all this free PR is that I now want to buy one to see if it is quite as bad as I think it is.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

    azkid (August 13th, 2020), Chuck Naill (August 13th, 2020), NumberSix (August 14th, 2020)

  16. #51
    Senior Member NumberSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    I have been thinking about this pen since I first saw pictures. As a lover of the vintage Parkers, my initial reaction was absolute refusal.

    But the more I think about it, the more it kind of grows on me. It's not a 51 in the classic sense. It's not even a WS 601. But it looks pretty good on its own and might be a nice pen. Plus, the steel nib version is inexpensive enough to give it a try. I may well end up ordering one when the pre-orders come back.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to NumberSix For This Useful Post:

    Fermata (August 14th, 2020)

  18. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tennessee USA
    Posts
    819
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked 467 Times in 300 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Unfortunately, I either stop buying pens or I will have to get a larger coffee cup holder. LOL!!

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

    TFarnon (August 14th, 2020), welch (September 3rd, 2020)

  20. #53
    Senior Member Fermata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    427
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 462 Times in 237 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
    I have been thinking about this pen since I first saw pictures. As a lover of the vintage Parkers, my initial reaction was absolute refusal.

    But the more I think about it, the more it kind of grows on me. It's not a 51 in the classic sense. It's not even a WS 601. But it looks pretty good on its own and might be a nice pen. Plus, the steel nib version is inexpensive enough to give it a try. I may well end up ordering one when the pre-orders come back.
    Parker will miss a trick if they don't try and recreate a Parker 51 box from the 1940s, I think it will increase the buying appeal,

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

    Chuck Naill (August 15th, 2020), NumberSix (August 14th, 2020), pajaro (August 25th, 2020)

  22. #54
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,911
    Thanks
    2,049
    Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Not to rub it in, but I thought it'd be interesting if the new Parker 51 have this robust mechanism to secure the clip as did the original one



    Background: I just restored this pen and noticed that the clip was rotating in place. So I might as well take the time to sketch a restoration note so I'd remember how it's done next time.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  23. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

    Ahriman4891 (February 4th, 2021), azkid (August 15th, 2020), catbert (August 14th, 2020), Chrissy (August 15th, 2020), Chuck Naill (August 15th, 2020), jodylud (January 14th, 2021), pocketses (February 23rd, 2021), Scrawler (August 18th, 2020), TFarnon (August 17th, 2020), welch (September 3rd, 2020)

  24. #55
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Indifferent at this price point.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to peace For This Useful Post:

    Kaputnik (August 25th, 2020)

  26. #56
    Senior Member pajaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tecumseh, MI
    Posts
    1,223
    Thanks
    484
    Thanked 528 Times in 351 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Screw on cap?
    Screw off!

    more faithful new 51 odes/crass ripoffs to be had for a few bucks.
    no shortage of originals for anybody who cares enough to write with one.

    I s'pose it's good for them to get this one on the market before the world ends though.
    As I don't have any Parker 51's, and didn't really like the only one I ever tried, I would be interested to learn if they were known for drying out because of their push-on caps? If they were then the manufacturer could have considered the change-over to a screw cap would be a good idea when relaunching the all new Parker 51.

    I never really liked the aerometric filler and liked the vacumatic even less because they were both harder to clean out before changing ink colours than regular C/C pens, so I'm assuming the new version will come with a converter. I believe some of the later Parker 51's were made with a converter, but these hardly ever seem to appear for sale, and, even when they do, they tend to be really expensive.

    I agree that the new pen won't ever be a faithful version, and maybe should not be called a Parker 51 due to that, but it might turn out to be a nice enough pen when we see it. That is, if we all get to see it before the world ends.
    My first Parker 51, midnight blue medium aero, bought in July, 1970, does not dry out. Never had the hood off. Recently left it up for a few weeks, and it wrote right away, as it always does. It is still my favorite pen. Fifty years, a lot of use. Still beautiful.

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (August 26th, 2020), Chuck Naill (August 26th, 2020), manoeuver (August 26th, 2020)

  28. #57
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,301
    Thanks
    5,821
    Thanked 8,504 Times in 3,150 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by robertcladner86 View Post
    How do you fill a Parker 51 fountain pen?
    The vintage models? There were two versions: vacumatic (which fills the barrel with repeated pumps of a plunger that sticks out of the end of the barrel) or the aerometric (an internal 'cartridge', permanently attached, that fills with ink when you squeeze a bar that compresses a sac). Both work well, the former holds more ink.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    NumberSix (September 3rd, 2020)

  30. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Reno-Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    82
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked 74 Times in 43 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    I don't care. I want one of the deluxe ones with the gold nib in Plum. I just do. My second choice is the same deluxe in black. I like converters, because I can just put a little ink in my pen and change it easily.

  31. #59
    Senior Member penwash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Dallas, as in the 80's TV Series
    Posts
    2,911
    Thanks
    2,049
    Thanked 3,966 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by TFarnon View Post
    I don't care. I want one of the deluxe ones with the gold nib in Plum. I just do. My second choice is the same deluxe in black. I like converters, because I can just put a little ink in my pen and change it easily.
    Cool. Looking forward to your review when you get a hold of those.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

  32. #60
    Senior Member Empty_of_Clouds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Posts
    2,290
    Thanks
    554
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 862 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

    For me the question is: does this pen either carry on the tradition of the Parker 51 or improve upon it? At the moment I am not reading anything to suggest it does either of those things.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

    Runnin_Ute (January 23rd, 2021)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •