Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

The first generation Parker 51 pens had a Vacumatic filling system, which had a pump at the back end of the pen under the blind cap. The second generation 51s have the aerometric filling system, which had a squeeze bar inside the barrel, much like some converters, and a breather tube inside with a design that was designed to prevent flooding when flying. Google the two and you'll find pictures that may make it clearer.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I want to throw in a non-pen-specific item, but worth noting: generational change.

For decades, maybe centuries, the concept of hand-me-downs and antiques and 'used goods' seemed obvious and common. Who wouldn't like a nice piece from the past, a bit of history, at a reasonable cost? well, the fact of the matter is that there is a distinct waning of interest in purchasing used furniture, clothes, and most any other item. For anyone in the last decade or two who has had to clean out a parent's house or other, you will know the situation of the thrift stores becoming more and more picky about what their trucks will take, all the way down to refusing the entire load.

Many thrift/bargain stores no longer take "dark" furniture (i.e. old wooden furniture from the past) because of a lack of demand. All of this is to mention that I have seen on numerous occasions, on various pen forums, a younger audience that finds old pens creepy. That someone else used it is icky and they would far prefer purchasing something new. Yes, there are still those who find an interest in the past, but the other phenomenon has come up often enough it is worth mentioning.

There are other reasons that a pen like this could find a new audience.
    Does this mean that if, when I am gone, no one will want to buy my Harden solid cherry bedroom set, four-poster bed with canopy? Not that I would care.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Jerome Tarshis;321312][QUOTE=fountainpenkid;320513]
    Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post

Your experience with dry-out is interesting--not my (albeit quite limited) experience with modern pens, but maybe others have found this to some extent..
    I don't mean to hijack an interesting thread, but I keep reading complaints from Pajaro and others that they need to moisten a nib with saliva, or hold it under a faucet, or otherwise Take Serious Steps, to get it started. I find to my surprise that I own as many modern as vintage pens. None of them has ever behaved in that way. It's true that my post-1989 Aurora 88 writes a finer line than I'd prefer, but that is commonly observed of Aurora pens and the line is pleasantly wet if not gorgeously thick.

Is it possible that I'm being saved by using medium or even broad nibs?
    It is possible. My broad or medium nibs are more likely to start. Most of my pens are fine or extra fine. My mediums usually start and write fairly fine lines until they get warmed up.