Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

Thanks

Default Re: About that new Parker 51 (2020 edition)

Hi Empty of Clouds, et al,

This is precisely why I held back and only ordered a standard fp/bp set in teal. I'd definitely go for a Plum Deluxe set myself, if I knew the quality was there, but Parker is playing this release very close to the vest.

There haven't been ANY pre-release reviews about this pen from ANYONE. Seems Parker isn't releasing any "scouting" specimens to reviewers to stir up excitement.

That troubles me a bit, but not enough to keep me out of this completely; hence my purchase.

- Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Given my history of terrible decision-making with vintage Parker 51s - divesting what I should have kept, buying lemons, losing a pen etc. - I was most interested in the announcement. To me it represents the ease of 'walking into the store' and buying something new with a warranty. It would have been a refreshing change of pace to be honest, but I don't see much here to attract. What I do see though is design changes that appear to be exercises in cost cutting, compared to the originals.

There's a bit of trend going on in the last year to two, with brand names being bought and 're-issues- coming out. The closest new to vintage comparison - on quality, performance and price - seems to be the re-issued Pelikan 120, although that's only my opinion based on very limited evidence.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (January 18th, 2021), Kaputnik (January 18th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by corniche View Post

This is precisely why I held back and only ordered a standard fp/bp set in teal. I'd definitely go for a Plum Deluxe set myself, if I knew the quality was there, but Parker is playing this release very close to the vest.

There haven't been ANY pre-release reviews about this pen from ANYONE. Seems Parker isn't releasing any "scouting" specimens to reviewers to stir up excitement.

That troubles me a bit, but not enough to keep me out of this completely; hence my purchase.

- Sean
    For your (and everyone else who bought one) sake, I hope the new 51 is at least as well made as the modern Duofold.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

The other day, I preordered the standard one, in black, with Medium nib. After all this time, I am looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I still can’t believe they went with a threaded cap! And keeping a ring of metal where the clutch ring should be is such a terrible look.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Given my history of terrible decision-making with vintage Parker 51s - divesting what I should have kept, buying lemons, losing a pen etc. - I was most interested in the announcement. To me it represents the ease of 'walking into the store' and buying something new with a warranty. It would have been a refreshing change of pace to be honest, but I don't see much here to attract. What I do see though is design changes that appear to be exercises in cost cutting, compared to the originals.

There's a bit of trend going on in the last year to two, with brand names being bought and 're-issues- coming out. The closest new to vintage comparison - on quality, performance and price - seems to be the re-issued Pelikan 120, although that's only my opinion based on very limited evidence.
    Hi Empty of Clouds,

I know just what you mean. I know the FIRST Esterbrook release was a disaster and I'm hoping Parker's treatment of their own legacy pen will be more in line with Kenro's treatment of the legacy brand than its predecessor's was.

- Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

- Sean
    For your (and everyone else who bought one) sake, I hope the new 51 is at least as well made as the modern Duofold.
    Thank you, Will; I hope so, too.

- Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 1,132 Posts

- Sean
    This review (in Polish with English subtitles) includes a useful comparison of the new 51 with a vintage aerometric, vacumatic and special edition.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

penwash (January 30th, 2021), Sheptonian (March 12th, 2021), TFarnon (January 30th, 2021), welch (January 30th, 2021)

Thanks

After seeing that video perhaps I should revise my opinion.

Cons: screw lid, steel nib at vintage gold nib 51 price, not lucite (it seems).

Pros: screw lid(!), plastic maybe good, price is okay if the nib writes well, can get my favourite colour with begging for it.

Some crossover. The screw on lid for example, more secure but less convenient for quick notes.

Maybe it all balances out.

Thanks

Watching the Appelboom video on this pen, they say that the pen is made from 'precious resin'. Is this the same glass infused plastic 'precious resin' that MB use, or something different?

Thanks

Any ideas about why these don't appear on Parker's websites at all?

Also: in an impulsive move, I've decided to order one, mostly because I'm curious about the construction and any merits of the threaded cap. Of course, I no longer had an original one in my collection, so I've ordered a minty Cocoa aerometric original too, to compare.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; January 31st, 2021 at 01:27 PM.
    Will

Thanks

Update: Colorado Pens, where I ordered at Teal example, just let me know they've sold out (I'll have to wait 2 weeks.) I guess enough people think Parker may have gotten it right, or, like me, are very curious.
    Will

Thanks

I plan on ordering for sure. My I've owned multiple dozens of vintage ones over the years and I've just to try one of these new ones.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to blopplop For This Useful Post:

Frank (February 5th, 2021)

Thanks

I just got my Parker 51 Deluxe. I chose the plum color. It's a very dark plum that looks like brown in some lights. The pen is larger than the original 51s, broader, heavier and longer. It's definitely designed for a larger hand. I haven't inked it up yet. That will probably take some time. I don't really like the way it balances with the cap posted, but it's okay without the cap.

That's all for now.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 6th, 2021), Jerome Tarshis (February 7th, 2021), Linkinyeah (February 6th, 2021), penwash (February 6th, 2021)

Thanks

thank you for the feedback. Where did you get yours from?

TIA
    DAve

Thanks

I don't know if anyone else has noticed the nib looks suspiciously like the nib on a Vector / 15 / Jotter / Reflex/ first gen IM, Urbans. It really wouldn't surprise me if it is the case as for last 10 years NR have been using nibs from different models interchangeable across various Parker and Waterman pens. For instance I think current IM has a Hemisphere nib and Premier has a gold version of a Phileas and there are several other examples.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    According to the rumor, there will be a new pen that will bear the name "Parker 51" to be released later this year.

What do you all think?
    Excited?
    Disappointed already?
    Indifferent?
    What is Parker 51?
    I already have a vintage parker 51 and love it! So I'm gonna pass on this new one

Thanks

I got mine from Atlas Stationers (atlasstationers.com).

Thanks

I contacted Parker today about the lack of website presence etc. The representative said the marketing team is waiting to update the website all at once in early March, when new Duofold and Sonnet releases are coming.
    Will

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

25. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Seattleite (February 24th, 2021)