Thread: Tine alignment and writing angle

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Tine alignment and writing angle

Will dragging an FP from left to right, such that the tines are following each other, lead to misalignment and uneven wear/polishing? Or perhaps even twisting of the tines? (especially if the hand is rotated)

Reason for asking: in pointed pen calligraphy for running hands where the script is slanting left to right, it is usual to position the nib so that it is pulled up and dragged down on the long strokes, not laterally along the line. The tines get even pressure and it is easier to get consistent swells.

Added: my Pilot 823 (fine) seems to be a nicer writer if I use an upright script, or at least not drag it sideways.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; August 10th, 2020 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: Tine alignment and writing angle

Do you mean as when writing/drawing a horizontal line, from left to right, or vice versa? If you are not exerting any significant pressure, as when normally writing (crossing a 't', for example, or even drawing a line under a sentence), then I would not expect any damage to the nib. Even with a little pressure, the tines should not be misaligned as the leading tine is supported by the trailing one.

With a more forceful stroke, however, then it would be possible to misalign or otherwise damage the nib. But that is true irrespective of the angle.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

I probably didn't describe it well.

Using a dip pen the paper is angled to the body such that when writing ascenders and descenders the the nib is pushed and pulled in a vertical fashion such that pressure is even on each tine. The hand and forearm are more aligned with the slope of the writing. Often I see right handed writers (myself included) position the hand and forearm almost perpendicular to the slope of the writing. This means that on the up and down long strokes the tines are being dragged sideways (right tine leading left tine). I also think, though have no good data, that rotation of the wrist/hand is more likely in this position, further stressing the nib.

Thanks

I've written that way with my pens forever, and never damaged one. My Targa was purchased in 1983 and, under a loupe, the nib/tipping looks as good as new (as opposed to the rest of the pen which is decidely careworn). My view is that nibs are actually quite robust and, short of too much pressure or other abuses, are capable of delighting generations of writers.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (August 10th, 2020), Detman101 (August 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Fair enough. It was something of an idle thought that arose while writing and noticing how I was holding my hand and dragging the nib. And as I occasionally dabble in pointed pen calligraphy the difference stood out a bit. As you say, nibs are probably robust enough for such usage. Thank you for your insight into this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    I've written that way with my pens forever, and never damaged one. My Targa was purchased in 1983 and, under a loupe, the nib/tipping looks as good as new (as opposed to the rest of the pen which is decidely careworn). My view is that nibs are actually quite robust and, short of too much pressure or other abuses, are capable of delighting generations of writers.
    It impresses me that you could have kept from loosing and using a pen that long. I have read of others using pens they got in the '50's and "60's. Pretty cool in my book.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    It impresses me that you could have kept from loosing and using a pen that long. I have read of others using pens they got in the '50's and "60's. Pretty cool in my book.
    It's funny how some possessions "stick". I am not that forgetful, but have lost things over that period (a watch and a pair of spectacles come to mind instantly); yet my pens have all remained with me for the journey. The Targa was the first real pen I bought with my own money, to take to university. I wrote all my notes, assignments and exams with it. It saw a lot of action over those years. And it never failed me. Never burped, hard started, or otherwise misbehaved. Perhaps I have (consciously or not) repaid that loyalty by keeping it close? In any event, I am grateful to still have it as it has acquired a sentimental value that could not be replaced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Will dragging an FP from left to right, such that the tines are following each other, lead to misalignment and uneven wear/polishing? Or perhaps even twisting of the tines? (especially if the hand is rotated)

Reason for asking: in pointed pen calligraphy for running hands where the script is slanting left to right, it is usual to position the nib so that it is pulled up and dragged down on the long strokes, not laterally along the line. The tines get even pressure and it is easier to get consistent swells.

Added: my Pilot 823 (fine) seems to be a nicer writer if I use an upright script, or at least not drag it sideways.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but most dip pen nibs, even vintage ones are made of steel, and therefore inherently strong. Then too the force of writing is not great - perhaps all of one or two foot/pounds at the most. Add to that the you are speaking about force applied to the edge of the nib, where it is significantly stronger than on its 'face'. That said, I seriously doubt that a misalignment is at all probable.

As for you Pilot writing better at a given angle, I suspect that has far more to do with the nib's tip geometry than anything else. You can call it a 'sweet spot' if you like.