Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ignore: Gutted...I don't understand this. Everythings gone backwards...

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Re: Ignore: Gutted...I don't understand this. Everythings gone backwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post

I feel the Lamy Al-Star also fits your discription since nibs are replaceable, cartridges and converters are options, and the metal material makes is durable. Cost is variable, but mine was less than $20.
    I also love my Lamy Al-Stars, but they aren't particularly well-known as flexible nibbed pens for flex writing.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Ignore: Gutted...I don't understand this. Everythings gone backwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

I feel the Lamy Al-Star also fits your discription since nibs are replaceable, cartridges and converters are options, and the metal material makes is durable. Cost is variable, but mine was less than $20.
    I also love my Lamy Al-Stars, but they aren't particularly well-known as flexible nibbed pens for flex writing.
    Correct, they don't flex...and that is an absolute requirement for me.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    ... To me, the Noodlers Ahab is universal, affordable and easily serviceable.
    I believe that was the original concept.

If you haven't seen it already, Nathan Tardif's video about the Ahab is worth a look.

Yes indeed! That video is where I found out about the Ahab. Amazing man with amazing ideas...

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

True, I was sidetracked into the OP's comments about engineering. Sorry for not paying attention.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,155 Posts

True, I was sidetracked into the OP's comments about engineering. Sorry for not paying attention.
    Seems like a Safari or Al-Star can be modified to increase flex if you start with a gold nib.
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...e-flexibility/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

No apology required at all. You were only making a recommendation.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (September 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

I found this information on "flex"
    http://azfp.blogspot.com/search?upda...&max-results=1

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 4th, 2020)

Thanks

I think I'm starting to understand why people have multiple pens now.
    I also think I understand why people buy expensive high quality pens.
    I think I'm going to get on board with that movement...
    Last edited by Detman101; September 4th, 2020 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks

Mate, wait until you experience how different paper textures can be and how that influences matters. Then too, there is the influence of humidity on ink flow and paper 'tooth'.

All this truly makes fountain pens and ink so much more interesting while teaching us a degree of patience and tolerance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Mate, wait until you experience how different paper textures can be and how that influences matters. Then too, there is the influence of humidity on ink flow and paper 'tooth'.

All this truly makes fountain pens and ink so much more interesting while teaching us a degree of patience and tolerance.
    Oh my gosh....you're kidding me...please say you're kidding.
    I had no idea there were sooooo many things that affected these things when I started...lol.
    This is truly a balancing act.
    It has made me more patient though.
    I resolved an issue tonight with my Ahab that pretty much came down to a cursed nib from FPR.
    After patiently assessing the issue and then ditching that cursed nib, I grinded the stock nib down to the flex level I needed and a finer tip as well.
    Now all is well and I can change inks without the pen locking up...lol.

These pens... =p

Thanks

Many years ago, when drafters and engineers still used drafting machines and boards (before CADD became mainstream) those of us who did that sort of thing knew that ink would flow more freely on certain days and paper would take a pencil line more readily because of the humidity. I wish I was kidding, but no I'm not.

It's all part of the fun. Enjoy! (no sarcasm intended.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Many years ago, when drafters and engineers still used drafting machines and boards (before CADD became mainstream) those of us who did that sort of thing knew that ink would flow more freely on certain days and paper would take a pencil line more readily because of the humidity. I wish I was kidding, but no I'm not.

It's all part of the fun. Enjoy! (no sarcasm intended.)
    Wooow....Thats wild.
    So not only does my body feel the weather these days....my pen will too.
    HAH! We will be in pain together!!
    Ahahahahaha...this is too ironic.

Thanks

There might be a relationship with price and quality, however, I remain skeptical or at least I question the concept because when FP's were the norm, there were many good pens for which many could afford that were used by professionals and non-professionals to accomplish a task.

After reading up on the Bauhaus philosophy, I came to appreciate function is more important than form, but one need not sacrifice one for the other with some designs. Gold has function beyond it's form for example. I think I have four pens with gold nibs.

Charles Shultz used a dip pen to draw his cartoons. These were steel and made by Esterbrook. He used another brand for certain tasks as well.

I've just solved a need/want by getting into the Parker Jotter pen after discovering gel ink is a refil option. I had wanted a nice looking carry pen that used something similar to my all time favorite Pilot Precise V5.

I mean, at the end of the day, it is how we use a pen on a daily basis that, I would think, drives our acquisitions and interests.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

One of the pen magazines had an article years ago about David Macaulay, who evidently does his drawings with a Lamy Safari.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Not surprised, but thank you for posting.

Thanks

There might be a relationship with price and quality, however, I remain skeptical or at least I question the concept because when FP's were the norm, there were many good pens for which many could afford that were used by professionals and non-professionals to accomplish a task.

After reading up on the Bauhaus philosophy, I came to appreciate function is more important than form, but one need not sacrifice one for the other with some designs. Gold has function beyond it's form for example. I think I have four pens with gold nibs.

Charles Shultz used a dip pen to draw his cartoons. These were steel and made by Esterbrook. He used another brand for certain tasks as well.

I've just solved a need/want by getting into the Parker Jotter pen after discovering gel ink is a refil option. I had wanted a nice looking carry pen that used something similar to my all time favorite Pilot Precise V5.

I mean, at the end of the day, it is how we use a pen on a daily basis that, I would think, drives our acquisitions and interests.
    I think you're right there Chuck, I quickly forget that these pens were the standard back in the day. Some to the point that they were disposable (from what I've read).
    Not familiar with the Bauhaus philosophy but I'm taking that as bait! Will read up on that today, thank you! =]
    Though I think I feel the same, in my heart. I love the way that technical items function moreso than they look. After all, what good is a pretty item that has no capability or usefulness?

I wish it were possible to find "Gel Ink" refills in bottle-form like we have with our fountain pen ink...

Thanks

I think you're right there Chuck, I quickly forget that these pens were the standard back in the day. Some to the point that they were disposable (from what I've read).
    Not familiar with the Bauhaus philosophy but I'm taking that as bait! Will read up on that today, thank you! =]
    Though I think I feel the same, in my heart. I love the way that technical items function moreso than they look. After all, what good is a pretty item that has no capability or usefulness?

I wish it were possible to find "Gel Ink" refills in bottle-form like we have with our fountain pen ink...
    Chuck's comments above make great sense.

I will add that there is one other component that needs to be considered. That is the aesthetic appeal of form, shape, colour, brand, etc. that influences one's purchasing decisions including how much one is willing to pay for a pen. Hence, there is a market for Yard-o-lead sterling silver fountain pens, while at the same time, Chuck is also correct when he states that function usually trumps form, but not always.

As someone who grew up and went to school in the 1950s and early 1960s using fountain pens along the way I will say that my 'two bob' Platignum school pen gave me as good service (some would hold, solely by the grace of God) as my late wife's far more expensive Parker did for her during those same years.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Simply comparing price yields little valuable information: there are good expensive pens, bad expensive pens, good cheap pens, and bad cheap pens.

When you do your homework, know the terrain, and (after time) have a few financial bruises as part of the learning curve, you find that when you buy the right pen that costs a bit more, you get a return on your investment that shows value over a very long time... perhaps a lifetime. In this instance, the terms investment and value relate specifically to the owner's experience, not anything as mundane as resale, and that experience includes elements beyond mere function.

The only truism I can come up with is that a good cheap pen is rarely as good an investment as a good "more expensive" pen.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (September 5th, 2020), Detman101 (September 5th, 2020), penwash (September 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Simply comparing price yields little valuable information: there are good expensive pens, bad expensive pens, good cheap pens, and bad cheap pens.

When you do your homework, know the terrain, and (after time) have a few financial bruises as part of the learning curve, you find that when you buy the right pen that costs a bit more, you get a return on your investment that shows value over a very long time... perhaps a lifetime. In this instance, the terms investment and value relate specifically to the owner's experience, not anything as mundane as resale, and that experience includes elements beyond mere function.

The only truism I can come up with is that a good cheap pen is rarely as good an investment as a good "more expensive" pen.
    I can agree with that truism.
    If I could find the qualities I love in expensive pens that are found in a few of my favorite cheap pens...I'd definitely buy an expensive one.
    Eventually I hope to come across that pen...but so far, nothings been found.

Thanks

Don't rush to agree since the owner of the truism perhaps is attempting to justify his expensive deciisions. Make him prove his point.

For example is the Lamy 2000 a better pen that the Safari and why. Some might say it looks better. While that's all well and good, looking better does not render a better writtng tool.
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; September 5th, 2020 at 03:00 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post: