Thread: Montblanc Repair Service - Body Snatchers!?

Thanks

Default Montblanc Repair Service - Body Snatchers!?

Hello! I'm hoping to get some feedback regarding a donation pen that I sent to Montblanc for repair service. The pen is a 6yr old Johannes Brahms. I sent it in because the nib started writing scratchy out of nowhere and the piston knob was collecting ink. I was told the pen was basically deep cleaned and returned. Once I had it back, I noticed that I could not see the ink window of the pen. So I returned the pen again and they basically reported back that the pen and it's replacement parts do not have an ink window. Which makes no sense since the marketing material clearly shows an ink window. Did Montblanc switch the body of my pen without documenting it? The pen did come back with it's issues fixed and writing perfectly fine. But now I'm perturbed about my missing ink window.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc Repair Service - Body Snatchers!?

I searched for images of the Montblanc Brahms FP and noticed that while a few of them seem to have a dark blue striped ink window many of them don't have one.

I found this one for sale and would say it doesn't look like it has an ink window.

It's quite odd. However, if you have marketing material that clearly shows the ink window then I would go back to Montblanc and query this with them.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Alas, manufacturers are alway tweaking production, and that includes replacement parts.

If Montblanc abandoned the ink window design during production, new barrels in their spare parts inventory will likewise lack an ink window. And this brings me to that warning often shared with readers who own Montblanc pens they want to keep factory original yet plan to send to Montblanc for repair. Montblanc service is notorious for not respecting original parts on pens sent to it for service, and will routinely replace parts with new parts from current inventory. (I suspect the typical customer is quite happy with that.) Of course, the alternative is a skilled independent repairperson.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

jar (August 16th, 2020), Ole Juul (August 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Independant MB repairers are not beyond reproach either, I had one that switched out a telescopic filler and another who didn't return my pen, he said it had not arrived with him, later, a year later, admitted that he may have sent my pen to someone else by mistake.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    Independant MB repairers are not beyond reproach either, I had one that switched out a telescopic filler and another who didn't return my pen, he said it had not arrived with him, later, a year later, admitted that he may have sent my pen to someone else by mistake.
    Ouch! Who are they? Forewarned is forearmed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    If, by any chance, they read this comment then they may have the balls to hold up their hands and confess, if they do not then I shall have held on to mine.

Thanks

...if they do not then I shall have held on to mine.
    ???

Thanks

...if they do not then I shall have held on to mine.
    ???

You can put all the question marks you like but if you think I am going to publish the names of the two people that have screwed me over then you are a bigger dummy than you are pretentending to be.

Play your game somewhere else.

Thanks

Alas, manufacturers are alway tweaking production, and that includes replacement parts.

If Montblanc abandoned the ink window design during production, new barrels in their spare parts inventory will likewise lack an ink window. And this brings me to that warning often shared with readers who own Montblanc pens they want to keep factory original yet plan to send to Montblanc for repair. Montblanc service is notorious for not respecting original parts on pens sent to it for service, and will routinely replace parts with new parts from current inventory. (I suspect the typical customer is quite happy with that.) Of course, the alternative is a skilled independent repairperson.

I appreciate the information. It pretty much confirms what I was afraid of. I probably wouldn't feel so cheated had they been transparent about exactly what they were going to do with my pen. I'm not sure how much of a chance I have to get my ink window back even with the marketing material.

Thanks

The effect of saying “a repair person done me wrong“ and not identifying the wrong doer is to cast suspicion on all repair people.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Cyril (August 18th, 2020), silverlifter (August 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    The effect of saying “a repair person done me wrong“ and not identifying the wrong doer is to cast suspicion on all repair people.
    I suspect that's Johnny's intent. We know less about repairmen but more about Johnny_S.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Cyril (August 18th, 2020), jar (August 17th, 2020), silverlifter (August 17th, 2020), Stands on Feet (August 17th, 2020)

Thanks

No, no it really isn't. You may try to take it that way, perhaps in an attempt to create pressure on Johnny_S to name names.

Failure to name names may mean there is no proof, or the incident never happened.

Or that J_S simply won't name and shame.

If you take the absence of facts as proof of anything all of us will stand accused. Sadly, for some that's enough.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

Johnny_S (September 20th, 2020)

Thanks

If, by any chance, they read this comment then they may have the balls to hold up their hands and confess, if they do not then I shall have held on to mine.
    I don't understand that sentence because it doesn't seem to have a subject. What did you hold on to? Your balls or you hands?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I don't understand that sentence because it doesn't seem to have a subject. What did you hold on to? Your balls or you hands?
    He's holding on to the former by sitting on the latter. (Technically also sitting on the former but I digress.)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (August 25th, 2020)