Thread: Sheaffer Skripsert with Conical Nib

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,728 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default Sheaffer Skripsert with Conical Nib

Nestled among a bag of Sheaffer "School pens" that was given to me, are three peculiar ones that looks like the School pens, but instead of the open steel nib (thin and cheap looking, really), these came with nice conical nibs (similar to the famous "Triumph" nib, but smaller).

The caps have this wavy-lines pattern, which led me to some internet information by PenHero, Richard Binder, and others, yielding late 1950's as the estimated production years, and names like "500", "Skripsert" -- also the name Sheaffer gave to the ink cartridge this pen (and many other models) used -- possible silver palladium nib (which I thought at first unlikely given the low prices from $2-$5), until I noticed the tarnish on one of the nibs (not this one) which looks very similar to silver tarnish. Could it be then????

Anyhow, being intrigued now, I decided to clean up one of the three friends, this black barreled one, and after copious of dried blue ink was flushed from the pen and the cartridge, I syringe my current favorite, the Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz into the cartridge.

Several taps and scribbles later, the ink started to come out, and continue to write (and draw) consistently.

Had I not rummage in the bag, I wouldn't have found out about this pen, and what a pity that would be, because I like this pen, the nib, the way it writes, and I even like the big cartridge.

I like it a lot
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 25th, 2020), Chrissy (August 24th, 2020), Cyril (August 31st, 2020), Detman101 (February 2nd, 2021), FredRydr (August 25th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (August 31st, 2020), Yazeh (January 20th, 2021)