Thread: Accidental Ink Review: Iroshizuku Shinkai

Thanks

Default Accidental Ink Review: Iroshizuku Shinkai

I went for a walk after doing a morning crossword & forgot about the Pilot Capless in my shirt pocket. The shirt was 100% cotton, smooth finished canvas. It got warm on my walk so i took the shirt off and stuffed it into my backpack, depressing the click mechanism. Here’s the result:

http://https://imgur.com/a/jlQZnAs

Surprisingly purple, but perhaps that was from residual red ink in the nose cone/trap door mechanism.

The second picture is the result after laundering, including pre-wash.
    Don’t get this stuff on your clothes. It’s not billed as permanent, but it will persist.
    Last edited by guyy; August 25th, 2020 at 01:51 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 30th, 2020), aurore (September 22nd, 2020), junglejim (August 25th, 2020), Marsilius (August 25th, 2020), Yazeh (August 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Accidental Ink Review: Iroshizuku Shinkai

That first link doesn't work for me, but the second one is pure art.
    Fortibus es in ero

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

guyy (August 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. Both pictures are in the second link anyway, so i’ll just go ahead and delete the first.

Thanks

Most of the time you can get out stains (especially blue) with rubbing alcohol -> laundry if you act quickly enough. Unfortunate you were outside but the two splashes of color (in the pre-wash image) were .... art like Marsilius mentioned

Thanks

I like the first one better. Regardless, if I saw that on somebody's shirt, I'd know what it was and consider it a mark of class.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (August 27th, 2020)

Thanks

You guys are great. Thanks!

Thanks

How unfortunate!
    Anyway, surprisingly, shin-kai has a beautiful but subtle red sheen which can be clearly seen in your first photo.

It is also shown on this review:

https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/p...izuku-shin-kai

The best paper is made of cotton (high quality watercolor paper, for example). Perhaps ink reviewers should use those... Or their old white shirts!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
    The best paper is made of cotton (high quality watercolor paper, for example). Perhaps ink reviewers should use those... Or their old white shirts!
    I've been using a 100% cotton paper lately. One problem is that it not calendered and the non-hard surface feathers badly. Of course a few inks fare better, but some inks make it look like you're writing on blotting paper. I started a big project with this paper and therefore I'm committed to it, but I wouldn't use it again. I've found a 25% linen 75% cotton security paper that's excellent but very expensive, and I'll use that in the future.

Thanks

While Pilot Blue-Black washes off instantly with a bit of soap...

Thanks

Watercolour cotton paper can be hot-pressed, cold-pressed or rough, AFAIK. In general, cold-pressed paper is the most common, because it's something intermediate between the rough, which has a lot of texture, and the hot-pressed, which is the most 'flat'. If I were to try a watercolour paper for fountain pen writing (which may be not ideal), it would be the last one. But not two are the same, each brand has different characteristics. Fabriano from Italy makes one of the best, I have some cold-pressed for watercolour, but never used it with fountain pens...

For fountain pen writing there are more common papers, like the Original Crown Mill Pure Cotton (though I'm not sure it is 100%...), good, but not as good as their Laid paper, IMHO, or G. Lalo Cotton, which is also good, 50% and fountain-pen-friendly. But I love the texture and crispiness of G. Lalo Toile Impériale (not cotton, but a surprising and great experience with various inks).

In Spain, J. Vilaseca makes top quality cotton paper, but it's been very difficult to find...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bizarro For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (September 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
    How unfortunate!
    Anyway, surprisingly, shin-kai has a beautiful but subtle red sheen which can be clearly seen in your first photo.

It is also shown on this review:

https://www.mountainofink.com/blog/p...izuku-shin-kai

One of my Favorite Inks.
    VT

Thanks

Oh, I am always getting ink on my work scrubs. It’s a given. Usually black gel pen ink. Even if I attack it immediately with rubbing alcohol, it still leaves a stain.
    That being said, this is currently one of my favorite inks. Especially in a broader nib. I find it strange that with all the shades of ink out there, I’m mostly gravitated to boring old blues....but it has to be the right blue. This ink is a muted, lighter version of blue black. I don’t see any red sheen in it, but I just love the color, and of course, all the Iroshizuku inks perform perfectly.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
    Oh, I am always getting ink on my work scrubs. It’s a given. Usually black gel pen ink. Even if I attack it immediately with rubbing alcohol, it still leaves a stain.
    That being said, this is currently one of my favorite inks. Especially in a broader nib. I find it strange that with all the shades of ink out there, I’m mostly gravitated to boring old blues....but it has to be the right blue. This ink is a muted, lighter version of blue black. I don’t see any red sheen in it, but I just love the color, and of course, all the Iroshizuku inks perform perfectly.
    "Boring" old blues are peaceful and calming. They don't distract... they are...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

guyy (May 13th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post

"Boring" old blues are peaceful and calming. They don't distract... they are...
    Maybe I worded that wrong. I guess I was just expecting that I would have more varied tastes considering all the options out there....but even with just blue, the options are endless. Dark blue, light blue, warm blue, cool blue, true blue, blue green, blue gray, blue black, dusty blue, navy blue, teal blue, purpley blue, sparkly blue...of the 16 pens I own, with all being inked, 2 are black, one is brown, and the rest are varying shades of blue. I love blue!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

I love blue!
    Who doesn't?