Thread: Shouting first, "indoor voice" later?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Shouting first, "indoor voice" later?

Here's one that is a bit perplexing but maybe not uncommon.

I've got more pens inked than I need, probably more than I should. However, in addition to many of my regular, loved users, I've had good luck in the past year or so with new purchases that really hit the mark. As such, I enjoy so many of them and it allows me a wide array of inks and lines that I've kept them inked up. In recent days, however, I've also upped my correspondence and have been noticing something regarding the depth of color of the ink at various points of writing.

I haven't kept any careful notes to compare the inks, but at least a half dozen pens have done this: start out bold and dark(er) and after about a paragraph, lighten up noticeably and stay that way. I have a habit (in letters) of writing each page with a different pen and ink, so I can often see it a couple of times in one letter. Starts out bold of hue, then grows a bit fainter. Often I think the 2nd tone is closer to what the ink is.

I'm fairly certain it is obvious: when the pen sits (most are horizontal), the ink in the feed tends to concentrate, maybe even evaporate a bit. Once the initial flow is written off, the ink flowing next is less dense and more like what one would expect. Honestly, I've just not noticed it to any extent before (and that is many years) but I may have just not been observant. Or writing as much. Or as many pens inked. I think the first thing I'll try to note is if this happens with any pens stored nib-up; if not, I'll know it has much to due with flat storage.

Just wondering if anyone else ever has this minor issue?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 27th, 2020), Detman101 (November 9th, 2020), Empty_of_Clouds (August 26th, 2020), Marsilius (August 25th, 2020), silverlifter (August 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Shouting first, "indoor voice" later?

In general mine start out wet and dry up a it, which I always assumed was a result of writing faster than when I am "trying out a pen or ink." And I think I always write faster in real life than when trying a pen. Once I start going, I have had a feeling the ink can't keep up with the speed I am writing at in order to give full amount . . . You hypothesis makes sense. I kind of assumed, ink sitting there waiting to go and then, wait . . . not so fast please!
    Fortibus es in ero

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Yep. I see the same thing, almost always with vintage pens and ebonite feeds.

I also see the opposite. When I transport my pens to work in my bag, they sit in a case nib up. If the first thing I do after I unpack at my desk is start writing notes, the first couple of lines are much drier. Then, as the feed soaks up more ink, the line becomes a little darker and wetter. If, however, I do something else first, like deal with emails, by the time I pick the pen up from its horizontal position, it writes normally.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

My handwriting sometimes changes over the course of a letter. The lines grow further apart and less disciplined, though I haven't noticed a change in hand pressure on the nib. Maybe I've lost interest in what I'm writing at times? ;-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 26th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Maybe I've lost interest in what I'm writing at times? ;-)
    I do hope not.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

I've got more pens inked than I need, probably more than I should. However, in addition to many of my regular, loved users, I've had good luck in the past year or so with new purchases that really hit the mark. As such, I enjoy so many of them and it allows me a wide array of inks and lines that I've kept them inked up. In recent days, however, I've also upped my correspondence and have been noticing something regarding the depth of color of the ink at various points of writing.

I haven't kept any careful notes to compare the inks, but at least a half dozen pens have done this: start out bold and dark(er) and after about a paragraph, lighten up noticeably and stay that way. I have a habit (in letters) of writing each page with a different pen and ink, so I can often see it a couple of times in one letter. Starts out bold of hue, then grows a bit fainter. Often I think the 2nd tone is closer to what the ink is.

I'm fairly certain it is obvious: when the pen sits (most are horizontal), the ink in the feed tends to concentrate, maybe even evaporate a bit. Once the initial flow is written off, the ink flowing next is less dense and more like what one would expect. Honestly, I've just not noticed it to any extent before (and that is many years) but I may have just not been observant. Or writing as much. Or as many pens inked. I think the first thing I'll try to note is if this happens with any pens stored nib-up; if not, I'll know it has much to due with flat storage.

I have seen what you describe, but never thought of it as "an issue."

My pens concentrate ink inside their feeds while they lie horizontally on my desk or table, whether inside sleeves or not. It's a fact of life that they will all do this. Once the ink starts to flow from the converter or piston, the saturation of the ink may change. It can change significantly.

This will depend on how much evaporation has happened. It might not only be restricted to the feed that was full of ink. The ink in the converter will sometimes have evaporated too. I can fill several of my pens with ink, and within a couple of weeks or so there might be a mere trace or "muddy puddle" left inside the converter.

It can depend on how saturated the ink was to start with, or how well the cap fits and seals onto the pen. However, IMHO, it's typical rather than unusual.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

With my Pilot Custom 823 (fine) this never happens. The ink is always Iro Tsuki-yo. Starts off and finishes the same colour. However, when using a broader nib (like a stub or italic) I do notice this effect of lightening colour as the writing session goes on, but usually this only happens on Rhodia paper. Leading to the idea that this kind of paper (or whatever it is finished with) dries a nib out more quickly, The effect never occurs on Tomoegawa paper, in my experience. For completion, pens are stored upright or horizontal, though either way has no additional effect, again IME.

Overall, for me the effect is a function of the paper rather than feed saturation/evaporation.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; August 26th, 2020 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,430 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

Happens all the time. I generally just live with it. It does not occur with every ink and every pen, but the pens in use are stored nib-up, in a glass.

(And here I thought this would be a review of an ink called Shout First Indoor Voice Later. Dang.)
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 26th, 2020), VertOlive (August 26th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,132 Posts

Not really noticing this effect on Stalogy or Hobonichi paper. Occasionally the reverse — some pens take a little while to get going. In general, though, consistent (and illegible) colour from one paragraph to the next.

I would totally go for an ink called Shout First, Indoor Voice Later.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 26th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (August 26th, 2020)

Thanks

I've noticed this effect with some of my pens. For me it often happens in the same writing session, with the same pen and ink if I pause for fifteen to thirty seconds (taking notes during meetings, for example). I wondered at it, surmising it had to do with collecting ink in the feed. If you store the inked-up pen horizontally (like I do most of my pens, eye-droppers are nib-up), the ink seemed to saturate the feed and be ready at full flow. After writing for a while, it felt like I was writing the feed through and was now pulling from the reservoir. Pausing during the writing would let the feed catch up a bit.

Granted that was just my guess.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,794 Times in 1,645 Posts

Surprisingly, the Lamy Joy 1.5 that has been inked for weeks with a craptastic J. Herbin sparkle ink starts and behaves perfectly every time. Otherwise, the Pelikan starts like a fire hose with its ordinary M nib whatever the ink while the others mostly behave somewhere in between.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

20. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

This has happened to me too. More noticeable on some pens and some inks. Was happening to my Hemisphere with Waterman Bleu Mystère and with my Pilot Stargazer with RO Black Violet.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post
    I've noticed this effect with some of my pens. For me it often happens in the same writing session, with the same pen and ink if I pause for fifteen to thirty seconds (taking notes during meetings, for example). I wondered at it, surmising it had to do with collecting ink in the feed. If you store the inked-up pen horizontally (like I do most of my pens, eye-droppers are nib-up), the ink seemed to saturate the feed and be ready at full flow. After writing for a while, it felt like I was writing the feed through and was now pulling from the reservoir. Pausing during the writing would let the feed catch up a bit.

Granted that was just my guess.
    This is what I'm thinking also.
    I too have noticed this, but only with pens I've used very recently.
    Most of the time it's a pitiful dry start from a inked and neglected pen.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 27th, 2020), Jon Szanto (August 27th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (August 29th, 2020)

Thanks

I’ve found it frequently in vintage and modern pens, but most noticeably in the recent hot weather here in the UK- I’d assumed that evaporation from the feed accounted for it.
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to oldstoat For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 27th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,430 Times in 1,716 Posts

Now that it's been mentioned, I'm seeing it just about everywhere: in my own notes, in pen pal letters, and I can't un-see it.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Now that it's been mentioned, I'm seeing it just about everywhere: in my own notes, in pen pal letters, and I can't un-see it.
    I sincerely hope I have not opened the door to a world of pain for you.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (September 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

I thought of this thread again yesterday. On my last trip to the US I bought a bottle of Vinta Sirena ink from Vanness.

When I filled a pen and wrote with it I was disappointed and found it a much lighter shade than I'm usually happy with. So the uncapped bottle, covered with a piece of coffee filter paper, went onto the windowsill for a couple of weeks so that it could evaporate some water. That worked reasonably well and the ink became a more saturated green shade that I preferred.

A few days ago I thoroughly cleaned out a green marbled Waterman Hemisphere with Preface 18ct nib that had completely evaporated away a partial converter full of J.Herbin Emeraude de Chivor. It has a tendency to do this so it's converter is never completely filled with any ink.

Once it was dry I filled it with my Vinta Sirena. By the time I use it for writing a letter, I'm hoping it will have become an even more saturated green. Fingers crossed.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (September 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I thought of this thread again yesterday. On my last trip to the US I bought a bottle of Vinta Sirena ink from Vanness.

When I filled a pen and wrote with it I was disappointed and found it a much lighter shade than I'm usually happy with. So the uncapped bottle, covered with a piece of coffee filter paper, went onto the windowsill for a couple of weeks so that it could evaporate some water. That worked reasonably well and the ink became a more saturated green shade that I preferred.

A few days ago I thoroughly cleaned out a green marbled Waterman Hemisphere with Preface 18ct nib that had completely evaporated away a partial converter full of J.Herbin Emeraude de Chivor. It has a tendency to do this so it's converter is never completely filled with any ink.

Once it was dry I filled it with my Vinta Sirena. By the time I use it for writing a letter, I'm hoping it will have become an even more saturated green. Fingers crossed.
    Similar to that trick from the thread about Pilot Blue-Black ink at 200%. I just received a bottle of Pilot Blue-Black, and you've reminded me to try the evaporation trick with a sample.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post
    Similar to that trick from the thread about Pilot Blue-Black ink at 200%. I just received a bottle of Pilot Blue-Black, and you've reminded me to try the evaporation trick with a sample.
    Yes go for it as it's a good idea. I'm also happy with a bottle of Parker Quink that I've evaporated into something that looks much better.
    (Just in case you have cats though, remember to put it somewhere they can't access. : )

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (September 4th, 2020)