Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HELP REQ: The little straw...in the butt end of the feed.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Default Re: HELP REQ: The little straw...in the butt end of the feed.

One good thing about all the variables at play is you have several paths to what you want.

• adjust the ebonite feed to the nib and source or engineer a non-corroding converter nipple — the most challenging path, as you know
    • tweak the feed channel in the original plastic feed for greater flow (there are threads about this elsewhere)
    • find the right ink

Maybe try the last one first? It's amazing how a pen can be transformed once you find the ink it likes. There's a lot of ink knowledge here (Chrissy for one) and samples will keep your costs down.

All the above assumes you're still enjoying the process on some level — that you like working a problem. This is supposed to be an enjoyable diversion, after all.

My handwriting is too abysmal to opine on flex writing and flex pens. If the goal is beautiful calligraphy, letterforms can be practised with a pencil without having to fight a temperamental pen and one's own lack of muscle memory at the same time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    One good thing about all the variables at play is you have several paths to what you want.

• adjust the ebonite feed to the nib and source or engineer a non-corroding converter nipple — the most challenging path, as you know
    • tweak the feed channel in the original plastic feed for greater flow (there are threads about this elsewhere)
    • find the right ink

Maybe try the last one first? It's amazing how a pen can be transformed once you find the ink it likes. There's a lot of ink knowledge here (Chrissy for one) and samples will keep your costs down.

All the above assumes you're still enjoying the process on some level — that you like working a problem. This is supposed to be an enjoyable diversion, after all.

My handwriting is too abysmal to opine on flex writing and flex pens. If the goal is beautiful calligraphy, letterforms can be practised with a pencil without having to fight a temperamental pen and one's own lack of muscle memory at the same time.
    That's a beautiful plan of attack, thank you Catbert.
    I've actually explored all of those with the first being where I'm currently positioned. Finding that little tail is the core of my existence right now lol...
    I laugh at myself because everywhere I go i'm grabbing things with small parts to see if they have ANYTHING resembling that little ebonite/plastic tail that I need to complete this ebonite feed. I'm already half-crazy, I'm sure this completes the outer appearance of being a raving madman...

I have modified the plastic feed that Elegy came with beyond my actual level of comfort. She can write about 5 words in full-flex before starving the feed. So it's got potential...but I'm not aware of how to take the plastic feed any further without risking damaging it beyond recovery. As I do not know of a replacement for it, I can't risk breaking it. That is why I decided to move on to implementing the Ebonite feed in Elegy. I know where to buy more replacements (FPR) and that makes the risk of modification much lower. Now if I could only find that stupid little tail that's on the other pens feeds...lol.

I have been acquiring ink samples from Goulet pens for all the shades I like, but waiting on the mail has made that a long and drawn out process. And they're only a state away from me. The postal system has me going postal these days and I'd rather tinker than wait on that broken system to provide anything...honestly.

Thank you so much for listening/reading and providing wise paths of execution for this little project of mine.
    I appreciate it! You all are helping me maintain some semblance of sanity...lol
    Last edited by Detman101; August 28th, 2020 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I'm sure there are many people who want one pen with a nib that writes either as a normal nib or as a flexible nib.
    Isn't it just a case of finding that type of a pen without spending a lot of money on it?

Isn't the Noodler's Ahab or Konrad meant to be a pen that fits this description?

Goulet Pens has this YouTube video about flex pens:

Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I'm sure there are many people who want one pen with a nib that writes either as a normal nib or as a flexible nib.
    Isn't it just a case of finding that type of a pen without spending a lot of money on it?

Isn't the Noodler's Ahab or Konrad meant to be a pen that fits this description?

Goulet Pens has this YouTube video about flex pens:

Thank you for the link to the video!
    Indeed it is! My next step was to acquire either a Noodlers Ahab or FPR Jaipur_V2 with Ultraflex-nib upgrade.
    Unfortunately, both of those pens would be travel casualties though both would be a better baseline to start/stop with.

I will find out tonight if the Penbbs-456 is going to work or if I have to replace the ebonite feed and housing with another unit from FNF. ($30)
    I had JUST gotten it to the point where i could Flex-Write fast without it draining out the feed...it was perfect.
    Then the pelikan ink wrecked everything...

When I get the chance, I will order the Noodlers Ahab and then the Jaipur_V2.
    Last edited by Detman101; August 28th, 2020 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Has anyone mentioned the Pilot Falcon with the flex nib? I've seen some pretty serious near-calligraphy with that.

And I say "near" because all the actual calligraphers I know work with dip pens for their real work.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Everyone,

I have been in touch with the owner of Peyton Street Pens and they are sending me the NoNonsense Feed with the little tail that I need!!
    They are also a modder and actively create flex-pens on the side, this is just the resource I needed!
    Thank you all so much for recommending them to me!
    Once those parts arrive, this project should be nearer completion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the Pilot Falcon with the flex nib? I've seen some pretty serious near-calligraphy with that.

And I say "near" because all the actual calligraphers I know work with dip pens for their real work.
    Ahhh yes.
    The Metal Falcon was my Holy Grail pen from day one.
    Until I realized I hate the design of the pen.
    It's boring.
    And it uses a bloody converter!?
    That's when it fell off my list. I already have a cartridge/converter limited flex-pen I spent too much money on...don't need another.

I'm stymied by how many high-priced pens offer such low technical bonuses. If I were amazed by looks or titles...life would be so much simpler.

Thanks

Ok, understood. As I said in an earlier posting, you have chosen to have Very Specific Needs, hence the difficulty of your search.

And have you considered the Desiderata Pen Co.? They have ebonite eyedropper flex pens (using Zebra-G nibs) for under $100.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 28th, 2020), Detman101 (August 28th, 2020), manoeuver (August 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

trying to write full-flex with that nib will spring it (careful who you hand your Falcon to, especially if they've seen the famous Leigh Reyes video.) It happened to me.

Detman, I've managed to assemble a stable of highly functional full flex pens without reinventing the wheel or engaging in a lot of modifications. It wasn't easy or quick.

If you're willing to practice good pen hygiene and use a G comic nib, get a Daedalus from Pierre at Desiderata (they are in stock now but probably not for long.)
    https://www.desideratapens.com/pens/...bonitedaedalus and tell Pierre that Tim sent you.

I got sick of fiddling with G nibs so I sold off a few pens to purchase a Pilot 912 with the Spencerian modification from John Mottishaw over at nibs.com.
    It performs flawlessly and I'm still thrilled with the purchase a couple of years later. If you don't want the XXF point you can just get the flex mod, it's more affordable, and available on other pens also.

I also have some awesome vintage flex nibs in lovely vintage pens. That required a lot of time, trying pens, buying pens and rehoming them if they didn't speak to me, but mostly patience.

Full flex on a modern pen is a hard nut to crack for whatever reason. Be patient, you'll get there.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok, understood. As I said in an earlier posting, you have chosen to have Very Specific Needs, hence the difficulty of your search.

And have you considered the Desiderata Pen Co.? They have ebonite eyedropper flex pens (using Zebra-G nibs) for under $100.
    Ahhh yes...the rusty Zebra-G.
    I looked at their selection and when I saw they were charging hundreds for a pen with lackluster technical ability AND with a zebra-G nib that will rust in a week, I deftly avoided them.

Thank you for the help though heh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post

trying to write full-flex with that nib will spring it (careful who you hand your Falcon to, especially if they've seen the famous Leigh Reyes video.) It happened to me.

Detman, I've managed to assemble a stable of highly functional full flex pens without reinventing the wheel or engaging in a lot of modifications. It wasn't easy or quick.

If you're willing to practice good pen hygiene and use a G comic nib, get a Daedalus from Pierre at Desiderata (they are in stock now but probably not for long.)
    https://www.desideratapens.com/pens/...bonitedaedalus and tell Pierre that Tim sent you.

I got sick of fiddling with G nibs so I sold off a few pens to purchase a Pilot 912 with the Spencerian modification from John Mottishaw over at nibs.com.
    It performs flawlessly and I'm still thrilled with the purchase a couple of years later. If you don't want the XXF point you can just get the flex mod, it's more affordable, and available on other pens also.

I also have some awesome vintage flex nibs in lovely vintage pens. That required a lot of time, trying pens, buying pens and rehoming them if they didn't speak to me, but mostly patience.

Full flex on a modern pen is a hard nut to crack for whatever reason. Be patient, you'll get there.
    Thankyou thankyou, heh.

I have considered going that route...but my method would be to send mottishaw or whatever nibmeister a modern pen like the penbbs456, penbbs355 or something with a modern ink-reservoir design to begin nib mods on. That was actually my plan for the Penbbs-456 before it went belly-up yesterday.
    I had gotten the feed to the point of perfection, and I had just started planning to send the pen off to have the nib ground down to a true "EF" when it all went to hell in an ink-basket.

I find out tonight if I have to start over again with a new nib, housing and feed....ugh.
    I have butterflies in my stomach...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I agree that the Falcon isn't full flex, at least, mine with SEF nib sure isn't. (I know op said the Falcon is off the table but for others' curiosity...)

The difference between it and a flexible dip nib is fairly stark.

In case anyone is curious, below is an Esterbrook #128 Extra Fine Elastic Pen with Pelikan 4001 Black and my Pilot Falcon with Iroshizuku Take-sumi (not ideal for flex). The Pilot took more pressure to get less flex versus the 128.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Too bad Ralph Reyes burned out on making nibs, he had some great stuff going on and it would be a slam-dunk to screw into another pen. That said, I'm totally out of ideas and nothing I come up with seems right to the OP, so I'll exit.

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Too bad Ralph Reyes burned out on making nibs, he had some great stuff going on and it would be a slam-dunk to screw into another pen. That said, I'm totally out of ideas and nothing I come up with seems right to the OP, so I'll exit.

Nice. I can see how he modified the nib which offers useful tips. I've tried something like this with this same type of nib but didn't put too much effort in.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Check out the Ahab flex mod.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post

Ahhh yes...the rusty Zebra-G.
    I looked at their selection and when I saw they were charging hundreds for a pen with lackluster technical ability AND with a zebra-G nib that will rust in a week, I deftly avoided them.

Thank you for the help though heh.
    ok, nevermind. good luck buddy.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 30th, 2020)