Thread: The Current Family Portrait (Aug/Sept 2020) , Predominantly Vintage

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default The Current Family Portrait (Aug/Sept 2020) , Predominantly Vintage

First two photos are vintage (except the M640, placed for brand pairing), and third photo is Modern (with small exception to the school pen).

Pens facing down are in need of parts/repair or are untested.

Pens left capped (except the 45 shown uncapped) are currently inked.

• Waterman 55 (Canada) in "Woodgrain" with a #5 Ideal Canada Flex Medium
    • Eversharp Pencil in "Rosewood" (Hard rubber), 1.1 lead size, Late 20s to early 1930s probably.
    • Wahl 431 (but with a #2 nib installed), Early 1920s, 14K Semiflex Needlepoint
    • Eversharp Gold Filled pencil, probably early 1920s
    • "Wahl Pen" in Jade (what they advertised for $5), 1928~1929, 14K "Signature" EF (soft/semiflex)
    • Wahl Gold Seal Personal Point in Lazulitic Blue, 1929~early 30s, 14K Flexible Broad
    • Wahl-Eversharp Doric in Jet Black, Mid to late 30s, 14K Personal Point "Signature" Medium, Converted to a Button filler (originally a vac filler)
    • Wahl-Eversharp Doric Pencil, 1.1 Lead
    • Eversharp Skyline (Early 40s) in Brown Modern Moire, 14K Extra Firm Accountant (XXF) nib
    • Eversharp Skyline Modern Moire Brown Pencil 1.1 Lead
    • Eversharp Skyline (mid-late 40s), 14K Semi-flex EF
    • Eversharp "Fifth Avenue" in Debonnet Red, 14K Springy XXF~EF

• Esterbrook Dollar Pen, 3556 "Sunburst" nib, 1935~1942
    • Early Sheaffer Pencil with a ZigZag Pattern, probably nickle plated (not sure of production)
    • Sheaffer Fineline Mechanical Pencil (1930s? Probably decade before the Fineline pens)
    • Sheaffer Balance (Standard) Vac-Fil in Ebonized Pearl Flakes, 14K #5 Feathertouch Fine 1934~1939
    • Sheaffer Balance Craftsman in "Rose Glow", 14K #3 EF 1936~1941
    • Matching "Rose Glow" Pencil
    • Sheaffer Balance Junior in "Rose Glow" (can't be carmine with the silver striations), 14K Junior nib that writes a Fine 1936~1941?
    • Sheaffer Triumph in Black, lever filler, 14K "Lifetime" Triumph Nib, Medium with Cursive Italic Fine on flip side, ~1940s
    • Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant in Grey, 14K Triumph EF Nib, 14K solid gold snorkel tube, fitted with a PVC sac 1952 ("First Year")
    • Matching Grey Pencil
    • Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman in Pastel Green, PdAg (Palladium Silver) Triumph Medium ~1950s
    • Sheaffer Imperial IV in Blue, 14K XXF (Accountant?), ~1960s

All the Pilot Supers are quarter-turn fillers fitted with a PVC sac

• Pilot Super 100B (1958 nib code), 14K Semiflex EF
    • Pilot Super 150 14K Flex/Semiflex Fine, probably late 1950s
    • Pilot Super 200 (Old Style), 14K Soft Fine, late 1950s
    • Pilot Super 200 (1962), 14K Script Nib
    • Pilot E-200, 14K Coarse nib
    • Pilot Super 250 (1964), 14K "Falcon" (1968)
    • Parker Challenger, 14K nib that needs replacing (snipped tip), missing button
    • Parker Duofold Vacumatic, 14K EF, nib needs replacing or repair (one tipping is bent), filler needs restoration
    • Parker Challenger (1937), 14K Fine (rather wet and crisp)
    • Parker Vacumatic Junior (3rd gen with a mismatched 2nd gen blind cap), 14K Wet Fine
    • Parker Slimfold (UK, 1954), 14K semiflex F~M
    • Parker 45 Turquoise (1969 based on color + cap dimple), Steel Accountant nib, currently inked with Noodler's X-Feather

• 1960s "Kent" Japanese Pencil
    • Pilot Super 100V , 14K EF (slight bend on one tipping)
    • Montblanc 225, Piston Filler, 14K Platinum Coated XXF, 1970s
    • Montblanc 14, Piston Filler, 18C EF, 1960s (sadly there's a hairline crack on the underside of the section where the nib unit notches in)
    • Montblanc 221, c/c, 1970s, this one was sent to me for repair, currently working with a springy 14K Fine nib
    • Montblanc 320, Piston, 1970s, another sent to me for repair, currently working with a 14K firm fine, slight crack in barrel but doesn't affect function
    • Montblanc 320(?) Burgundy, c/c, 1970s, the third one sent to me for repair, but the cracked section is beyond my capabilities, all other parts are good
    • Pelikan 400NN with a 14K Semiflex EF, 1956
    • Pelikan M640 SE Mount Everest, 2008, 18K Medium tuned by Masuyama, not vintage but paired with the only other Pelikan I have
    • Reliant Eye dropper pen with a flexible warranted 14K EF nib, needs a cap
    • Unknown Generic, slightly corroded steel nib, haven't sac'd it to test it.
    • Unknown generic hard rubber pen, extremely smooth steel nib with a little bounce. Installed with a #15 sac.

• Moonman C1, Steel Fine self-ground to a cursive italic, currently inked with J.Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor
    • Lamy Safari, Pink, Steel Medium
    • Lamy Safari, Charcoal, Steel EF
    • Lamy Al-Star, Matte Black, Steel Broad
    • Platinum Century 3776 "Black Diamond" (translucent black), 14K Rhodium Plated Broad Cursive Italic (grind by nibs.com)
    • Platinum Izumo in Biwa-Tame, 18K President Coarse nib
    • Aurora Afrika LE, 18K "M" (tip seems more like an EF)
    • Pelikan M640 SE Mount Everest (shown again in 'modern' grouping)
    • TWSBI ECO, Steel EF self-ground to an Architect point, currently inked with Montblanc Irish Green. One of the free pens I received a couple weeks ago for repair
    • TWSBI Go, Steel Jinhao Fine, Inked with Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo, part of the free batch of pens I received
    • TWSBI Go, No Nib, also part of the batch of free pens

• Platinum Preppy 05, had this guy inked with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng for 6 years straight
    • Clone of Lamy Safari, Hooded EF nib ground to a crisp italic
    • Clone of Lamy Safari, Hooded EF nib
    • Pilot Kakuno, obtained to get its Medium nib for a Pilot MR (Wife's Turquoise), the Fine nib swapped from the MR fits loosely in the Kakuno
    • Pilot Parallel 2.4, inked with Noodler's Apache Sunset
    • Pilot MR in Grey, Steel Fine nib, Inked with Noodler's Heart of Darkness (will soon be de-inked, too feathery)
    • Noodler's Charlie, Inked with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng, Came with the Heart of Darkness bottle
    • Noodler's Charlie, feed channel seems damaged, came with the free batch of pens
    • Noodler's Creeper Flex, lubricated and working, came with the free batch of pens
    • Noodler's Konrad, standard nib, cleaned, lubricated, but untested, came with the free batch of pens
    • Sheaffer School Pen, cleaned but untested, Fine Steel Nib
    • Sheaffer "Calligraphy" set pen, Medium italic, not cleaned or tested, came with the free batch of pens

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Blue Note (August 28th, 2020), Carpio (June 18th, 2023), catbert (August 28th, 2020), Chuck Naill (August 28th, 2020), Cyril (September 15th, 2020), FredRydr (August 28th, 2020), junglejim (August 29th, 2020), Marsilius (June 18th, 2023), Ole Juul (August 28th, 2020), Schaumburg_Swan (June 18th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: The Current Family Portrait (Aug/Sept 2020) , Predominantly Vintage

some very nice trays there Mr. Beezie.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Great collection! Whenever I see Wahl-Eversharps in rosewood hard rubber (the pencil, second from the left), I am reminded how elegant they are.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (August 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Great collection! Whenever I see Wahl-Eversharps in rosewood hard rubber (the pencil, second from the left), I am reminded how elegant they are.
    for sure.

Thanks

These I'm planning on giving away (plus 3 I didn't include in the collection because it would just be a single tray of just 3 pens in the photo), just a matter of how to go about it.
    Most of them were from the free grouping of pens I was given that just needed to be cleaned/lubricated.

For the rest, just like every time before, I'm deciding how I wish to reduce them (preferably by trading 2 or more for single notable pens ).

The Wahl/Eversharp brand acquisition for the most part was deliberately sought out, as I know I love that brand, their models, their history, etc.

The Sheaffers were mostly because of happenstance/availability. They just 'showed up' in an Antique store (all the white dot ones, and two pencils were local Antique store finds), with a price too good to pass up (all but one under $25) and didn't take too much to fix them up. The Rose Glows were an eBay-but-dealt-with-off-ebay (note: don't do that) purchase that ended up needing serious restoration despite being sold as restored, with cracks, etc (that I repaired), and the Black Pearl Balance was part of a trade that was added on top of the 55 as a 'deal sweetener'. All of the Sheaffers were obtained this year, and wasn't deliberately sought out. I already have a decent idea of which of the Sheaffers I'll keep.

I don't have a strong attachment to Parker for some reason, except maybe that Challenger mostly because of how lovely it writes with the kind of feedback I like. The Parker Vacumatic was a trade to see if maybe I could reattempt to fall in love with the Vacumatic after I've had a few in the past of varying sizes and colors, especially since I have a lighter hand than I did back then. But I think part of the issue is that I've developed a sort of aversion to acquiring pens which I don't have the capability of restoring/repairing myself if the need arises, and I have no vacumatic filler restoration experience (hence why the Duofold Vac still hasn't been restored even if I do get a nib replaced).

The Pilots was not something I was expecting to grow, it grew by 8 all at once in a lot price that was too hard to pass up. Even with only 5 of them fully working now, it's still an excellent buy per unit (1 has a busted tipping, 100V, 1 has a cracked grip due to incorrect larger 14k nib installed, Super 50G, and one is missing a sac protector, one of the older Super 200s). I know I'll keep the first one I got (Super 250 with Falcon nib), and the E-200 with the 14K Coarse nib, and maybe the old style 200 with the semiflex nib if I can just find the right material to replace the felt that sits between the feed and nib, the rest though, I plan on trading/selling those off.

All things considered there's two areas I seem to want to try to add in:

* Something older than the 1920s (There's a Wahl 62B coming, but taking almost 5 months to get here from Canada now)
    * Something vintage Japanese, particularly pre-1950s

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    One of my favorites, especially the material. I want to get its matching Pen, which closest I could tell could be matched by the same "Wahl Pen" I have in Jade but in the Woodgrain look shown here on the original 1928 ad where I have the Jade one :

And yes, that's another thing I like doing, especially for the Wahl/Eversharp... trying to get original ads that match the pens that I have.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 1st, 2020), Carpio (June 18th, 2023), Cyril (September 6th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 432 Posts

KBreezie--

I see you still have the Aurora Afrika LE , but what happened to the Danitrio Mae West? That particular model that you had was one I have always lusted after.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

Thanks

Very nice!

How do you like that Eversharp "Fifth Avenue" in Debonnet Red? I bought a demi 5th Ave in Army Brown a few months back. I loved the way it wrote, the way it looked, and how it felt when writing posted.

However, I ended up returning it because it seemed to dry up really fast. I only had it for about a week, and I filled it with Quink Washable Blue. But sitting 24 hours capped meant very hard starts. I can't imagine how it would have been if it had sat for a week capped.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 805 Posts

Nice collection and your photos are amazing!

How do you like the Platinum Izumo with the Coarse nib? Does this nib have the same pencil-like feedback as other Platinum pens? Do you have a writing sample/comparison you could post?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    KBreezie--

I see you still have the Aurora Afrika LE , but what happened to the Danitrio Mae West? That particular model that you had was one I have always lusted after.
    The Mae West was traded off, then the pen from that was traded off yet again to get the Waterman 55 Woodgrain + Sheaffer Balance Vac-Fil Ebonized Pearl Flakes with the Feathertouch nib. I wasn't using the Mae West nearly enough to justify its keepings and lack of clip bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
    Very nice!

How do you like that Eversharp "Fifth Avenue" in Debonnet Red? I bought a demi 5th Ave in Army Brown a few months back. I loved the way it wrote, the way it looked, and how it felt when writing posted.

However, I ended up returning it because it seemed to dry up really fast. I only had it for about a week, and I filled it with Quink Washable Blue. But sitting 24 hours capped meant very hard starts. I can't imagine how it would have been if it had sat for a week capped.
    I do like it, just seems slightly on the dry side. The nib is an XXF that is a tiny bit springy, but it doesn't dry out within a day usually takes closer to a few days to a week sitting upright to be a hard starter. I think compared to some of the other cap designs, those aren't exactly well sealed caps. Also depends on which Fifth Avenue you have. The earlier models used the same feed from the skylines as such the nib and feed were flush with the hooding of the pen, that caused some flow issues, so they changed it to where there was a collar that fit the same diameter, but then the nib and feed being smaller fit into that allowing some spacing between the hooding/shell and the nib/feed.

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Nice collection and your photos are amazing!

How do you like the Platinum Izumo with the Coarse nib? Does this nib have the same pencil-like feedback as other Platinum pens? Do you have a writing sample/comparison you could post?
    I do like the Izumo, I'm on the fence a little bit on the Coarse nib. It has a similar feedback, but it doesn't behave like the Century 3776 Coarse nib. The Coarse on a Century 3776 is basically a double broad no matter how you use it. The 18K President Coarse nib on the other hand is a double~triple broad on the low angle that's low, as you start raising it, it becomes a double broad stub with a smaller cross stroke, raise it further it's a broad with a thinner cross stroke, and when you get up near vertical, it's between a M~B downstroke with a yet thinner cross stroke. The flip side is roughly a medium cursive italic.

The 1966 Pilot Super 200, with its 14K Coarse nib is closer to what a modern Platinum 3776 Coarse would be.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (August 31st, 2020), Carpio (June 18th, 2023), Cyril (September 6th, 2020), dneal (June 17th, 2023), manoeuver (August 31st, 2020), Marsilius (June 18th, 2023)

Thanks

This is some pens !! Lovely collections and nice photography too!!
    Very tempting eye candy!! sorry

Thanks

The Lotos MIG140 is a powerful machine that's perfect for beginners. It can weld both mild steel and stainless steel and comes with a spool gun for welding aluminum. It can weld up to 3/16 inch thick mild steel, making it suitable for most household repairs and DIY projects. welding machine cart

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,317 Posts

See, when you put spammers on ignore, you don't have to read their shite; but they're often doing you the favor of getting to reminisce.

I miss Karl and his pen adventures.

Thanks for bumping this one, EoC Herry.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 17th, 2023), Chrissy (June 18th, 2023)

Thanks

Has Jarl just left the forum? Is he busy pursuing other interests? Hope he's well and doing fine 👍🏻😊

Thanks

Has Karl left the forum? Is he busy pursuing other interests? Hope he's well and doing fine 👍🏻😊

Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 Times in 4,000 Posts

You need to click on their name link then click View Forum Posts. KBeezie's last post was in April 2022
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 19th, 2023), forester (June 19th, 2023)