Thread: Last 4-Digits of SSN=SCAM!!!

agrissol

Default Last 4-Digits of SSN=SCAM!!!

Have I been looking for a place to post this.

It's not bad enough that the job search for people over 50 is fraught with 'age discrimination', 'long-term unemployment discrimination', unscrupulous recruiters who care nothing for your situation but are looking to fill their own quotas, the 'haves' who sit behind the interview table and look down on you just to make them feel empowered, the 'ghosting' from recruiters and hiring managers, HR putting up every conceivable roadblock there is to getting through to a hiring manager, and a host of other job-searching challenges that make this so-called economic boom a complete farce, but add to that despicable recruiters who ask you for the one number that could ruin your life:

THE LAST FOUR DIGITS OF YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!

They justify asking for it by saying it is for so-called employee tracking purposes but that's a 'boldface lie'!

The only reason you should ever give out any part of that number is if you're applying for healthcare, doing your taxes, or getting a passport—maybe a few other legitimate reasons.

But ONLY after you get the job (and it has to be a 'real job') should you give up that number to fill out the W-2 and I-9!

I've gone through extended phone screens where it seems like this is going to be a good opportunity only for them to hit me with that infuriating request.

I get so perturbed and I point out the Carnegie-Mellon study that clearly shows that with the last 4-digits of your SSN, plus the publicly available info (like your birthdate, which sometimes they ask for as well), anyone can glean the rest of your SSN and then STEAL YOUR IDENTITY!

It's not bad enough that you're struggling to find work and put food on the table, while bills keep coming in and you're one month away from being homeless, but then to have these scumbags steal your identity and ruin not only your life, credit, and years of false law enforcement actions, is simply blood-boiling unconscionable!!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agrissol For This Useful Post:

Cyril (September 14th, 2020), Detman101 (August 31st, 2020), TFarnon (August 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Last 4-Digits of SSN=SCAM!!!

By the grace of God, I no longer need to engage in the hiring process, especially on someone else's terms. I've retired twice now, and I'm financially secure enough that I can pick and choose what (freelance) work I want. Work, for me, is now an avocation; something to keep me busy. All I can say, is I understand your frustration. I also appreciate that there are less than ethical people who will eagerly misuse personal information, and that this poses a real danger.
    Last edited by An old bloke; August 28th, 2020 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks

I had to give them to get utilities connected in California. I protested up the chain but they were immovable. I had to because, you know, power and water.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by empliau View Post
    I had to give them to get utilities connected in California. I protested up the chain but they were immovable. I had to because, you know, power and water.
    It's that or the alternative -- candles, a camp stove, and your neighbour's garden hose.

Thanks

And again, I am so thankful that at the start of the last recession I quit my job (layoffs were coming anyways) and went back to school for a different but related profession. I was extremely lucky in being drawn to and choosing a shortage field where as long as you are under 70, you can pretty much be assured of full-time employment. And I was extremely lucky to be able to handle the academic and intellectual rigors of the program and to continue to do so in the job itself. I was incredibly lucky, and I am incredibly thankful. I wish that others have the same good fortune that I have had.

I'm not sure if giving the last 4 will inherently open you up to identity fraud. However, based on your age and location, it's often possible to extrapolate the first three digits of your SSN, and that only leaves two digits to puzzle out, or less than 99 different combinations. The first three digits of your SSN reflect where and when the number was issued. Since most people don't move out of state, and most people now get an SSN in their first year of life, yes, that's not difficult to figure out. It doesn't always work that way, but it does go a long way to explaining why some people are hit with identity fraud and others aren't.

And yes, you are right. You shouldn't give out any part of your SSN, most certainly not to a prospective employer until you are hired and filling out the W-2 and I-9 in all but certain cases (like applying for a job that requires a high-level security clearance).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 31st, 2020)

Thanks

My SSA card says: Not to be used for identification. Amazing how many places what my SSN for identification.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roe D Hym View Post
    My SSA card says: Not to be used for identification. Amazing how many places what my SSN for identification.
    Ah yes. That the SSAN number not be used for identification, so history tells us, was one of the conditions required to get the US Social Security act passed. There was a perceived association in society as a whole that doing so was effectively a fulfilment of the Biblical reference in Revelations to the 'number of the beast'. Apparently, American society had become secular enough by the 1970s that little or no objection was raised when the US Congress passed changes allowing its use for identification.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 12th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by empliau View Post
    I have my own well, so water is taken care of. Except, I need electricity to pump it out, so I'm still screwed. lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Ah yes. That the SSAN number not be used for identification, so**history tells us, was one of the conditions required to get the US Social Security act passed** There was a perceived association in society as a whole that doing so was effectively a fulfilment of the Biblical reference in Revelations to the 'number of the beast'. Apparently,^^American society had become secular enough by the 1970s that little or no objection was raised when the US Congress passed changes allowing its use for identification.^^
    Please provide citation{s} Re..**History US Social Security Act {conditions required}**......and ^^current laws passed by US Congress {1970's} and specifically how it can be used as identification.^^

Thank you.

Fred
    enjoyin' some Tesseron 53 XO.....and a couple of Tates chocolate chip cookies...
    {Freakin'HappySmileyFaceTimeThingy}
    Last edited by Freddie; September 11th, 2020 at 06:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    Ah yes. That the SSAN number not be used for identification, so**history tells us, was one of the conditions required to get the US Social Security act passed** There was a perceived association in society as a whole that doing so was effectively a fulfilment of the Biblical reference in Revelations to the 'number of the beast'. Apparently,^^American society had become secular enough by the 1970s that little or no objection was raised when the US Congress passed changes allowing its use for identification.^^
    Please provide citation{s} Re..**History US Social Security Act {conditions required}**......and ^^current laws passed by US Congress {1970's} and specifically how it can be used as identification.^^

Thank you.

Fred
    enjoyin' some Tesseron 53 XO.....and a couple of Tates chocolate chip cookies...
    {Freakin'HappySmileyFaceTimeThingy}
    Fred, I would if I could. It is something I remember from a tutorial or lecture from my days at Macquarie University. The topic was how US and Australian social services differed.