Thread: Can you store fountain pens with converters attached to them?

Thanks

Question Can you store fountain pens with converters attached to them?

Sorry if this is such a stupid question (or if this is not the right place to ask)... but can I retire fountain pens I no longer use anymore with their converters attached? Or is it better to store them separately?

Let's say, as a concrete example, I no longer use my Lamy Safari's, and have moved on to other pens. Is it okay to keep the converter attached to it when storing?

Cheers.

P.S. Also, is it ok to store fountain pens without it being completely dry (just somewhat very dry, maybe 95% dry)?

Thanks

Default Re: Can you store fountain pens with converters attached to them?

Yes, you can store with the converters.

But make sure you have given the pens a quality bath!

Regarding 95% dry going into storage?
    It’s my opinion; that if you are at 95%, why not let the pen sit overnight to totally finish drying!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ms8109 For This Useful Post:

jace (August 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks Mike for the quick reply.

As for the drying... I just don't want my (non-existent) cat to walk on the FP pieces and then all the parts fall on the floor and the nib breaks...

J/k, I am just an impatient person and just want to get things done ASAP. For some irrational reason, I just feel uncomfortable leaving the unassembled FP left out in the open overnight. :/ For example, will small insects go in and ruin the parts? Sorry for being so stupid lol.

Thanks

What Mike said.

Thanks

I'm not saying anyone ELSE should do this BUT, I unceremoniously throw the inked fountain pens I'm not using in an assortment of desk drawers. (I have a very large desk.) Weeks, months or years later when I come across them again (sometimes having fully forgotten they existed,) I generally can just re-ink them and they write. Sometimes I'll "re-ink" them with water to reconstitute the old, dried ink...... but I would never recommend this to anyone else.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (August 30th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (August 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jace View Post
    Thanks Mike for the quick reply.

As for the drying... I just don't want my (non-existent) cat to walk on the FP pieces and then all the parts fall on the floor and the nib breaks...

J/k, I am just an impatient person and just want to get things done ASAP. For some irrational reason, I just feel uncomfortable leaving the unassembled FP left out in the open overnight. :/ For example, will small insects go in and ruin the parts? Sorry for being so stupid lol.
    No it’s not the small insects you have to worry about. It’s the big Elephant that is sure to pop up up everytime you are impatient!!!!!!! LOL.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ms8109 For This Useful Post:

jace (August 30th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

There is no harm with storing clean and dry converters attached to pens. The *only* other caveat I can think of is that if they are stored for a long time, and especially if it is warm, there is the distant possibility that the part of the converter that grabs on to the section nipple might gradually stretch and not be as good a fit - you want a nice, snug fit. Other than that, might as well keep them intact.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

jace (August 30th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I always store all my pens assembled and in closed cases since I learned my lesson the hard way. Read on if you dare.

I'd been cleaning some pens and I left a disassembled Lamy 2000, an Esterbrook Dollar Pen with the cap off, a Pilot Custom 74 with the section and cap separate from the body and a slice of pepperoni pizza on a paper plate on the dining room table when I forgot what I was doing and ended up sleeping for like 3 days and a half. It had been a difficult month but was about to get worse.

Fleeing headlong to the garage to get to a phrenology appointment after I awoke, I was brought up short by the sight of not only tiny bugs infesting my pens and their associated parts, but also an agglomeration of zebra mussels on the table and a loose pack of glowering youths recently arrived from San Salvador standing nearby.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

jace (August 30th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 3rd, 2020), Stands on Feet (August 31st, 2020), TFarnon (August 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    I always store all my pens assembled and in closed cases since I learned my lesson the hard way. Read on if you dare.

I'd been cleaning some pens and I left a disassembled Lamy 2000, an Esterbrook Dollar Pen with the cap off, a Pilot Custom 74 with the section and cap separate from the body and a slice of pepperoni pizza on a paper plate on the dining room table when I forgot what I was doing and ended up sleeping for like 3 days and a half. It had been a difficult month but was about to get worse.

Fleeing headlong to the garage to get to a phrenology appointment after I awoke, I was brought up short by the sight of not only tiny bugs infesting my pens and their associated parts, but also an agglomeration of zebra mussels on the table and a loose pack of glowering youths recently arrived from San Salvador standing nearby.
    This is the kind of thing that I'm afraid of. Thanks for sharing with us!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jace For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (August 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,464 Times in 4,005 Posts

Over the years I've had several C/C pens arrive with an open ended cartridge inside them from the manufacturer. This seems to suggest that they are designed to be stored with something inside the section.

I store my C/C pens with either converters or these empty carts inside them, but after cleaning I also keep them nib down in a container full of crumpled up kitchen paper overnight until they are dry before putting them away for storage.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (September 3rd, 2020)