Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry ink reccomendations!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Dry ink reccomendations!

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    In a vac 51 the problem you might run into is iron precipitating out and clogging the collector. It’s nothing you couldn’t fix relatively easily, but on the other hand, not having to remove the hood and rinse the collector would be even easier.
    Excellent point. I do not trust myself to take apart my 51s.
    In the past I've serviced a 51 vac and aero, but I agree with you. I tend to prefer to go by the If it ain't broke don't fix it rule whenever possible. So if you don't want to take the risk of having iron from an IG ink precipitating out and clogging the collector in a Parker 51 and you simply *must* use IG ink, then use it in a different pen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Ohhhh..... we are back to the point of evil IG inks as so often in the past.

Ok, I will not start again a endless discussion, but just to mention it as the other party also did it.

I use modern IG inks in ALL of my pens no matter if it is vintage or modern without any hesitation and without any negative effect since years (including cheap steel nibs with limited material quality like Noodlers and FPR ones).

IMO some of the best inks available are IG inks with an outstanding unmatched performance.

Just to mention some of my all time favorites: ESS Registrars Blue-Black, Rohrer & Klingner Salix and Scabiosa, Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black, Montblanc Midnight Blue (old formulation).

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Ole Juul (September 12th, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (September 13th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 13th, 2020)

Thanks

I have a modified FPR nib that is ultra-wet flowing that I can only use Dry Inks with.
    So far, Diamine - Delamere Green and Diamine - Macassar are the two that work best.
    They are both very dry inks.
    (edit to address initial concern...which may invalidate the entire point of posting...sorry)
    However, They will not stop the issue of your writing feathering on garbage american paper.
    The stock paper that is used in this country (recycled, printer paper, etc) is not fountain-pen friendly.
    I have had to purchase reams of printer paper with 90G/M or higher, or purchase Rhodia/Clairefontaine pads for artwork or sending letters.
    Last edited by Detman101; September 12th, 2020 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Without very careful heat control I would not try to take off a 51 hood.

I was a fan of the Platinum Violet Black (I think it was Violet) which I had in my Balance Jr. for a month or so. It never dried out and always wrote nicely.

Also have tried Diamine Registrar's Blue Black a few times. I left that in a Jinhao for a month or more and it didn't disintegrate the nib.

I think modern IG inks are not like IG inks of the past? I swear I had read the IG concentration is low. At some point, I am going to get a bottle of some kind of IG for regular use.

I have another sample of Scabiosa to try again and some KWZ (some kind of blue black? I have like 40 different samples and i've lost track).

Anyway for dry inks: Diamine Twilight and Damson barely flow in any but my wettest pens. The former tends to stain.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (September 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Without very careful heat control I would not try to take off a 51 hood.

I was a fan of the Platinum Violet Black (I think it was Violet) which I had in my Balance Jr. for a month or so. It never dried out and always wrote nicely.

Also have tried Diamine Registrar's Blue Black a few times. I left that in a Jinhao for a month or more and it didn't disintegrate the nib.

I think modern IG inks are not like IG inks of the past? I swear I had read the IG concentration is low. At some point, I am going to get a bottle of some kind of IG for regular use.

I have another sample of Scabiosa to try again and some KWZ (some kind of blue black? I have like 40 different samples and i've lost track).

Anyway for dry inks: Diamine Twilight and Damson barely flow in any but my wettest pens. The former tends to stain.
    My experience with KWZ IG inks is that they do not perform as good as the ones I mentioned above.
    They are wetter and also tend to feather despite they are IG inks.
    Nevertheless KWZ has some awesome IG colors and their color change during writing is impressive.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 13th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Noodler's Ink Black was designed to be used anywhere. Nathan Tardif tells the story of the customer who asked for an ink he could use to do the New York Times crossword with. Noodler's Black was that ink. You can also try Noodler's anti-feather inks. They tend to be dry and are formulated for that purpose. There are new colors that were introduced at last years show (like red, brown, and green), as well. I've only tried regular "Bulletproof" Black and it does OK on cheap paper.

Granted, everything else I read tells me you may be happier with R&K Salix or ESSRI (which are very well-behaved iron gall inks).
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863