Thread: Definitive Guide to Nibs / Choices / Sizes?

Thanks

Default Definitive Guide to Nibs / Choices / Sizes?

Hi folks,

I have about 30 pens, mostly purchased new, from higher-end to Safaris, etc. That said, I still, and shall for quite a while yet, consider myself a novice in this wonderful world.

My question is this:

Is there a definitive guide to what nibs fit which pens? For example, I just picked up one of the Pineider Avatar demos. It says it has an "oversize N6 nib," and they offer them stock only in EF, F and M. I would like a stub.

So...where do I find a nib that will perfectly fit this pen? Also, what are the very best brands of "stand-alone" nibs out there from which I could choose?

Sorry about these newbie questions, but I'm learning and growing (hopefully) and appreciate your takes on both how to find which sizes fit which pens and the very nicest replacement nibs one can find (and, of course, I understand that responses to the latter part will be subjective).

THANK YOU!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Definitive Guide to Nibs / Choices / Sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by BoGibsonCA View Post
    ...Is there a definitive guide to what nibs fit which pens?...
    No. Except for modern pen manufacturers that source from nib makers like Bock, there is no failsafe size equivalent of nibs between pen brands.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

BoGibsonCA (September 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Like Fredydr said above in most cases nib sizes/feeds/housings are proprietary. There are some exceptions with Jowo and Bock which offer nib/housing units on their standalone ... Some pen makers like TWISBI and Franklin-Christoph if memory serves use JOWO nibs. Danitrio uses Bock.

Most of the japanese pen makers have proprietary nibs. Some makers like aurora offer nib and housing units by themselves for sale so I guess you could get a pen custom made around it through Newton Pens or the like, but only aurora nibs will fit in aurora pens...

To answer your question, look up if a pen maker's nibs are sourced inhouse or through Bock etc, that gives you a clear answer what nibs will fit where.

Another take you could have is heatsetting and putting different nibs into different feeds with different methods but that's beyond the scope of this question I think.

Have fun on your journey!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sworist For This Useful Post:

BoGibsonCA (September 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks so very much for your helpful comments!

I will look into the Pineider line and see what I can find about their nibs. I liked the look of the pen (certainly not a bank breaker) so if I'm stuck with an EF, I guess every collection should have one or two

That said, I'll dig in and see what my options are on the big wide web.

To a person, folks have been great to me on this board, and I really appreciate it.

Have a wonderful week, my friends in pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Generally speaking, many branded pens have their own proprietary nibs and feeds and it would be a mistake to try to swap them for something else. It's not just the general nib size that makes a difference, but the nib and feed thickness and shape. Most of these nibs and feeds have been specifically made for the sections they are set into.

Having said that, Goulet Pens sell quite a good selection of spare nibs. It might be worth making contact with them and asking if they are aware of one that might be compatible with your pen. You never know.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I've had a wander round the interweb and it appears that Pineider gets their nibs from Bock. Now I would guess Pineider mean the #250 by "oversize N6 nib", as opposed to the narrower shouldered #220, but happily Peter Bock provide salient measurements on their site so you should be able to fathom it out readily enough.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.