Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

  1. #21
    Senior Member Pterodactylus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,592
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Oh wow...nice!
    Now to find out how you did that....lol
    To control a flexible nib is all about pressure.

    Imho the first step is to learn to write with a really light hand, most people (ballpen barbariens and FP nail writers) do not control their downforce as it does not matter with their pens.

    So they write with a way too high (for a flexible nib) downforce and also are not used to control it selectively.
    So even with a very flexible you should be able to write evenly with the thinnest possible line width with a very light hand.

    When you are able to write with a light hand constantly it is time to practice to increase in a controlled way the downforce on the down strokes... and only on the down strokes, no flexible nib likes it when you apply pressure during a side or upper stroke.

    Sometimes I get the impression people think their handwriting will look neater/better automatically when using a flexible nib.
    This is for sure not the case.
    It is not enough to smash down a flexible nib with the maximum possible pressure (and beyond) in all possible strokes and think it will look nice automatically.

    Imho the opposite is true it’s not about maximize the line width.
    In most cases it Looks much better to use the additional possibility of variable line width in a subtile and elegant way.... less is often more

    And last but not least using a flexible nib is only a puzzle piece, an additional option you can use and not the answer to improve your writing.

    Unfortunately I also know no better answer than practice, practice, practice ..... letter forming, combine them, maintaining a constant slant, control your downforce, ......

    If you don’t see improvements no matter which writing device you use also a flexible nib will not help (it even can make it look worse smashing the nib downwards the paper until it begs for mercy (and this „worse“ can often be seen when newbies post their results with their „new“ flexible nib)).


    To answer your question, with a soft pencil you can achieve quite a lot of line variation controlling your pressure.
    And it is a great exercise to learn how to control your pressure (without risking to damage a flexible nib).
    Light strokes create light small lines, stronger (downstrokes) create dark broad lines, just like with a flexible nib.

    If you are satisfied with your pencil result you can easily apply it also to a flexible nib.
    And itˋs easier to start practicing than with a super flex nib.


    And there are of course dip nibs with all degrees of flexibility, also up to an amount of flexibility a FP nib could never ever achieve, available for small money.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; September 19th, 2020 at 01:29 AM.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

    azkid (September 19th, 2020), Detman101 (September 19th, 2020), Hawker800 (September 19th, 2020)

  3. #22
    Senior Member wingwiper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 161 Times in 91 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

    Quote Originally Posted by abedolla View Post
    Hi, sorry to butt in, but John Mottishaw is a good resource for you. I had a customized Falcon Nib about 20 years ago from him. Wish I still had it. I was not sure as to how to use it effectively and got frustrated. Passed it on, now I kick my self. Nibs.com
    John Mottishaw is one of the best.............still using my modded pens from him over 20 yrs ago
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

    Detman101 (Today)

  5. #23
    Senior Member wingwiper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 161 Times in 91 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

    Why don't you try one of Pendleton's BLS mods with flex. Not full flex, but a little better than semi-flex and he styands behind his work. There is noting wring with his TWSBU|i mods, I have a few of them and they all have their own character

    https://www.pendletonspens.com/nibs-for-sale

    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

    Pterodactylus (September 20th, 2020)

  7. #24
    Senior Member Detman101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    The Mountains of Md...
    Posts
    211
    Thanks
    314
    Thanked 78 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

    Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    Why don't you try one of Pendleton's BLS mods with flex. Not full flex, but a little better than semi-flex and he styands behind his work. There is noting wring with his TWSBU|i mods, I have a few of them and they all have their own character

    https://www.pendletonspens.com/nibs-for-sale

    I'm not certain I've ever seen a TWSBI nib on a PENBBS pen.
    Not sure if I want to be the space-cadet on that mission...

  8. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abedolla View Post
    Hi, sorry to butt in, but John Mottishaw is a good resource for you. I had a customized Falcon Nib about 20 years ago from him. Wish I still had it. I was not sure as to how to use it effectively and got frustrated. Passed it on, now I kick my self. Nibs.com
    Thank you....but I reeeeeally don't want to go with any names that are too big and famous.
    I've waited long enough for a lesser known nibmeister to create a flex nib for me...it would be a year-long wait for someone like "John Mottishaw" to make me a nib.
    Big muckety-mucks are useless to me...they're too overloaded with work and take their sweet time due to their famous name.
    Not my kind of vendor.
    I need someone hungry to do good work in a timely fashion.
    Unlike everyone else on this board, I only have one pen at the moment until my Penbbs-456 comes back from the nibmeister...
    I can't wait a year on some big-name guy to get around to me whenever he feels after taking my money...
    Interesting interview on the Penaddict podcast with Gena Salorino of Custom Nib Studio for your consideration. Takes 3-4 weeks according to her FAQs.
    Good intel.
    That's about how long I've been waiting for Honeybadger to complete his work.
    I'd considered sending the pen to her and had spoken to her before I ultimately decided to send it to him.
    The situation over on the west coast has complicated getting the work completed within my expected time range...figures.
    But...one can never know which way the wind will blow.
    I bet either of them would be a shorter wait than John Mottishaw though...lol.

    If I already had a flex pen and could competently practice my penmanship, I'd be fine with commissioning his work and then forgetting about it for a few months-year.
    But not having...makes waiting all the more painful.
    Gena worked for John, she's flexified 5 pens for me.... She can do for less and quicker. I would stand by her. Tell her @flexynib sent you She will speed it up

  9. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

    Yes to all of the above. I find that most people are used to using a lot more pressure because that's how they learned in school and thus have no idea how to use a proper flex nib as a result without damaging it but you probably already know that

    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Oh wow...nice!
    Now to find out how you did that....lol
    To control a flexible nib is all about pressure.

    Imho the first step is to learn to write with a really light hand, most people (ballpen barbariens and FP nail writers) do not control their downforce as it does not matter with their pens.

    So they write with a way too high (for a flexible nib) downforce and also are not used to control it selectively.
    So even with a very flexible you should be able to write evenly with the thinnest possible line width with a very light hand.

    When you are able to write with a light hand constantly it is time to practice to increase in a controlled way the downforce on the down strokes... and only on the down strokes, no flexible nib likes it when you apply pressure during a side or upper stroke.

    Sometimes I get the impression people think their handwriting will look neater/better automatically when using a flexible nib.
    This is for sure not the case.
    It is not enough to smash down a flexible nib with the maximum possible pressure (and beyond) in all possible strokes and think it will look nice automatically.

    Imho the opposite is true it’s not about maximize the line width.
    In most cases it Looks much better to use the additional possibility of variable line width in a subtile and elegant way.... less is often more

    And last but not least using a flexible nib is only a puzzle piece, an additional option you can use and not the answer to improve your writing.

    Unfortunately I also know no better answer than practice, practice, practice ..... letter forming, combine them, maintaining a constant slant, control your downforce, ......

    If you don’t see improvements no matter which writing device you use also a flexible nib will not help (it even can make it look worse smashing the nib downwards the paper until it begs for mercy (and this „worse“ can often be seen when newbies post their results with their „new“ flexible nib)).


    To answer your question, with a soft pencil you can achieve quite a lot of line variation controlling your pressure.
    And it is a great exercise to learn how to control your pressure (without risking to damage a flexible nib).
    Light strokes create light small lines, stronger (downstrokes) create dark broad lines, just like with a flexible nib.

    If you are satisfied with your pencil result you can easily apply it also to a flexible nib.
    And itˋs easier to start practicing than with a super flex nib.


    And there are of course dip nibs with all degrees of flexibility, also up to an amount of flexibility a FP nib could never ever achieve, available for small money.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •