Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Oh wow...nice!
    Now to find out how you did that....lol
    To control a flexible nib is all about pressure.

Imho the first step is to learn to write with a really light hand, most people (ballpen barbariens and FP nail writers) do not control their downforce as it does not matter with their pens.

So they write with a way too high (for a flexible nib) downforce and also are not used to control it selectively.
    So even with a very flexible you should be able to write evenly with the thinnest possible line width with a very light hand.

When you are able to write with a light hand constantly it is time to practice to increase in a controlled way the downforce on the down strokes... and only on the down strokes, no flexible nib likes it when you apply pressure during a side or upper stroke.

Sometimes I get the impression people think their handwriting will look neater/better automatically when using a flexible nib.
    This is for sure not the case.
    It is not enough to smash down a flexible nib with the maximum possible pressure (and beyond) in all possible strokes and think it will look nice automatically.

Imho the opposite is true it’s not about maximize the line width.
    In most cases it Looks much better to use the additional possibility of variable line width in a subtile and elegant way.... less is often more

And last but not least using a flexible nib is only a puzzle piece, an additional option you can use and not the answer to improve your writing.

Unfortunately I also know no better answer than practice, practice, practice ..... letter forming, combine them, maintaining a constant slant, control your downforce, ......

If you don’t see improvements no matter which writing device you use also a flexible nib will not help (it even can make it look worse smashing the nib downwards the paper until it begs for mercy (and this „worse“ can often be seen when newbies post their results with their „new“ flexible nib)).

To answer your question, with a soft pencil you can achieve quite a lot of line variation controlling your pressure.
    And it is a great exercise to learn how to control your pressure (without risking to damage a flexible nib).
    Light strokes create light small lines, stronger (downstrokes) create dark broad lines, just like with a flexible nib.

If you are satisfied with your pencil result you can easily apply it also to a flexible nib.
    And itˋs easier to start practicing than with a super flex nib.

And there are of course dip nibs with all degrees of flexibility, also up to an amount of flexibility a FP nib could never ever achieve, available for small money.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; September 19th, 2020 at 01:29 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 19th, 2020), Detman101 (September 19th, 2020), Hawker800 (September 19th, 2020), Ole Juul (September 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abedolla View Post
    Hi, sorry to butt in, but John Mottishaw is a good resource for you. I had a customized Falcon Nib about 20 years ago from him. Wish I still had it. I was not sure as to how to use it effectively and got frustrated. Passed it on, now I kick my self. Nibs.com
    John Mottishaw is one of the best.............still using my modded pens from him over 20 yrs ago
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Why don't you try one of Pendleton's BLS mods with flex. Not full flex, but a little better than semi-flex and he styands behind his work. There is noting wring with his TWSBU|i mods, I have a few of them and they all have their own character

https://www.pendletonspens.com/nibs-for-sale

The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (September 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    Why don't you try one of Pendleton's BLS mods with flex. Not full flex, but a little better than semi-flex and he styands behind his work. There is noting wring with his TWSBU|i mods, I have a few of them and they all have their own character

https://www.pendletonspens.com/nibs-for-sale

I'm not certain I've ever seen a TWSBI nib on a PENBBS pen.
    Not sure if I want to be the space-cadet on that mission...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Hi, sorry to butt in, but John Mottishaw is a good resource for you. I had a customized Falcon Nib about 20 years ago from him. Wish I still had it. I was not sure as to how to use it effectively and got frustrated. Passed it on, now I kick my self. Nibs.com
    Thank you....but I reeeeeally don't want to go with any names that are too big and famous.
    I've waited long enough for a lesser known nibmeister to create a flex nib for me...it would be a year-long wait for someone like "John Mottishaw" to make me a nib.
    Big muckety-mucks are useless to me...they're too overloaded with work and take their sweet time due to their famous name.
    Not my kind of vendor.
    I need someone hungry to do good work in a timely fashion.
    Unlike everyone else on this board, I only have one pen at the moment until my Penbbs-456 comes back from the nibmeister...
    I can't wait a year on some big-name guy to get around to me whenever he feels after taking my money...
    Interesting interview on the Penaddict podcast with Gena Salorino of Custom Nib Studio for your consideration. Takes 3-4 weeks according to her FAQs.
    Good intel.
    That's about how long I've been waiting for Honeybadger to complete his work.
    I'd considered sending the pen to her and had spoken to her before I ultimately decided to send it to him.
    The situation over on the west coast has complicated getting the work completed within my expected time range...figures.
    But...one can never know which way the wind will blow.
    I bet either of them would be a shorter wait than John Mottishaw though...lol.

If I already had a flex pen and could competently practice my penmanship, I'd be fine with commissioning his work and then forgetting about it for a few months-year.
    But not having...makes waiting all the more painful.
    Gena worked for John, she's flexified 5 pens for me.... She can do for less and quicker. I would stand by her. Tell her @flexynib sent you She will speed it up

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sfarkhan For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Yes to all of the above. I find that most people are used to using a lot more pressure because that's how they learned in school and thus have no idea how to use a proper flex nib as a result without damaging it but you probably already know that

Oh wow...nice!
    Now to find out how you did that....lol
    To control a flexible nib is all about pressure.

Imho the first step is to learn to write with a really light hand, most people (ballpen barbariens and FP nail writers) do not control their downforce as it does not matter with their pens.

So they write with a way too high (for a flexible nib) downforce and also are not used to control it selectively.
    So even with a very flexible you should be able to write evenly with the thinnest possible line width with a very light hand.

When you are able to write with a light hand constantly it is time to practice to increase in a controlled way the downforce on the down strokes... and only on the down strokes, no flexible nib likes it when you apply pressure during a side or upper stroke.

Sometimes I get the impression people think their handwriting will look neater/better automatically when using a flexible nib.
    This is for sure not the case.
    It is not enough to smash down a flexible nib with the maximum possible pressure (and beyond) in all possible strokes and think it will look nice automatically.

Imho the opposite is true it’s not about maximize the line width.
    In most cases it Looks much better to use the additional possibility of variable line width in a subtile and elegant way.... less is often more

And last but not least using a flexible nib is only a puzzle piece, an additional option you can use and not the answer to improve your writing.

Unfortunately I also know no better answer than practice, practice, practice ..... letter forming, combine them, maintaining a constant slant, control your downforce, ......

If you don’t see improvements no matter which writing device you use also a flexible nib will not help (it even can make it look worse smashing the nib downwards the paper until it begs for mercy (and this „worse“ can often be seen when newbies post their results with their „new“ flexible nib)).

To answer your question, with a soft pencil you can achieve quite a lot of line variation controlling your pressure.
    And it is a great exercise to learn how to control your pressure (without risking to damage a flexible nib).
    Light strokes create light small lines, stronger (downstrokes) create dark broad lines, just like with a flexible nib.

If you are satisfied with your pencil result you can easily apply it also to a flexible nib.
    And itˋs easier to start practicing than with a super flex nib.

And there are of course dip nibs with all degrees of flexibility, also up to an amount of flexibility a FP nib could never ever achieve, available for small money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfarkhan View Post
    Thank you....but I reeeeeally don't want to go with any names that are too big and famous.
    I've waited long enough for a lesser known nibmeister to create a flex nib for me...it would be a year-long wait for someone like "John Mottishaw" to make me a nib.
    Big muckety-mucks are useless to me...they're too overloaded with work and take their sweet time due to their famous name.
    Not my kind of vendor.
    Unlike everyone else on this board, I only have one pen at the moment until my Penbbs-456 comes back from the nibmeister...
    I can't wait a year on some big-name guy to get around to me whenever he feels after taking my money...
    Interesting interview on the Penaddict podcast with Gena Salorino of Custom Nib Studio for your consideration. Takes 3-4 weeks according to her FAQs.
    Good intel.
    I'd considered sending the pen to her and had spoken to her before I ultimately decided to send it to him.
    The situation over on the west coast has complicated getting the work completed within my expected time range...figures.

If I already had a flex pen and could competently practice my penmanship, I'd be fine with commissioning his work and then forgetting about it for a few months-year.
    Gena worked for John, she's flexified 5 pens for me.... She can do for less and quicker. I would stand by her. Tell her @flexynib sent you She will speed it up
    Then I did make the wrong choice going with Honeybadger...
    Dangit dangit dangit!!!
    She was my first choice....ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR FIRST CHOICE!!

It's been so long since I sent that pen to Colin "Honeybadger" Martin that I've written it off as stolen property and moved on to another pen.
    Coincidentally enough, the new Penbbs-487 I bought from a member here has received all the mods that I did myself in one day.
    Way less time than the mods that Honeybadger has been "Working on" for the Penbbs-456 I sent him a month ago. I can never get comfortable with people that have lives that are too busy, but accept work as if they had nothing going on.
    I literally ground and smoothed an FPR ultra-flex nib to a smooth xxf, Modified the feed with Waterman-style channels and eyedroppered it in 6 hours....and that was taking my sweet time.
    I could have done all of this work myself if I had just been patient and not panicked when the 456 stopped working

Not that the loss of the pen is anything to cry over, but I'm more embarrassed at myself for not believing in myself enough to stop...take a chill pill...and fix it myself.

I won't make that mistake again.
    Trust no one.

Thanks

You may still get your pen back. I don't know Honeybadger so there is no reason to think the pen is lost. It takes time to grind nibs. Mottishaw's queue is 6 months, and most nibmeister quote that long. There are a few with shorter queue. How long has it been since you sent your pen? Have you heard back yet?

Not my kind of vendor.
    Good intel.

Dangit dangit dangit!!!

It's been so long since I sent that pen to Colin "Honeybadger" Martin that I've written it off as stolen property and moved on to another pen.
    Coincidentally enough, the new Penbbs-487 I bought from a member here has received all the mods that I did myself in one day.
    Way less time than the mods that Honeybadger has been "Working on" for the Penbbs-456 I sent him a month ago. I can never get comfortable with people that have lives that are too busy, but accept work as if they had nothing going on.
    I literally ground and smoothed an FPR ultra-flex nib to a smooth xxf, Modified the feed with Waterman-style channels and eyedroppered it in 6 hours....and that was taking my sweet time.
    I could have done all of this work myself if I had just been patient and not panicked when the 456 stopped working

Not that the loss of the pen is anything to cry over, but I'm more embarrassed at myself for not believing in myself enough to stop...take a chill pill...and fix it myself.

Trust no one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sfarkhan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Dangit dangit dangit!!!

Trust no one.
    No use beating yourself up after the fact. That way lies madness and despair.
    Enjoy the grind when you get it from Colin and maybe consider Gena for the next one.
    Onwards.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You may still get your pen back. I don't know Honeybadger so there is no reason to think the pen is lost. It takes time to grind nibs. Mottishaw's queue is 6 months, and most nibmeister quote that long. There are a few with shorter queue. How long has it been since you sent your pen? Have you heard back yet?

Not my kind of vendor.
    Good intel.

Dangit dangit dangit!!!

Trust no one.
    I have indeed heard back, however it will be a while longer.
    Now that I have the 487, I don't think I like the design of the 456 anymore... so I won't need it.
    I'll take the modded nib-unit out and put it in another pen...I think I'll source another 487 or 355.
    I've learned a lot in this journey...

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert
    No use beating yourself up after the fact. That way lies madness and despair.
    Enjoy the grind when you get it from Colin and maybe consider Gena for the next one.
    Onwards.
    You're right. I'm good right now, at least I know I can do it myself now.
    If the pen does return from Colin I will enjoy it. With this much time invested i'm sure it will be a quality build.
    I hope there won't be a next time for anything like this...I just don't have the patience.
    No fault on the nibmeisters...it's all me...my problem.
    I have operated alone far too long in life and have no true understanding of handling processes like these.
    I didn't know what I was getting into before I jumped into it.

Thanks

... I think I'll source another 487 or 355.
    If you get a 355 make sure it has the updated filling system. I have one of the older ones— it's fun but kind of fiddly.
    I still prefer the 456 in hand and the headroom in the cap is more accommodating of different nibs.

Thanks

If you get a 355 make sure it has the updated filling system. I have one of the older ones— it's fun but kind of fiddly.
    I still prefer the 456 in hand and the headroom in the cap is more accommodating of different nibs.
    Oh really? I did not know that, thank you. The filling system on the V2 DOES appear to be more robust and less failure-prone. I will be sure to order the V2 if I do choose the 355.
    However, I'm hoping my 456 returns to me before I pull the trigger on the next pen.
    The only thing I dont' like about the 456 now after having one for a few weeks (before I sent it off for repair) is the oddly tapered endcap you use to fill it with the piston.
    I like the more thick version found on the 355. Would you happen to know which holds more ink between the two? I'm guessing it's the 355 but cannot confirm.

Thanks

Oh really? I did not know that, thank you. The filling system on the V2 DOES appear to be more robust and less failure-prone. I will be sure to order the V2 if I do choose the 355.
    However, I'm hoping my 456 returns to me before I pull the trigger on the next pen.
    The only thing I dont' like about the 456 now after having one for a few weeks (before I sent it off for repair) is the oddly tapered endcap you use to fill it with the piston.
    I like the more thick version found on the 355. Would you happen to know which holds more ink between the two? I'm guessing it's the 355 but cannot confirm.
    I would guess the 355 holds more ink though I haven't measured. Both hold more than enough for my needs.

Thanks

I would guess the 355 holds more ink though I haven't measured. Both hold more than enough for my needs.
    Awesome, thank you. As a newbie myself, your experience and expertise are appreciated.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 24th, 2020)

Thanks

I'm no expert. Glad to share relevant experience if I have it and hope it helps.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post: