Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

Thanks

Question ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

Hello,

I am interested in experiencing a Flex nib other than FPR or Noodlers. Noodlers are the worst quality and FPR seem to be metallurgically unstable.
    There have to be other samples of #6 Flex Nibs out there outside of these two vendors.

I know that vintage flex nibs exist but I have not yet researched that option. I will, once I find more leads and information.

TIA

Thanks

Default Re: ISO: #6 Flex Nib (Not FPR or Noodlers plz) listing (info)

Modern nibs include Pilot Falcon (the nib, not the pen model), Conklin Omniflex, Aurora flessible and Montblanc. However in general if you want real flexibility you do need to go vintage. One relatively inexpensive vintage option is an Osmiroid 75 with a Copperplate nib. The only drawback is the very slim pen shape and nothing fancy about the material (plain plastic). The nib is compatible with vintage Esterbrook J (screw in and out). So theoretically you could buy a modern Estie plus their MV adapter for using vintage nibs if you want to upgrade the body.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Franklin-Christoph offers flex-modified no. 6 nibs. I have no idea what they are like. https://www.franklin-christoph.com/p...31248735043659

5. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Just to clarify, the copperplate Osmiroid nib is not a flexible nib.

The Pilot FA nib is a truly flexible nib with regard to its softness (requires very little pressure), but not its snapback (recovery). It is also not really fine enough in width to take advantage of the flexibility (unless it gets modified ala Mottishaw).

Don't know about other modern offerings, but I've found flexibility more frequently among vintage pens, though none quite to my liking as yet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Awesome, thank you all.
    I'm taking notes and seeing if these are all affordably acquirable.

Thanks

Ooooh!
    And it looks like they are!
    I think I'll ask for the 120.00 FC 14k EF Flex-Nib for my birthday this year!

Thanks

I would recommend that you try a Jowo No 6 14k Flex nib modified by Linda Kennedy (Indy-Pen-Dance) or Pablo (fpnibs.com) - I have the Pilot FA and the FC nib. The Kennedy/Pablo nibs are superior in every way. More spring, more flex, and fantastic flow. I have one Pablo nib and two Kennedy nibs. They are both very similar to my Richard Binder ground Jowo 14k nib. All of these are orders of magnitude better than all of my modern flex nibs unless they were reground like Mottishaw's Spencerian.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfarkhan For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 16th, 2020), Jon Szanto (September 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfarkhan View Post
    I would recommend that you try a Jowo No 6 14k Flex nib modified by Linda Kennedy (Indy-Pen-Dance) or Pablo (fpnibs.com) - I have the Pilot FA and the FC nib. The Kennedy/Pablo nibs are superior in every way. More spring, more flex, and fantastic flow. I have one Pablo nib and two Kennedy nibs. They are both very similar to my Richard Binder ground Jowo 14k nib. All of these are orders of magnitude better than all of my modern flex nibs unless they were reground like Mottishaw's Spencerian.
    Whoa...thank you!!
    Hmmm...Indy-Pen-Dance is out of stock on flex nibs...bummer.
    I didn't know that FPNIBS sold flex nibs! I'd heard of their website before but never went to see what they had available for sale.
    Thank you, that is a much better investment than trying to modify these FPR nibs I've been buying from India.
    Last edited by Detman101; September 16th, 2020 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks

Send Linda and Pablo a message. The process for buying one is a little daunting the first time. Pablo calls his a "semi-flex" and Linda is just the "flex". They are very close, Pablo's is a hair more stiff but by comparison to the soft FA and the rock hard Noodler's/Duraflex, they are a joy to use.

I have a few FPR nibs from India and they are okay but you get what you pay for... A hand ground 14k flex is better than any current machined made stock nib.

Thanks

Send Linda and Pablo a message. The process for buying one is a little daunting the first time. Pablo calls his a "semi-flex" and Linda is just the "flex". They are very close, Pablo's is a hair more stiff but by comparison to the soft FA and the rock hard Noodler's/Duraflex, they are a joy to use.

I have a few FPR nibs from India and they are okay but you get what you pay for... A hand ground 14k flex is better than any current machined made stock nib.
    I considered getting the 14k flex nib from Franklin Cristophe initially, It's half the price of the one at FPNIBS at the same flex level.
    Though the option to match the feed to the nib that FPNIBS offers is much appreciated and may be useful in the future.
    Thanks!

If my customized Penbbs-456 doesn't return in the next two weeks, I'll drop the funds on the FPNIBS order and buy another 456 to put it in.

Thanks

I own the Leonardo version of the 14k FC flex nib with the cutouts and it's not in the same ball park as the FPNibs flex nib. Not even close.

The FC 14k Jowo nib with the cutouts is a branded "elastic" nib that Leonardo, Montegrappa, Edison and a few others sell. It's sold by Jowo and it's a soft/bouncy nib at best by comparison.

The Linda and FPNibs starts with a standard 14k Jowo nib and then underground the nib and thin the tines. The first of these was done by Binder. I have that nib and they are all like my Binder flex nib.

One thing to note as I've tried using the 14k flex nibs on my PenBBS pens The nib clearance should be watched but it should be okay on the 456. The feed is as important as the reworked nib. The feeds on these allow the flex to keep up with the nib. Swapping the feed for the very good but not as flex friendly PenBBS feed may affect your performance. If this wasn't your plan, disregard my note but if that's what you want. You may wanna try a Flexible Nib Factory Jowo to Penbbs ebonite nib unit. It may perform better and keep the modified nib's geometry better
    Last edited by sfarkhan; September 16th, 2020 at 10:53 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sfarkhan For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 16th, 2020)

Thanks

I own the Leonardo version of the 14k FC flex nib with the cutouts and it's not in the same ball park as the FPNibs flex nib. Not even close.

The FC 14k Jowo nib with the cutouts is a branded "elastic" nib that Leonardo, Montegrappa, Edison and a few others sell. It's sold by Jowo and it's a soft/bouncy nib at best by comparison.

The Linda and FPNibs starts with a standard 14k Jowo nib and then underground the nib and thin the tines. The first of these was done by Binder. I have that nib and they are all like my Binder flex nib.

One thing to note as I've tried using the 14k flex nibs on my PenBBS pens The nib clearance should be watched but it should be okay on the 456. The feed is as important as the work. The feeds on these allow the flex to keep up with the nib. Swapping the feed for the very good but not as flex friendly PenBBS feed may affect your performance. If this wasn't your plan, disregard my note but if that's what you want. You may wanna try a Flexible Nib Factory Jowo to Penbbs nib unit. It may perform better and keep the modified nib's geometry better
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you!
    That was just the information I needed.
    Oh, the FlexibleNibFactory Ebonite Feed and Housing unit are what I have on the pen. It is currently having a flex nib cut for it by Colin "Honeybadger" Martin to go along with the FnF Feed unit.
    The FPR ultra-flex nib isn't good enough for that pen..there's no reliable consistency in their production.
    Once next month hits i'll order the FPNIBS 14k flex nib unit with customized options to go along with the 456 after it returns.

And if it doesn't return I'll just order another 456. This time I'll get the one I really want....cloud.

Thanks

One caveat, the 14k hand ground pens will have some variation since the work is on the underside. There is a chance it will not work with the FNF feed since it's destined for stock Jowo nibs. Keep that in mind, you may need to do a little testing and fiddling. I have one that worked out of the box but don't be surprised if it takes a little readjusting and heatsetting of the ebonite

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sfarkhan For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 16th, 2020)

Thanks

One caveat, the 14k hand ground pens will have some variation since the work is on the underside. There is a chance it will not work with the FNF feed since it's destined for stock Jowo nibs. Keep that in mind, you may need to do a little testing and fiddling. I have one that worked out of the box but don't be surprised if it takes a little readjusting and heatsetting of the ebonite
    Oh that's perfectly fine. I plan to buy the complete FPNIBS nib unit with the 14k full-flex xxf nib with pyramid breather hole and my initials inscribed on it...
    along with the flow-matched ebonite feed and housing so that they work together in any pen they go in.

Buy once, cry once...

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Detman101; September 16th, 2020 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks

Hi, sorry to butt in, but John Mottishaw is a good resource for you. I had a customized Falcon Nib about 20 years ago from him. Wish I still had it. I was not sure as to how to use it effectively and got frustrated. Passed it on, now I kick my self. Nibs.com

22. The Following User Says Thank You to abedolla For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abedolla View Post
    Hi, sorry to butt in, but John Mottishaw is a good resource for you. I had a customized Falcon Nib about 20 years ago from him. Wish I still had it. I was not sure as to how to use it effectively and got frustrated. Passed it on, now I kick my self. Nibs.com
    Thank you....but I reeeeeally don't want to go with any names that are too big and famous.
    I've waited long enough for a lesser known nibmeister to create a flex nib for me...it would be a year-long wait for someone like "John Mottishaw" to make me a nib.
    Big muckety-mucks are useless to me...they're too overloaded with work and take their sweet time due to their famous name.
    Not my kind of vendor.
    I need someone hungry to do good work in a timely fashion.
    Unlike everyone else on this board, I only have one pen at the moment until my Penbbs-456 comes back from the nibmeister...
    I can't wait a year on some big-name guy to get around to me whenever he feels after taking my money...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Thank you....but I reeeeeally don't want to go with any names that are too big and famous.
    I've waited long enough for a lesser known nibmeister to create a flex nib for me...it would be a year-long wait for someone like "John Mottishaw" to make me a nib.
    Big muckety-mucks are useless to me...they're too overloaded with work and take their sweet time due to their famous name.
    Not my kind of vendor.
    Unlike everyone else on this board, I only have one pen at the moment until my Penbbs-456 comes back from the nibmeister...
    I can't wait a year on some big-name guy to get around to me whenever he feels after taking my money...
    Interesting interview on the Penaddict podcast with Gena Salorino of Custom Nib Studio for your consideration. Takes 3-4 weeks according to her FAQs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Not my kind of vendor.
    Interesting interview on the Penaddict podcast with Gena Salorino of Custom Nib Studio for your consideration. Takes 3-4 weeks according to her FAQs.
    Good intel.
    That's about how long I've been waiting for Honeybadger to complete his work.
    I'd considered sending the pen to her and had spoken to her before I ultimately decided to send it to him.
    The situation over on the west coast has complicated getting the work completed within my expected time range...figures.
    But...one can never know which way the wind will blow.
    I bet either of them would be a shorter wait than John Mottishaw though...lol.

If I already had a flex pen and could competently practice my penmanship, I'd be fine with commissioning his work and then forgetting about it for a few months-year.
    But not having...makes waiting all the more painful.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 18th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 18th, 2020), Ole Juul (September 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Oh wow...nice!
    Now to find out how you did that....lol