Thread: Can't get Pelikan 100 to stop leaking

Thanks

Default Can't get Pelikan 100 to stop leaking

Hello all,
    A few years ago I found a beautiful Pelikan 100. I got a new barrel, rebuilt the cork plunger and it worked beautifully. It was my daily and favorite pen until I dropped it.
    That was a year or so ago. It sat on the shelf.

I recently sent it into someone to fix locally, they said they re-set the nib. When I got it back, it still leaked.

It leaked around the barrel threads, so I made the rosin/castor oil sealant and sealed the threads. It no longer leaks there. But it still slowly leaks around the nib, into the cap.

The only other thing I can think of is pulling the plunger out and adding some more silicone to hopefully seal that.

Any ideas on where or how this would continue leaking??

Thanks

Default Re: Can't get Pelikan 100 to stop leaking

Probably a crack somewhere leading to an air leak which forces ink out too

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Leaking around the Barrel threads sounds not good.

Beside that you mentioned that it sat unused for about a year on the shelf.
    Cork seals can shrink when they are dry a longer period of time so the best possible root cause for your leaking could be a shrunk cork seal (especially when the cork seal was made quite „loose“ in the beginning).

It might help if you fill your pen with plain water for at least a couple of hours (or longer, pen stored horizontally) to rehydrate the cork seal (so that it expand a little bit again, and might seal tight again).

I also have one old Pelikan with a bit loose cork seal which has problems to hold ink when it was longer unused.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

If it only leaks slowly around the nib into the cap then what I would do it to remove the nib unit from the section and carefully check with a loupe to see if there are any cracks in the end of the section or in the nib unit collar.
    If there are no visible cracks under magnification then add some silicone to the collar threads and screw the nib unit back in finger tight.

If there are cracks in the section or collar then replacement parts will probably be required.

Adding silicone to the plunger won't do anything to change the ink reservoir between the nib unit and the end of the plunger, so unless there is more air getting into the top end of the piston, that is making the ink leak out from the nib, I'm not sure that would work. However, it's worth a try if there's nothing wrong at the nib unit end.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens