Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nakaya newbie

Thanks

Default Nakaya newbie

I haven’t been here for awhile. New job and damn this COVID, but I’ve been working from home since March. Not that great as one may think as you work through what used to be your travelling time, lunch time, etc. Plus you meet nobody unless it’s on Zoom, etc. But I’m grateful I have a job. Anyhow, I somehow found out about Nakaya. Dorsal Fin 2 to be precise. Now, I’ve never seen one in the flesh but decided to place an order. Anyway, the questions they asked got me thinking. See, I can afford it, but I’m inexperienced. They asked how fast do you write, what angle do you hold the pen, etc. They said “For your hands only”. I went Whoa. Hang on. I know nothing. What if this ends up being a dud from a writing perspective. It’s not like I can send it back. So before I drop $2kAUD on it, what should I be considering? My gut feel is think of something else until I know what “nib feedback” is, what “elastic nib” is and more. Hence why I’m posting to elicit your advice. Appreciate any advice. Cheers

Thanks

Default Re: Nakaya newbie

There's nothing wrong with wanting a Nakaya Dorsal Fin. They are splendid pens.

But you should go out right now and grab a Lamy safari with all the nib options, and do a heck of a lot of writing. Grab a cheap semi-flex like those offered by Fountain Pen Revolution. Do a *lot* of writing and observe as you write
    - what you like and what you don't like,
    - whether your writing looks better with one nib or another
    - any issues with rotation (you'll find that with the wide italic nib, if you let the pen move around, it hits the corner and you have to move your grip)
    - what angle you tend to write at, both the angle of the pen to the paper and the angle of the pen to your body.

And then you will get an idea of the right replies. It's not rocket science but it will take a bit of thinking time. And also write at different speeds - careful script, fast scribble - to see if your preferences change depending on the kind of writing you're doing.

You may be keeping your Nakaya for relaxed writing at home and not using it as a 'regular' pen. In which case, obviously, pick the answers that are about doing that kind of writing, and use your cheapies or even a ballpoint/rollerball for scribbling notes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

There really isn't as much of a risk as you might imagine. If you are not familiar with an "elastic nib" just don't order it. You can get an idea about all the other issues such as whether you hold your pen close to the nib like the little kid holds a pencil or way back like you hold chalk or in between. Look at the angle to the paper when you are writing and is it near vertical or midway or near horizontal. Do you press when writing? Do you still write through NCR or Carbon paper?

And add notes. Tell them you are still inexperienced and they will be able to create a more forgiving nib than they would for an experienced calligrapher.

They are all older grandfather type folk and so more patient and flexible than first time parents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

amk (September 8th, 2020)

Thanks

I think people above covered most of what you need to know. However two points remain

Feedback is literally feedback. How much you feel the paper through the nib is how I would describe it. Best case here I think is sailor, where they make the most delightful feed-back-y nibs...

2nd, are you ordering from Nakaya itself or through one of their "authorized retailers"? It takes several months for a Dorsal Fin 2, and you have plenty of time to experiment and test... then get back to Nakaya about what you want. I agree with @amk that you should go and try as many nibs as you can,,, perhaps there is a fountain pen store near you? See how you write with a pencil etc, then fill out those options. Leave a note (like jar said) that says you're fairly new to the FP world and that you want a email before they finalize your nib so that you can update your preferences then when you have more experience. It sounds like something they could accommodate you with, and it might take anywhere from 8-12 months is what they're quoting on new orders though if someone cancels your queue could be up faster.

Anyways your journey of what you like and dislike isnt so black and white. Normally I use EF nib for my daily EDCs but once in a while I pull out the naginta-togi or the broad, I would like to get a FA at one point too but the point is that there are multitudes of nibs for different purposes and finding what you enjoy should be the top priority because the craftsman there can and will make it for you
    Last edited by sworist; September 7th, 2020 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks

I knew I came to the right place! Yes, I am ordering from Nakaya and intent is for this to be my EDC pen, so will sit on my $2K and go the Lamy as @amk suggested. Nakaya said 8 - 10 months but I'm not in a hurry. @amk's route will help me better understand my likes & dislikes. If that takes another 6 months, so be it. Really appreciate your time and advice people. Cheers.....Mars

Thanks

Hi all, ok, so this is what has since happened. I went to my local, slapped a few machines and walked out $8K up. Hmmmm...Nakaya? So despite your advice and my seeming intent to take same onboard (sorry), ordered a Dorsal Fin 2 in Midori-Tamenuri Medium Gold nib from this place in Singapore. Original preference was Aka-Tamenuri, but no stock. Hopefully I love it. Will post some pics. Cheers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang Mars For This Useful Post:

amk (September 17th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Wait, what?

Hahaha! Did you just win a gobful of money? Congratulations! And congratulations on choosing the Dorsal Fin 2.0 - it's one of the loveliest Nakaya models (my favorite remains the Piccolo Cigar).

After I lost my kuro tamenuri Piccolo last year in Wrocław, Poland (on 19 January), I decided that I would not replace it. "Accept loss forever," I said, quoting Jack Kerouac. In fact, I had called this pen Kurouac, and then laughed about all the times I had dropped it on the road. Fourth time's the charm for losing it, I guess.

I tried to place an order for a replacement last October, despite my pledge not to. On the very last step of the ordering process, the confirmation step, I flubbed it and the whole order disappeared. I took that as a sign not to try again.

Here we are... almost a year later and... another attempt at ordering completed without mistake, and so a kuro tamenuri Piccolo Cigar will arrive... one of these days. It gives me something joyful to look forward to.

As for potential disappointment with the nib, the writing experience, I'd be surprised if you couldn't exchange the nib within a certain number of days if you realized "wrong nib!"

As for the pen itself -- the pen model is definitely beautiful, but that is a subjective determination, but I would be surprised if you (in general "you," too) were disappointed with the tamenuri, the urushi. I've shown my Nakayas to friends and co-workers and other pen people and civilians, and I've yet to hear anyone say "I don't like the urushi."

Looking forward to seeing your photos! I hope the pen writes to your satisfaction, if not joy.
    Last edited by ethernautrix; September 10th, 2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: grammatical glitch :-D

Thanks

Yes, yes - gobful of $$$$. Pure luck. I'm not an expert in writing experience, though I prefer my Sailor nibs to my Pilot Type S. Nib change...it's a long way from Sydney to Singapore, but I think nib will be OK. Arrives on Monday according to tracking. Will know then. Cheers

Thanks

Hi all, pen arrived. Have attached a few pics. Comparison with MB149 capped, uncapped & nib sizes. Filled it with Iroshizuku Chiku-rin which I thought would be complimentary & judging by the writing test, worked out bl**dy nicely!! Ordered a medium nib, but seems more like an European fine. I've heard that mentioned previously, but didn't want to order a broad just in case it was too thick. Not as quick to settle into your hand due to the fin. Little trick to learn when capping so the fins align when closed. Lighter than it looks and what I thought it would be. Nice writer. Took it work yesterday and someone asked about it. Didn't tell them the full Nakaya Urushi story as I don't want them thinking I wear golden underwear. So just said "The pen is mightier than the sword, so I bought a pen that looked like a sword". After a few blank looks....."Katana guys, you know, Japanese sword". "Oh yeah" they say. Anyway, quite happy. Was it worth the $$? As just a pen, probably not. For the artistic creativity, workmanship, and uniqueness, definitely a YES! Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg D.jpg (442.3 KB, 160 views)
    • File Type: jpg K.jpg (515.5 KB, 163 views)
    • File Type: jpg L.jpg (316.5 KB, 156 views)
    • File Type: jpg M.jpg (315.5 KB, 164 views)
    • File Type: jpg N.jpg (429.8 KB, 163 views)
    • File Type: jpg O.jpg (356.7 KB, 160 views)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mustang Mars For This Useful Post:

damfino (September 21st, 2020), ethernautrix (September 16th, 2020), junglejim (September 17th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Very nice. Now what's next?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (September 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Whew do a review over @pen reviews sub-forum!

Midori tamenuri looking nice.... a shark added to your collection!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Hands in pockets me thinks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Mars View Post
    You mean hide you wallet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sworist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Mars View Post
    You mean hide you wallet?
    Yup!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

That is a beauty! Enjoy writing with it in good health!

Thanks

You lucky, lucky beast!

Good luck with your Nakaya. Dorsal fin is such a gorgeous model. Enjoy!!!

Thanks

Thank you all for your kind words. Loving using it. Have even got the fin alignment down pat when closing. Definitely my EDC, but need to get a pen pouch. The kimono is nice, but.......

Thanks

Check out Chan’s handmade. Definitely a premium price but well worth it. They can customize their work to fit the dorsal fin.

Thanks

Hi sworist, got a URL for Chan's Handmade? Cannot find it using the G. Thanks.

Thanks

Sent you a pm