Thread: Esterbrook JR?

Thanks

Default Esterbrook JR?

As in Ewing? Yes, I love my old Esterbrooks. I don't have many of them...yet. Give me time. But I want a new "Estie" because I think they are beautiful, and the Esterbrook JR attracts me, too. Any thoughts on the JR other than it looks like a fountain pen, and not a particularly unique one at that? (I still think it's pretty).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

pajaro (November 2nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Esterbrook JR?

I won't be running and drop $140 for it.

But, some credit where credit is due. Just looking at the clip gives me the warm and fuzzy. Finally, I thought, they got the clip right!

I also like the muted colors and pattern that they put on this one. I for one never understood the fascination with garish acrylics on some the "Estie" model.

One thing I don't understand, why not include the vintage nib adapter with this new JR ????

(As far as I can tell, it's not even an option that would work on this pen).

For $140, you can afford to include the adapter and still make good profit, and it will make the pen a truly inspired reboot (or tribute) to a legend.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

catbert (September 9th, 2020), Jon Szanto (September 9th, 2020), pajaro (November 2nd, 2020), TFarnon (September 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,653 Times in 1,132 Posts

It's a nice attempt to evoke some their heritage. I see their website is also co-opting Charles Schulz even though he used dip nibs not fountain pens.

As penwash said, it would have been good to include the vintage nib adapter, or at least make it an option.

What bugs me is the 'pocket pen' designation, which suggests a Kaweco Sport or similar. The JR is on the smaller end of regular sized — about the same as a Pelikan M400 or a Parker 75 — and the rest of the Esterbrook lineup is large or oversized.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

pajaro (November 2nd, 2020), TFarnon (September 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I reviewed it (ukfountainpens.com) and enjoyed it a lot. I agree that it's not a pocket pen — I took some side-by-side shots and it's basically the same size as the J. The colours, the clip, the hand feel are all great. I too would have liked the inclusion of the nib adaptor, but the JoWo #5 included in the pen really does perform wonderfully. I know there is a LOT of competition at this price point but the JR puts up a really good fight.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eciton For This Useful Post:

TFarnon (September 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eciton View Post
    I reviewed it (ukfountainpens.com) and enjoyed it a lot. I agree that it's not a pocket pen — I took some side-by-side shots and it's basically the same size as the J. The colours, the clip, the hand feel are all great. I too would have liked the inclusion of the nib adaptor, but the JoWo #5 included in the pen really does perform wonderfully. I know there is a LOT of competition at this price point but the JR puts up a really good fight.
    I read your review, well done.

And I also read your review on the new Tibaldi, which I also enjoy (the review, not the pen). I think getting a rubberized clip for that price, is a downgrade, at least make it removable, so I can put on my vintage clips if I want to
    - Will

10. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

TFarnon (September 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I couldn't help myself. There was a decent sale on it at PenBoutique, so I bought one, in blue. We shall see.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 1st, 2020)

Thanks

I received the Esterbrook JR today. I think it's absolutely beautiful, in a swirly pearly deep blue with gold trim. The pearl sheen give the pen the faintest of green-blue undertones, making it that much more beautiful. It's not too large for my tastes. It's like Goldilocks and the three bears: just right--not too slim, not too thick, not too long, not too short.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TFarnon View Post
    I received the Esterbrook JR today. I think it's absolutely beautiful, in a swirly pearly deep blue with gold trim. The pearl sheen give the pen the faintest of green-blue undertones, making it that much more beautiful. It's not too large for my tastes. It's like Goldilocks and the three bears: just right--not too slim, not too thick, not too long, not too short.
    This is good to hear. I don't really understand why they seem to market this as a "pocket" pen.
    Instead of doing that, they should make a big deal of the "JR" as J-series Rebooted.

This model is the most faithful one to the original Esterbrook J. I'm glad that you find the material to be beautiful because that's one of the cool thing about the original. Especially when you put a few of them together, none of them reflect the light the exact same way.
    - Will