Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Inktober 2020

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Inktober 2020

You can call it a Swamp Boat or Airboat, this thing floats and glides over anything ... perfect for search and rescue jobs.

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 28th, 2020), eachan (October 29th, 2020), junglejim (October 30th, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 29th, 2020), usk15 (October 29th, 2020), Voiren (October 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Not late at all. Today is "float."
    I wondered if you might have an earth-mover to post for "dig."

I don't remember to have anything from heavy-duty category...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Prompt: Shoes

Time for the endspurt and the last ink change of inktober.
    Diamine Twilight is gone and Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün replaced it in my trusted Pelikan 400NN Brown Tortoise.

Looking at the prompt shoes the decision was clear for me, it had to be a high heel.

I know that these shoes are a pain wear and also bad for health (my wife also do not wear such shoes), but as a man they are appealing for me, they just look asthetic, sexy and elegant on the right feets

inktober2020-29 Shoes by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Pelikan 400NN - F ..... Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün, Rotring Zeichentusche Weiß)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 29th, 2020), Detman101 (October 31st, 2020), junglejim (October 30th, 2020), Kaputnik (October 29th, 2020), Voiren (October 29th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

29.Shoes

Shoes.JPG
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 29th, 2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 29th, 2020), Detman101 (October 31st, 2020), eachan (October 29th, 2020), junglejim (October 30th, 2020), Kaputnik (October 29th, 2020), Voiren (October 29th, 2020)

Thanks

@Voiren,
    I‘m interested in your technique and would like to know more about it.

You wrote you use bleach.
    What kind of bleach do you use?
    As I understand there are many different kinds of bleaches out there.
    Is it something based on chlorine or something based on hydrogen peroxide, or something based on calcium hypochlorite,....... ???

To be honest I have no idea what people (especially from the US) are talking about when they are say: common household bleach
    I never used any kind of bleach and I also don’t know anyone who does, nor that here is something in the supermarket which is sold as “Bleiche” or “Bleichmittel” (German for Bleach).
    So I think one could say that Bleach isn’t common in Austrian or German households.

Is your “Bleach” something to bleach clothes or a kind of chlorine based toilet cleaner, or something completely different?
    Do you get it in the drugstore?

How do you apply it?
    On the dry ink/paper or when it is still wet?

Doesn’t it damage the paper? (or will it eat up the paper over the next weeks/months)

Can you still write draw on areas which had contact with bleach, just like before?

Please tell me something about the process and your experiences.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    @Voiren,

Is it something based on chlorine or something based on hydrogen peroxide, or something based on calcium hypochlorite,....... ???

To be honest I have no idea what people (especially from the US) are talking about when they are say: common household bleach
    I never used any kind of bleach and I also don’t know anyone who does, nor that here is something in the supermarket which is sold as “Bleiche” or “Bleichmittel” (German for Bleach).
    So I think one could say that Bleach isn’t common in Austrian or German households.

Is your “Bleach” something to bleach clothes or a kind of chlorine based toilet cleaner, or something completely different?

How do you apply it?

Doesn’t it damage the paper? (or will it eat up the paper over the next weeks/months)

Can you still write draw on areas which had contact with bleach, just like before?

Thanks!
    If you look up Nick Stewart (https://nickstewart.ink/), this is basically his technique. (Heh, on his Techniques page he has a couple using Lexington Gray as well for the resist).

I use Sainsbury's Basics Thin Bleach, active ingredient: less than 5% Sodium hypochlorite. (Blurb: "Bleach can be used to effectively kill germs, remove stains, whiten whites and remove unpleasant smells from outside drains and wastepipes."). Yup, really cheap general cleaner, without the added perfume or limescale remover there tends to be in toilet cleaners.

I use a paintbrush that I only use for the bleach - it hasn't noticeably degraded yet. To get the spatter, I flick the end of the brush with a plastic pipette. Sometimes I might use the pipette directly to make bigger splodges. That's also only used for this.

Depending on how saturated the ink is and how resistant, you can get it going straight to white, or need to go over it several times and get gold or blue-silver colours before it reaches white. Or it might do basically nothing.

It doesn't seem to have long-term paper degradation issues - Nick might have posted about that as he uses it for paid art, but I seem to recall that bleach degrades reasonably quickly so doesn't continue acting. My pieces from last year look just the same as they did then.

Normally I wait for the ink to dry first before applying, but you can do it wet - it just might spread more where you may not want it! Yes, you can put more ink on top - again, works best if you let the bleach dry first, or it'll start bleaching what you were just adding. So you can add highlights and put a colour wash back over them. You might get a slight reaction if it was very saturated with bleach first - leaving it longer would probably help with that.

I like it because it works much better than fountain pen whites in most circumstances! Unless you used an ink that is unaffected by it.

In my brown notebook, it will bleach the paper a bit as well and make it whiter. Again, it does more if it was an actual droplet rather than a dryer brushstroke.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 29th, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 29th, 2020)

Thanks

#27 Music (with colour)

Inktober_2020_27_Music.jpg

Noodler's Lexington Gray, Diamine/Cult Pens Philip/Little Pip, Pure Pens Cotswolds, Parker Quink black, bleach.

#28 Float

Inktober_2020_28_Float.jpg

A quick one. If you've seen It's Okay To Not Be Okay you might recognise!
    Noodler's Lexington Gray, Diamine/Cult Pens Christine/Little Chris, bleach.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 30th, 2020), Chrissy (October 29th, 2020), Detman101 (October 31st, 2020), eachan (October 29th, 2020), junglejim (October 30th, 2020), Kaputnik (October 29th, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 29th, 2020), usk15 (October 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voiren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    @Voiren,

How do you apply it?

Thanks!
    If you look up Nick Stewart (https://nickstewart.ink/), this is basically his technique. (Heh, on his Techniques page he has a couple using Lexington Gray as well for the resist).

I use Sainsbury's Basics Thin Bleach, active ingredient: less than 5% Sodium hypochlorite. (Blurb: "Bleach can be used to effectively kill germs, remove stains, whiten whites and remove unpleasant smells from outside drains and wastepipes."). Yup, really cheap general cleaner, without the added perfume or limescale remover there tends to be in toilet cleaners.

I use a paintbrush that I only use for the bleach - it hasn't noticeably degraded yet. To get the spatter, I flick the end of the brush with a plastic pipette. Sometimes I might use the pipette directly to make bigger splodges. That's also only used for this.

Depending on how saturated the ink is and how resistant, you can get it going straight to white, or need to go over it several times and get gold or blue-silver colours before it reaches white. Or it might do basically nothing.

It doesn't seem to have long-term paper degradation issues - Nick might have posted about that as he uses it for paid art, but I seem to recall that bleach degrades reasonably quickly so doesn't continue acting. My pieces from last year look just the same as they did then.

Normally I wait for the ink to dry first before applying, but you can do it wet - it just might spread more where you may not want it! Yes, you can put more ink on top - again, works best if you let the bleach dry first, or it'll start bleaching what you were just adding. So you can add highlights and put a colour wash back over them. You might get a slight reaction if it was very saturated with bleach first - leaving it longer would probably help with that.

I like it because it works much better than fountain pen whites in most circumstances! Unless you used an ink that is unaffected by it.

In my brown notebook, it will bleach the paper a bit as well and make it whiter. Again, it does more if it was an actual droplet rather than a dryer brushstroke.
    Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. 👍
    I think I will search for a suitable bleach and try this technique out.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

Inktober 2020
    30. "OMINOUS"

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 30th, 2020), Chrissy (October 30th, 2020), eachan (October 30th, 2020), junglejim (October 30th, 2020), penwash (October 30th, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 30th, 2020), usk15 (October 30th, 2020), Voiren (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Love it christof.

Thanks

Prompt: Ominous

Again a topic where I had no ideas, and just thought ..... why.... who create those .. .. prompts and why.....
    Anyway, here is my "Ominous"

inktober2020-30 Ominous by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Pelikan 400NN - F ..... Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün)

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 30th, 2020), eachan (October 30th, 2020), junglejim (October 30th, 2020), Kaputnik (October 30th, 2020), penwash (October 30th, 2020), usk15 (October 30th, 2020), Voiren (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    Inktober 2020
    30. "OMINOUS"

This.

This is a very creative interpretation that is also well-executed!
    - Will

20. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

christof (September 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Inspired by a famous vintage tennis shoes from the 1970's.

- Will

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 30th, 2020), Chrissy (October 30th, 2020), Detman101 (October 31st, 2020), junglejim (October 31st, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 30th, 2020), Voiren (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

30. Ominous

I found this a tricky prompt and this was the most ominous thing I could come up with.

Ominous.JPG

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 30th, 2020), Detman101 (October 31st, 2020), eachan (October 30th, 2020), junglejim (October 31st, 2020), Kaputnik (October 30th, 2020), usk15 (October 30th, 2020), Voiren (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Love it christof.
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    This is a very creative interpretation that is also well-executed!
    Thank you!
    ... unfortunately I did not have the time this year that I would have liked to have had. May be next year.
    C.
    Last edited by christof; October 30th, 2020 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks

#29 Shoes

Inktober_2020_29_Shoes.jpg

After "Seasons of Glass and Iron" by Amal El-Mohtar. (The thing I somewhat ran out of resolution to make obvious is that the shoes are made of iron).

Noodler's Lexington Gray, Parker Quink black, Diamine/Cult Pens Christine/Little Chris, bleach.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

eachan (October 31st, 2020), junglejim (October 31st, 2020), Kaputnik (October 30th, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 30th, 2020), usk15 (October 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Imagine this vintage locomotive crawling to the top of the mountain with its tilted boiler.

I guess this is the last prompt.

I've been enjoying the artworks shared in this thread. Thank you to all who participate.

** And you'll see me yakking about the pen in another thread soon.
    - Will

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (October 31st, 2020), eachan (October 31st, 2020), junglejim (October 31st, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 31st, 2020), usk15 (October 30th, 2020), Voiren (October 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Prompt: Crawl

inktober2020-31 Crawl by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Pelikan 400NN - F ..... Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün, Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus)

The last prompt for this Inktober.
    Time to look back to my 4th participation in Inktober.
    This year it was really easy and smooth for me to perform Inktober.
    A perception I didn´t had the previous participations.
    Of course there were days where I did not liked the prompt or when I was already quite tired in the evening or was not top motivated, but overall it gone very easy.

I also loved the new Hahnemühle Toned Watercolor sketchbook, It is the best sketchbook for wet ink washes I´ve used so far, and the first time I used both sides of a sheet without any problems.

This year I focused on widely monochrome pieces in Inktober, mainly 1 primary ink (plus white sometimes) and sometimes 1 or at maximum 2 additional colors.
    This limited color palette forced me to focus on the avalable contrast and tone range.
    I love using colors but also this limitation resulted in interesting results.
    Ok, sometimes I struggled a little bit with this approach and wished to have more colors available, but it was a good exercise.

At least I changed the primary color always after 4 prompts and used a new ink.
    Despite the ink attributes of the used inks were quite different I was satisfied and pleased with all the used inks. Maybe drawing alone with Red Dragon was a bit of a challenge because of the quite limited achievable tone range.

Used primary inks were:
    - Diamine Sargasso Sea
    - P.W. Akkerman Voorhout Violet
    - Diamine Sherwood Green
    - Montblanc Toffee Brown
    - Diamine Red Dragon
    - Rohrer & Klingner Lotte (the only waterproof ink used)
    - Diamine Twilight
    - Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün

I also used the same fountain pen in the whole inktober, an awesome Pelikan 400NN Brown Tortoise from the 50s with a fine nib.
    I consider the vintage Pelikan fountain pens of the 50s as some of the best pens ever made.

Looking back to my pieces there were some which I do not liked at all and some which I was very pleased with.

My favorite pieces along my own ones are:
    - Slippery
    - Armor
    - Coral
    - Chef
    - Music
    - Shoes
    - Crawl

Inktober for me is not only an opportunity to improve and practice, it is also always an opportunity to look at pieces of other participants.
    I really enjoy loooking at pieces of others, see how they work, their techniques and how they approach the challenge.

Thanks to all the other participants which participated the challenge.
    I enjoyed looking at your pieces.

Overall I really enjoyed this inktober (also with my new approach), it was a much more relaxed one than the previous 3 I participated.
    I´m looking forward to the next years challenge.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 31st, 2020), eachan (October 31st, 2020), junglejim (October 31st, 2020), Kaputnik (October 31st, 2020), penwash (October 31st, 2020), usk15 (October 31st, 2020), Voiren (October 31st, 2020)

Thanks

Inktober 2020 31. "CRAWL"

33. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 31st, 2020), Chrissy (October 31st, 2020), eachan (October 31st, 2020), junglejim (October 31st, 2020), Kaputnik (October 31st, 2020), penwash (October 31st, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 31st, 2020), usk15 (October 31st, 2020), Voiren (October 31st, 2020)

Thanks

#30 Ominous

Inktober_2020_30_Ominous.jpg

Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd!

Noodler's Lexington Gray, Diamine Red Dragon and Pelham Blue, bleach.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

azkid (October 31st, 2020), christof (October 31st, 2020), eachan (October 31st, 2020), junglejim (October 31st, 2020), Kaputnik (October 31st, 2020), Pterodactylus (October 31st, 2020), usk15 (November 1st, 2020)