Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your favorites: Nib, FP Body shape, Accessories

Thanks

Default Re: Your favorites: Nib, FP Body shape, Accessories

Though I like lever pens, I understand why some might regard the lever as a scar on the barrel. That's one of the reasons my choice is the Swan Leverless 1060 (wartime version) matched with a fine stub nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,001 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    Though I like lever pens, I understand why some might regard the lever as a scar on the barrel. That's one of the reasons my choice is the Swan Leverless 1060 (wartime version) matched with a fine stub nib.
    I must admit I don't like to see a lever on a barrel.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Almost anything but a lever (or coin) filler, I find them ugly and I dislike the way they sit on the barrel like a scar.
    Not trying to sway anyone's preference, just want to point out that there are ugly levers, and elegant levers.

Look at Conklin's short lever fillers (the Toledo years, not Chicago years), or Waterman and some Eclipse with the framing around the lever. These are well thought out, well designed levers that plays together with the design of the pen. Once in a while I see a nice and very old BHR with filigree that incorporate the lever into the decoration.

Others, especially cheaply made ones, are nothing else but functional, sometimes it isn't even functioning properly with loose fit, and crudely constructed mechanism to keep it in place. Ironically, Esterbrook J levers are some of the most robust ones out there.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Never consider the lever a scar. I mean it’s got its purpose. It’s a stick shift on a manual transmission a scar?? Lol!
    It would be if it stuck through the bonnet!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Almost anything but a lever (or coin) filler, I find them ugly and I dislike the way they sit on the barrel like a scar.
    Not trying to sway anyone's preference, just want to point out that there are ugly levers, and elegant levers.

Look at Conklin's short lever fillers (the Toledo years, not Chicago years), or Waterman and some Eclipse with the framing around the lever. These are well thought out, well designed levers that plays together with the design of the pen. Once in a while I see a nice and very old BHR with filigree that incorporate the lever into the decoration.

Others, especially cheaply made ones, are nothing else but functional, sometimes it isn't even functioning properly with loose fit, and crudely constructed mechanism to keep it in place. Ironically, Esterbrook J levers are some of the most robust ones out there.
    I agree with that. I'm not against levers. After all, they're a better filling system than many of those that came after. I just slightly prefer the uninterrupted shape of the Leverless or button filler.

Thanks

Shape: Flat-Ends
    Material: Ebonite, Hard Rubber
    Nib: Vintage 14k with flex or italic, stub
    Size: Fine (flex), Medium-Broad (italic-stub)
    Filling System: LF
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

No particular preference for shape or adornments; just whatever spins my wheels when I see it. I don't have a type.

For nibs... I guess the principal factor for me is that it should be precise. That quality can apply to pretty much any nib grind.

Thanks

I guess I like old Hard rubber, Eye dropper pens, Clipess which rolls down and drop on the ground . That can be damaged easily by rolling down and could easily bring bad sad imotion to the heart.
    Pens with self filling and very difficlut to maintain with out a expert pen repairer. So they look special and inique and not feeling like having intrenational Carteges which is using the same uniqueness of a Jonhao do.
    Interm of lines they make I always think I need to see the mistake I do in writing so the fine lines is helping me to see odds of turning ,decending curves that should be to my liking of drawing or writing my words and space.
    I call it it is my discipline of legibility of letters I put in to my style of writing.
    I think this is my own preference and this mindset put me to a different way of writing and at the same time to get into the sickness of "Pennophilia Syndrom" .
    Sadly I heard there's no cure for this in this life time but hoping to be a better Karma during next life time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I guess I like old Hard rubber, Eye dropper pens, Clipess which rolls down and drop on the ground . That can be damaged easily by rolling down and could easily bring bad sad imotion to the heart....
    One famous answer to this problem was promoted 116 years ago:

Thanks

I tend to like vintage but common stuff. I like vintage pens made from celluloid or hard rubber. I like the medium/standard size the best.

My brand preference is for an old Sheaffer's or Waterman's, but I have other pens too.

My favorite nibs tend to be medium or medium-fine nibs. I like either a firm nib (Sheaffer's Lifetime, for example) or something with just a little give (Waterman's #2, Sheaffer Self-Filling types, or Sheaffer Feather Touch #5, for example).

A less-common nib variation I really like are the Sheaffer's Lifetimes that have an up-turn at the end similar to the Triumph. I like the mix of the open nib and section with the up-turned, rounded tip. They make great note-takers.

I'm partial to lever or button fillers, though I also like the Sheaffer Touchdown system. The Sheaffer vac/wire fillers can be nice too, but aren't as easy to restore as a lever or Touchdown.