Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Allure of Expensive Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: The Allure of Expensive Pens

I find a great deal of enjoyment in looking for a pen that has caught my interest: the chase.

In getting to know the world of pens, I've gone from being bewildered by the millions of options, new and old, to gradually refining my tastes and interests. I've found what piques my curiosity and what is best left for others to enjoy. When gradually focusing in like this, the occasional pen will come up that... well, it would be really great if I can find it, and find it within what I'm comfortable paying for. I am very well aware that scarcity can (and usually does) increase the cost of an item. I accept that is the way the world turns, and adjust my attitude accordingly. It is also a given that with rarity comes a commensurate increase in the likelihood I won't be successful. Completely understandable.

I found one pen that I looked for over a seven year period. I was lucky, and rewarded with a pen in pristine condition and less than I expected to pay. It was not a cheap pen but the majority would have been sold for even more. I value that pen for all of the elements it holds: design, history, function, and the delight and honor of being able to use it. Adding on top of all that, the charm of finding it after such a long search, never stressful, just curious and fun, and the patient action of looking and gathering it in finally paying off. It was worth every cent I paid for it, though I have paid more for other pens.

So the chase adds a personal value, one that I can't transmit to anyone else. At the end of the day, what is expensive? It is just a word that differs in meaning, in this instance, from person to person. I constantly see pen friends purchasing pens far more costly than I'd ever spend, or buying pens in great regularity, the sum total making my head spin. None of that really affects me - I just relate to pens the way that gives me pleasure, and everyone else can find their own way. If I share my experience, it is just that: sharing. No one need, nor should, follow my interest or path.

Besides, until we go to a completely cashless world, there's always a bank to rob.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; September 12th, 2020 at 12:29 PM. Reason: grammar
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

amk (October 6th, 2020), AzJon (September 12th, 2020), azkid (September 12th, 2020), Detman101 (September 12th, 2020), Empty_of_Clouds (September 15th, 2020), manoeuver (September 13th, 2020)

Thanks

I’ve enjoyed the search as well.
    Recently discovering the Parker Jotter generations has been enjoyable.

I’ve also thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful forum. It’s made the hobby path a delight.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 12th, 2020), Jon Szanto (September 12th, 2020), manoeuver (September 13th, 2020)

Thanks

I used to chase vintage American pens and got a few very nice ones at low prices. I also enjoyed restoring them. I could have just plonked down the cash and purchased the pens from a dealer, but i guess i enjoyed the hunt in all those Great Lakes basin small towns.

I don’t have the time for the hunt anymore. On top of that, i’ve narrowed my preferences so much that it would end up being frustrating.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

amk (October 6th, 2020), AzJon (September 12th, 2020), azkid (September 12th, 2020), Jon Szanto (September 12th, 2020), TFarnon (September 13th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I was going to say that the premise is the same as asking why eat delicious food, but realised that it's not really the same at all.

The allure of pens that are expensive seems to boil down to several simple factors (in no particular order, and please add, as I'm sure I've missed some)

1. Scarcity of build materials.
    2. Known quality (including artisanship).
    3. Perceived quality.
    4. Brand perceptions.
    5. Trend following.
    6. Lack of other options.

edit:

7. Aesthetics.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; September 15th, 2020 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks

I have a Lamy Vista made from precious resin aka ABS. I've been delighted with the FP nib that is really a medium in disquise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I was going to say that the premise is the same as asking why eat delicious food, but realised that it's not really the same at all.

The allure of pens that are expensive seems to boil down to several simple factors (in no particular order, and please add, as I'm sure I've missed some)

3. Perceived quality.
    4. Brand perceptions.
    5. Trend following.
    I would add a pen's aesthetics. Be honest. Don't we appreciate beauty in an object? Aren't pens appreciated for their appearance? Isn't a well crafted, visually attractive pen a work of art?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post

3. Perceived quality.
    4. Brand perceptions.
    5. Trend following.
    I would add a pen's aesthetics. Be honest. Don't we appreciate beauty in an object? Aren't pens appreciated for their appearance? Isn't a well crafted, visually attractive pen a work of art?
    They look good in the pocket.....LOL!!

Thanks

3. Perceived quality.
    4. Brand perceptions.
    5. Trend following.
    Absolutely!

Add to the list.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post

3. Perceived quality.
    4. Brand perceptions.
    5. Trend following.
    They look good in the pocket.....LOL!!
    Totally do. When we could still go out and do things, and I were present at an event where I could wear a shirt with a pocket, I would put a nice pen in there for the evening. I started more than one conversation over my Sheaffer Radite/Jadeite.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

3. Perceived quality.
    4. Brand perceptions.
    5. Trend following.

edit:

7. Aesthetics.
    This is essentially the same thing I pointed out in my comment earlier

But, you made it into a list and leave it open ended. Good job, David!

I would add:

8. Innovation (perceived or not).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

It dawned on me last night that there is a large disconnect embodied in the entire thread (as titled). The fact of the matter is that I have never been attracted to a pen based on it's price. I am not drawn to pens because they are expensive, nor am I drawn to those that are cheap. I am drawn to pens that I like for any reason outside of that.

I was reminded of this last night while getting to know a brand new Moonman S5, which came with two extra nibs, one of which is a really nice italic of about .5-6 mm. I lined up 4 other pens that have narrow italics that I enjoy writing with, and they range in price from $20 to $350. I would buy any one of the them again, but the fact is that they all appeal to me for elements other than the price. This S5, with additional nibs, was $25.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; September 16th, 2020 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Correction on nib width
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 16th, 2020), catbert (September 16th, 2020), Empty_of_Clouds (September 16th, 2020), Ole Juul (September 16th, 2020), penwash (September 16th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 16th, 2020), TFarnon (September 16th, 2020)

Thanks

True that; it's more likely that there's a small section of the population that is drawn to a brand because it represents wealth (and is concomittantly expensive) rather than just on the basis of price alone.

Expense is going to be inevitable with regard to some factors, like unusual materials or gold nibs, but it is precisely these things that form the allure. Hard to separate one from the other, though some pen companies may try.

Complicated subject because even if we use the word "taste" it is not a simple 'what it looks like' proposition, but encompasses a variety of perspectives about the object.

Thanks

The allure to me is coupled with unattainable. I still lust after an MB Agatha C knowing full well it ain’t gonna happen. I have every type of pen I need with spares in case. A copy or clone of an expensive pen doesn’t work to satisfy the allure, it’s just a waste of money.

Thanks

Being a novice in the FP world I am unaware of pens being sold/have been sold which have/had provenance tied to a famous person. For example, I would imagine a Conklin pen from the era of Twain would sell for X dollars and a Conklin pen owned by Twain would sell for X*Y dollars. I can imagine such a pen would add an enticing element as well as a bump in the price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by picautomaton View Post
    The allure to me is coupled with unattainable. I still lust after an MB Agatha C knowing full well it ain’t gonna happen. I have every type of pen I need with spares in case. A copy or clone of an expensive pen doesn’t work to satisfy the allure, it’s just a waste of money.
    I felt the same - in fact I was near obsessed, since I always loved Agatha Christie and read all her works by the age of 15. I don't have one within the meaning of the act, according to MB; I bought a damaged one for a very reasonable price and sourced a replacement clip, (not from MB, hence their rejection of it) since mine was gone. However, it is my custom Agatha, since I was never fond of the red eyes - mine has a silver snake with emerald eyes. And it is fabulous, but not my favorite pen, because the nib is just a little too thin for me. Irony, eh?
    Last edited by empliau; September 17th, 2020 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks

Hello all. I made an account here just to weigh into the conversation and then I didn't post anything because I thought "wtf do I know?" I'm new to all this. Anyway. I'm new to fountain pens. I've only been playing around with them for about a month. I was moving around some old boxes that belonged to my grandparents last month when I came across an old Kaweco Sport. Memories flooded back to me of stealing gramps "screwdriver" pens when I was a kid and here I am. I hopped online and started doing research. So far I have ordered another Kaweco Sport but in stainless steel and a Kaweco Liliput in steel too. Today I have a Kaweco Supra in steel (see the theme here lol) arriving that I am pretty excited about. I found this site when looking into all the hype I saw about Noodlers inks and the fellow who runs it.

I caught SBREBROWNs video on youtube and it temporarily delayed my supra purchase. I kind of questioned why it was that I wanted these pens. The Kawecos I was buying weren't close to the Visconti's I've been drooling over.. In the end I decided that I was going to get what I wanted and that was all the justification I needed. As far as being attracted to expensive pens, for me It's definitely not the price tag that draws me in. It's something about the pen itself that draws me in. They cost what they cost just like anything else. It's worth the price if it's something you want.
    Cogito, ergo sum
    -- René Descartes 1637

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to digitalsedition For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 19th, 2020), catbert (September 20th, 2020), FredRydr (September 20th, 2020), Jon Szanto (September 19th, 2020), manoeuver (September 20th, 2020), Ole Juul (September 19th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 19th, 2020), TFarnon (September 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsedition View Post
    Hello all. I made an account here just to weigh into the conversation and then I didn't post anything because I thought "wtf do I know?" I'm new to all this. Anyway. I'm new to fountain pens. I've only been playing around with them for about a month. I was moving around some old boxes that belonged to my grandparents last month when I came across an old Kaweco Sport. Memories flooded back to me of stealing gramps "screwdriver" pens when I was a kid and here I am. I hopped online and started doing research. So far I have ordered another Kaweco Sport but in stainless steel and a Kaweco Liliput in steel too. Today I have a Kaweco Supra in steel (see the theme here lol) arriving that I am pretty excited about. I found this site when looking into all the hype I saw about Noodlers inks and the fellow who runs it.

I caught SBREBROWNs video on youtube and it temporarily delayed my supra purchase. I kind of questioned why it was that I wanted these pens. The Kawecos I was buying weren't close to the Visconti's I've been drooling over.. In the end I decided that I was going to get what I wanted and that was all the justification I needed. As far as being attracted to expensive pens, for me It's definitely not the price tag that draws me in. It's something about the pen itself that draws me in. They cost what they cost just like anything else. It's worth the price if it's something you want.
    Well said.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

digitalsedition (September 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsedition View Post
    As far as being attracted to expensive pens, for me It's definitely not the price tag that draws me in. It's something about the pen itself that draws me in. They cost what they cost just like anything else. It's worth the price if it's something you want.
    As Jon Szanto did in his earlier post, I think you summarized nicely what the majority of us here feel about the correlation between "expensive" and "attractive pens". So good job!

And also your story about your grandfather's "screwdriver pen" made me smile, what a precious memory.

That's all really, welcome to the group and hope to see upcoming posts from you soon.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 20th, 2020), digitalsedition (September 20th, 2020), Jon Szanto (September 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

As Jon Szanto did in his earlier post, I think you summarized nicely what the majority of us here feel about the correlation between "expensive" and "attractive pens". So good job!

And also your story about your grandfather's "screwdriver pen" made me smile, what a precious memory.

That's all really, welcome to the group and hope to see upcoming posts from you soon.
    In retrospect I probably should have done a proper new to the forum post first but thank you for the welcome.
    Cogito, ergo sum
    -- René Descartes 1637

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    The common sentiment I've seen expressed around here is "More expensive is better than yours" or "cheap=garbage".
    The little-peen "I'm better than you" crowd champions things like these...expensive baubles.
    Then things must have recently changed a very great deal. For many years, Montblanc pens and their owners were regularly panned on the pen forums, as were all other "status symbol" pen owners. Limited edition pens designed to be collectibles were also heavily criticized. From what I have seen over the past 15 years, it was people outside of the forums who had the "My pen is very expensive, so I am better than you" attitude. Maybe things have changed around here, but I doubt it. The folks here are a pretty down to earth crowd.

Besides, it's not the price of a pen that counts, it's the size.
    Last edited by Pendragon; October 6th, 2020 at 02:02 AM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:

AzJon (October 6th, 2020), manoeuver (October 7th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (October 8th, 2020)