Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are all 100N nib units threaded?

Thanks

Default Re: Are all 100N nib units threaded?

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    I got unlucky and got a 100N style nib in a 400 with one of those cursed polystyrene collars. Cracked of course.
    Those are great nibs, also, a collar can be replaced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stoen View Post
    I got unlucky and got a 100N style nib in a 400 with one of those cursed polystyrene collars. Cracked of course.
    First few years of Pelikan 400 nibs are indeed exactly the same as 100N, and are completely interchangeable except for feeds and collars which are different. I believe the “fir-tree nibs” came into production as early as 1953.
    The change to the logo nibs (aka. xmas/fir tree/chevron nibs) happened in December of 1954. Specs for the nibs stayed the same dimensions wise though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mana For This Useful Post:

stoen (November 30th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mana View Post
    Those are great nibs, also, a collar can be replaced.
    I know, and i did, with a Custom Pen Parts collar. Still, you don’t expect one of those cracky collars on a 100N type nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mana View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stoen View Post
    First few years of Pelikan 400 nibs are indeed exactly the same as 100N, and are completely interchangeable except for feeds and collars which are different. I believe the “fir-tree nibs” came into production as early as 1953.
    The change to the logo nibs (aka. xmas/fir tree/chevron nibs) happened in December of 1954. Specs for the nibs stayed the same dimensions wise though.
    My remark might be a bit off topic or perhaps slightly generalizing. Yet, curiously enough, I just succeded in rather effortlessly putting a “fir tree” 400 nib into a 100 feed & collar unit, while waiting for the real thing yet to arrive. It all went “by the book”, and it now behaves and writes perfectly, although I’learned it neither would fit nor behave, and it neither behaves nor fits in most cases. These feed & collar were neither tweaked nor filed. I do see this rather as an exception to the general rule that a 400nib is compatible with pre-war 100N, but not with a pre-war 100. I know this is a non-recommedable practice, I would have never done it without some relevant experience and an “unstrained feel” under my fingers while tryng it. I don’t recommend anyone do it, I just mean to say there might be slightly more to the vintage Pelikan nib unit topic than regularly explained and discussed.

64987CCC-CB57-422F-A4DF-DA440CAC26D3.jpeg
    Last edited by stoen; December 6th, 2020 at 12:56 PM.