Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Springy"?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,388 Times in 1,453 Posts

Default Re: "Springy"?

Then there's the term "mushy" used in our classifieds to describe a nib in comparison to a stiffer nib.

Thanks

Thinking about this, since I have listed pens as having a nib with spring to it... That characteristic does effect the way the nib writes, and how the nib works with my hand. I do not like flexible nibs, especially wet noodle. I find even semi-flex hard to control. Spring though, I can deal with. It's a personal taste thing, but significant for me. I simply can not control, nor do I have the patience to learn how to control, a flex nib. If I see the word "flex" in a listing, I move on. But spring, I can live with. The distinction is important to me because while I avoid the one, the other may be interesting.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (September 16th, 2020), eachan (September 16th, 2020), FredRydr (September 16th, 2020), Ray-VIgo (September 16th, 2020), RobJohnson (September 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Then there's the term "mushy" used in our classifieds to describe a nib in comparison to a stiffer nib.
    I assume "mushy" is being used to describe the snap-back on the nib when flexing. I reckon this applies to most modern steel "flex" nibs and some gold ones. The Pilot Falcon has a very soft, non-snappy, flex, imo.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

penwash (September 16th, 2020)

Thanks

I have a Sailor 1911 with a 21K broad nib that I recently sent to Michael Masuyama to grind into a cursive italic. When I first queried him, I told him that I owned a few vintage Sheaffer and Parker pens from the 30s and 40s with slightly springy stub nibs, and I asked him if it were possible to make the 1911's nib behave similarly. Turned out it wasn't, so I opted for the cursive italic. Here is Mr. Masuyama's reply to my query:

David,

I have read your first email as well as this one.
    Unfortunately, modification to add flex is only done to 14kt gold nibs. 18kt or 21kt alloy are too soft.

Few things you need to be aware of.
    Vintage flexible nibs are springy, elastic and strong due to the fact that they are "forged" nibs. Forging process makes metal strong,
    tenacious, and springy so that if you bend it, it bounces back to the original shape. 100% of modern nibs are made of "cold rolled" metal.
    A chunk of gold alloy (14kt, 18kt, 21kt, etc) are thinned going between 2 rollers. The thin metal plate is then die cut into the nib shape, and
    pressed into the nib form (for the arch) before the writing tip is attached and decorative stamping is applied. Cold rolled plate is not as strong or
    springy as a forged plate. In order to give some bounce to modern nibs, the nib plate is tapered. (thick at the tip and thinner toward the foot of the nib)

Adding flex modification involves "thinning" tines by shaving material off the back of nib tines so that the nib tines "give" more when pressed on the
    nib. Because the nibs becomes "thinner", 18kt gold alloy and 21kt gold alloy are too weak and such modification compromises the integrity of the
    nib.

If you want a little extra bounce to modern nibs, you need to pick a 14kt gold nib (ideally #6 size nib) for a modification base.
    There are so called "flexible" nibs available from a number of European brands. Aurora, Eversharp, etc. They are soft, but NOT necessarily
    flexible. I repair many sprung modern "flexible nibs" every week because folks were mislead that the nibs to be flexible and applied excessive
    pressure for line variations, ended up sprung the nib tines. I don't really care what they call those nibs. But they are not as springy or
    elastic as those of forged vintage nibs.

If you like the bounce feel of those old Sheaffer and Parker soft feel nibs, just stick with those and do not attempt to copy the feel of those nibs
    by modifying modern nibs. I can add some more bounce to modern 14kt gold nibs, but the feel is not the same. And if you apply a little too much
    flex to the modern modified flex added nibs, you end up springing the nib tines.

Hope this helps.

Michael
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

azkid (September 19th, 2020), carlos.q (September 19th, 2020), catbert (September 19th, 2020), FredRydr (September 19th, 2020), Hawker800 (September 19th, 2020), Jon Szanto (Yesterday), Ole Juul (September 19th, 2020), Pterodactylus (September 19th, 2020), Ray-VIgo (Today), SchaumburgSwan (September 19th, 2020), silverlifter (September 19th, 2020)

Thanks

That's a really nice way to put it. It describes what I have noticed as the difference in feel between, say a 1930s Sheaffer Feathertouch and a modern Pelikan M200.