Thread: Vintage post cards

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Vintage post cards

As some of you know, I enjoy mailing vintage postcards, sometimes trying my best to mimic the old writing style and using vintage (but still good) postage stamps. So this article in the NYT caught my eye: Dated 1920, a Postcard Finally Gets Delivered I thought the explanation was simple, that someone recently dropped the 100-year-old card into a mailbox, but perhaps it was found under that old sink in the back room of the postoffice, and was simply tossed into outgoing mail.

00xp-postcard-image2-superJumbo.jpg
    Last edited by FredRydr; September 12th, 2020 at 08:41 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 12th, 2020), BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 12th, 2020), Chrissy (September 12th, 2020), Chuck Naill (September 16th, 2020), CrayonAngelss (September 12th, 2020), Dreck (September 12th, 2020), junglejim (September 12th, 2020), VertOlive (September 16th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Vintage post cards

Thanks, I love reading messages on old post cards. There's a guy in the Phila pen group and he keeps threatening to bring his collection of old post cards that I'd love to see. Given the pandemic, not likely to happen, sadly.

This house in Belding is still there, just outside Grand Rapids, MI. Looks like the typical small, Midwestern town.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

You beat me to it, Fred. Just saw this article in my news feeds and thought you'd appreciate it. I posted it and then found you already posted this.

You got me into vintage postcards, by the way. I've been using blank ones for Postcrossing and collecting used ones.

It's kind of fun seeing what sorts of locations warranted a postcard back in the day. ("Greetings from some random little town's curve in the road!" --I'm not even kidding).

Even more fascinating is seeing the variety of handwriting and inks (or pencil) used. I was thinking about posting some of them in case folks want to take a gander.

Back to the article, I really wished we had a resolution to this story because I'm curious to know more or at least know that the postcard arrived in the hands of a descenant.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 12th, 2020), FredRydr (September 12th, 2020)

Thanks

I love the old Post Cards and have searched Antique Stores to no avail............Etsy seems to have a few and ebay is to high.

Takes me back to another time...........an art preserved!!
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
    I love the old Post Cards and have searched Antique Stores to no avail............Etsy seems to have a few and ebay is to high.

Takes me back to another time...........an art preserved!!
    They don't seem to be very available here either. However, I remember Fred buying a large number not that long ago.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    ...I remember Fred buying a large number not that long ago.
    In more established retail antique stores, it's too late and the cards are marked a dollar and up. Go early to the antiques markets where the wholesalers are. I posted this example before of a find at a well-known antiques market in Pennsylvania, frequented weekly by antiques dealers to buy their inventory. This storage bin full of cards resulted in thousands at 3¢ each after culling unusable cards. They must have come from a dealer, because most were marked $1 or more in pencil, and many were in plastic sleeves. I am not going down the postcard rabbit hole and worry what they "might be worth." Used postcards with interesting handwriting are tucked in with letters to pen friends, and the remaining used cards are given away, typically on my pen show table for pen people to browse through (they sometimes buy a nearby pen).

Paper is heavy; I could hardly carry it to my car:
    IMG_3015.jpeg

In the wee hours of the morning:
    IMG_3014.jpeg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I've been getting mine from an eBay seller who sells lots of 50 for $10. Usually there's around 1/2 to 2/3 unused.

I'm not even sure if we have wholesaler antique markets out here like Fred describes but would rather spend a little more for the convenience of not searching in person.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    ...I remember Fred buying a large number not that long ago.
    In more established retail antique stores, it's too late and the cards are marked a dollar and up. Go early to the antiques markets where the wholesalers are. I posted this example before of a find at a well-known antiques market in Pennsylvania, frequented weekly by antiques dealers to buy their inventory. This storage bin full of cards resulted in thousands at 3¢ each after culling unusable cards. They must have come from a dealer, because most were marked $1 or more in pencil, and many were in plastic sleeves. I am not going down the postcard rabbit hole and worry what they "might be worth." Used postcards with interesting handwriting are tucked in with letters to pen friends, and the remaining used cards are given away, typically on my pen show table for pen people to browse through (they sometimes buy a nearby pen).

Paper is heavy; I could hardly carry it to my car:
    IMG_3015.jpeg
    The thing is, I could wake up as early as I can, I still won't find a box full of vintage/antique postcards in any "flea-market" nearby. Here in North Texas where I live, most of the stuff you see are just uninteresting junk from a decade or two ago, or uninteresting junk from the present
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I'm sure that even if I wake up in the middle of the night I'll never find a stash like that anywhere in this country.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I just bought a charming vintage postcard from Etsy which I’ll copy in order to produce my own Christmas postcards. It’s probably not the most economical source but they had exactly what I wanted.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I just bought a charming vintage postcard from Etsy which I’ll copy in order to produce my own Christmas postcards. It’s probably not the most economical source but they had exactly what I wanted.
    How interesting. Do you scan the image or take a photo of it?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I simply copy it on my printer, cut the copy to size, and apply a postcard backing. You’ll see one sometime toward December in your mail box.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

I simply copy it on my printer, cut the copy to size, and apply a postcard backing. You’ll see one sometime toward December in your mail box.
    Thank you for that. I have tried printing a photograph or cutting out something interesting from a magazine and sticking it onto a piece of card, but only ever used plain card without the postcard backing.