Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many use their pens for Journaling?

Thanks

Default How many use their pens for Journaling?

Just wondering how many here actually use your pens for Journaling?

And if so, what kind of Journaling? Personal, travel, Hobbies, cigars, cooking, wine, etc?
    Last edited by Bisquitlips; March 27th, 2024 at 02:11 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bisquitlips For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 27th, 2024)

Thanks

Default Re: How many use their pens for Journaling?

Personal journaling is the bulk of my writing, and I use fountain pens for all of it.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 27th, 2024), BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 27th, 2024), dneal (March 29th, 2024), forester (March 27th, 2024), Lloyd (March 28th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,746 Posts

A. Yes.
    B. Everything.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 27th, 2024), BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 27th, 2024), dneal (March 29th, 2024), forester (March 27th, 2024)

Thanks

I started keeping a journal decades before journal became a verb.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PPPR For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 27th, 2024), BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 27th, 2024), forester (March 27th, 2024), iosepus (April 1st, 2024), Lloyd (March 28th, 2024), Niner (March 30th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 581 Posts

Yes. Journaling is my primary pen use. I keep what I consider a "regular" journal which consists of narrative writing about my day, thoughts, plans, things I've learned, etc. I also keep a Hobonichi that acts as a planner and daily log (meals, where I go, tasks done, etc.). Those are used daily.

On an "as desired" basis, I also keep a "positivity journal" wherein I write only happy things - gratitude, happy events, etc. Negative comments not allowed. And I sometimes make entries in my "hymn journal" wherein I write the lyrics of the hymn, summarize linked scriptures, and write my thoughts on both (personal improvement, beliefs, lessons taught, etc.). Finally, I have a notebook in which I will scribble notes on fictional books that are part of a series when I don't have the next book already (so that I can review my notes when the next book comes out, to remind myself where we left off).

I got a Stalogy a year ago, intending to keep a cat log book when I got Klaw (first kitten in many years), but the beginning of cat life was too hectic and I never got started. (I'll have to find some other use for the Stalogy.)

Other than journaling, I sometimes write letters (far too long after receiving the letter I'm answering...), do logic puzzles, and of course, ink reviews.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 27th, 2024), BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 27th, 2024), forester (March 27th, 2024), manoeuver (March 29th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (March 27th, 2024), Yazeh (March 27th, 2024)

Thanks

Anyone keep a 'commonplace' book? Or is that just a word in vogue?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 27th, 2024), dneal (March 29th, 2024), forester (March 29th, 2024)

Thanks

Yes. While I use my pens mostly to write letters, I have journaled for several years.

At first I wrote in a variety of notebooks, then narrowed it down to a Leuchtturm 1917 A4+, and since 1923 a Hobonichi Techo Cousin A5 in which I record daily weather, dining out, how I slept, quotes, notes of significant events, my French word of the day, and pencil sketches of my astronomical observations.

Since 2003 I’ve kept a separate Gratitude Journal in A6 pocket notebooks of things I am grateful for, and began doing it daily in 2010. Currently writing entry number 37, 815 in book number 18.

When I bought a 4-inch refracting telescope in 1993, I started an Observatory Log in a ledger book bought at Warwick’s Book Store in La Jolla. After filling up the first book, a Leuchtturm 1917 A4+ became the new Observing Log.

July-5-2023-diary.jpgN F Drawing Better.jpgAttachment 83685
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; March 27th, 2024 at 10:14 AM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 27th, 2024), forester (March 29th, 2024), LizEF (March 27th, 2024), Lloyd (March 28th, 2024), VertOlive (March 28th, 2024), Yazeh (March 27th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I was unaware the word was in "vogue," which means I need to get out more. My first commonplace book was started in the summer of 1966 after learning what one was. It began with the summer reading list before primary school resumed. Still going strong.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PPPR For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 27th, 2024), manoeuver (March 29th, 2024)

Thanks

I keep a commonplace book that I mainly fill with quotations I find interesting. I also keep a five-year, five lines a day, diary. It's really interesting to look back and see what the family did on this day in year's past.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OCArt For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 27th, 2024), BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 28th, 2024), forester (March 29th, 2024), Lloyd (March 28th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (March 27th, 2024), Yazeh (March 27th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Yes. While I use my pens mostly to write letters, I have journaled for several years.

At first I wrote in a variety of notebooks, then narrowed it down to a Leuchtturm 1917 A4+, and since 1923 a Hobonichi Techo Cousin A5 in which I record daily weather, dining out, how I slept, quotes, notes of significant events, my French word of the day, and pencil sketches of my astronomical observations.

Since 2003 I’ve kept a separate Gratitude Journal in A6 pocket notebooks of things I am grateful for, and began doing it daily in 2010. Currently writing entry number 37, 815 in book number 18.

When I bought a 4-inch refracting telescope in 1993, I started an Observatory Log in a ledger book bought at Warwick’s Book Store in La Jolla. After filling up the first book, a Leuchtturm 1917 A4+ became the new Observing Log.

July-5-2023-diary.jpgN F Drawing Better.jpgAttachment 83685
    Seems like a Commonplace Book to me! 👍🏻

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 28th, 2024), BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 28th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I do. I have had journals since the age of 11. As a lonely girl in boarding school it was the perfect outlet, and I’ve been talking to myself in ink for the 55 years since. I used some sort of cheap Schaeffer with cartridges from the school supply as my first pen.

I also have a harp practice journal to record practice sessions, progress, repertoire, etc. using whatever FP is inked at the time.

I tried using a fountain pen for my fish tank journal, but kept forgetting to use waterproof inks and so ended up using a favorite mechanical pencil.

Oh. And I write letters of course.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (March 28th, 2024), forester (March 29th, 2024), fountainpenkid (March 29th, 2024), Robalone (March 29th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (March 29th, 2024)

Thanks

Yes.

I keep a journal of arts. So any play, film, book or gallery I come across I write a review for myself. I use Leuchteurm1917 books for that as the page numbers makes indexing easy. When I want to compare my thoughts on different Shakespeare or opera productions, then being able to find the review from five, ten or fifteen years ago is easier when you have an indexed journal.

I also have those zen as f*ck journals which I fill in from time to time.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (March 29th, 2024), VertOlive (April 1st, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Yes, although any semblance of proper usage is sorely lacking; and of organization there is none.

Most of what ends up in it are notes scratched out on various pads, so it has become more of a binder.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

[QUOTE=dneal;415390]
    It's not a word in vogue. I recently bought a second hand copy of E M Forster's Commonplace book(s) that he kept. It's pretty much a writer's sketchbook, We can see what he was reading and thinking about and see how it influenced his writing.

These days, the favourites on one's search history might inform us. perhaps?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

yes

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Indeed, two of them (commonplace books): one for general knowledge bits, and the other dedicated to one subject area I've been involved with for 5 decades. Most of the material is just "I wrote it down and I'll just flip through until I find it", but particular bits or something I know I'll want to access easily are placed in a 2-page index in the front that gets added to as the book fills.

The sad part is that while I enjoy these, and even adorn the pages with illustrations or color, I find them more and more necessary as I age and become more porous-brained.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 30th, 2024 at 11:18 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (March 29th, 2024), VertOlive (April 1st, 2024)

Thanks

I get that. If I didn't keep a journal, I'd have no bloody idea what I did half a year ago.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 30th, 2024)

Thanks

I frankly don't have time for it! I do keep a log of health stats the VA asked me to keep -- each morning I log blood glucose, blood pressure, oximeter & pulse readings, for 3 different doctors tending my needs. Even that is a pita for me....but I do use fountain pens for it, when possible, ie, when I've got one inked up & nearby.

For note taking (which I do, bunches), afraid I for one emulate the Star Trek era. I could see the future there, & since, it's all about tablets for me. I mean, the ink & paper are so cheap!!!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ~JJ For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (April 1st, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

I did for many years but I don't now. Social media does it now. My husband does and he includes reading a poem every day.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (March 31st, 2024)

Thanks

I use some of my finer, drier nibs for journaling..............., however use mostly gel, vintage ballpoints, vintage mechanical pencils with 1.1 lead as there is just too much bleed through (don't shoot me). One the other hand I write a lot w/my fountain pens varying 2-5 pages both sides typically everyday.

While I enjoy writing with my vintage and modern fountain pens I still enjoy gel (Jet Pens), ballpoints with the right refill (Schneider XB) and my vintage MP's with soft 1.1 lead. Fred kind of got me hooked back up on vintage MP's.

The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

37. The Following User Says Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (April 2nd, 2024)