Thread: FS (VINTAGE): Waterman 23 Taper Cap, 58, 56V, 55 Boxed

Thanks

Default FS (VINTAGE): Waterman 23 Taper Cap, 58, 56V, 55 Boxed

I'm pleased to offer a batch of very special Watermans (c.1900s-20s) in some of the less common and more desirable sizes this weekend. All are fully restored and ready to write.

FULL ALBUM: https://imgur.com/a/wxdxvFS

Pastable link: https://imgur.com/a/wxdxvFS

Condition (n.b.): All pens listed below have been disassembled, cleaned and restored with new sacs installed in the last couple weeks. *Each of these pens is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other problems. Nibs have been adjusted when necessary to ensure that all lay down a smooth and consistent line.*

THESE PENS HAVE NO CRACKS, CHIPS, PERSONALIZATIONS, LOOSE OR MISSING PARTS, BENT NIBS, MISALIGNED TINES, BROKEN/WORN OFF TIPPING, OR THREADING ISSUES.

Line Widths and Writing Samples: To provide buyers with as much information as possible, I have started to adopt the following line width standards: XXF (.1-.2mm); XF (approx .3mm); F (approx .4mm); M (approx .6mm); B (approx .8mm). Nib flexibility is determined by variation (max line width under pressure) and softness (amount of pressure). Flexibility designations based on variation generally run as follows for an XF/F nib: Semi-Flex (approx. 1mm); Flex (1.2-1.9mm); Superflex (>2mm). All line width measurements are taken with a digital caliper but should be considered approximations providing a general guide. Width may vary slightly depending on type of ink and paper used as well as amount of pressure applied. All writing samples are on Rhodia dot paper using Waterman Serenity Blue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. c.1905 Waterman 23 Taper Cap ED (BCHR, eyedropper filler, 14k XXF Needlepoint Flex nib). This is a thin, long pen, measuring 5 3/4" capped. Introduced in 1891 and flourishing into the 1900s, Waterman's taper cap pens were of similar length and proportions as dip pens when posted. The taper cap is designed to lock into a notch in the section for secure capping and posting. This pen has a chased black hard rubber barrel and smooth hard rubber taper, as was standard from the factory. It's an eyedropper filler. The section unscrews for the barrel to filled with ink using an eyedropper/pipette – holds far more ink than a lever filler of the same size. What makes this model unusual is that it's a 23 with an Ideal #3 nib, a less common nib that went out of production around 1910. That 14k Ideal NY #3 yields Flexible variation with a Needlepoint width, laying down a smooth and consistent XXF line that widens to a 3B+ (approx 1.5mm) under moderate pressure (WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/LRHOvSQ). Dramatic line variation thanks to its needlepoint hairlines. Strongly responsive snap-back and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it a great choice for expressive and calligraphic writing styles. Condition: excellent to near mint Hard rubber retains its dark black color with virtually no oxidation. Smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel is factory deep while number stamp on barrel-end shows only light wear. A scarce variant for the Waterman collector. Price: $360 SOLD

2. 1904-10 Waterman 18 ED (smooth HR, NPT, eyedropper filler, 14k XF Superflex nib). This oversized model has a barrel girth of 13.7mm (cf. 11.1mm girth of a #52) and measures a hair over 5 3/4" capped. Aside from the colossal #20, Waterman's #8-sized pens were some of the largest mass-produced models the company made. Here they are set next to your standard Waterman 52 (DETAIL PHOTO: https://imgur.com/ZaMzjJL). This 18 is made of smooth, black hard rubber complemented by nickel-plated clip. It's an eyedropper filler. The section unscrews for the barrel to filled with ink using an eyedropper/pipette – holds enough ink to see you through an apocalypse. Commensurably oversized 14k #8 Ideal NY nib yields Super-Flexible variation. Owing to the value of the nib alone, I was *very* conservative in applying pressure for the writing sample. But even in handling it with kid gloves, I found it to lay down a smooth and consistent XF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.3mm) under very light pressure (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/yu8Nekk). Thin hairlines, precise and responsive snap-back, and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it an excellent choice for calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian. **Condition:** excellent [B]. Hard rubber retains its dark black color with virtually no oxidation. Smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Nickel-plated clip has a couple small spots around the edges where it has lost some of its original luster. Fully intact tipping on nib presents no unusual wear: DETAIL PHOTO: https://imgur.com/RNNYlex - LEFT). Manufacturer imprint on the barrel shows a little wear to the right side but is still deep, sharp, and fully legible as is the number stamp on barrel-end. A collector-grade example of an uncommon and uncommonly large pen that's also a wild writer. Price: $900 SOLD

3. c. 1918 Waterman 58 (smooth HR, NPT, lever filler, 14k F Manifold nib). This oversized model has a barrel girth of 14.5mm (cf. 11.1mm girth of a #52) and measures a hair over 6" capped. Waterman's #8-sized pens were some of the largest mass-produced models the company made. Here they are set next to your standard Waterman 52: https://imgur.com/ZaMzjJL. As you can see, the 58 is even larger than the massive 18 next to it. This 58 is made of smooth, black hard rubber complemented by nickel-plated hardware. Commensurably oversized 14k #8 nib with "Manifold" stamp lays down a firm yet smooth and consistent F line (WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/71dh5SG)). Condition: excellent. Hard rubber retains is deep black color with only minor oxidation (dark, dark brown) visible in direct sunlight. Surface is showing some age but has no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Nickel-plated trim shows light wear as well as a rough spot on the cap band directly below the clip. Fully intact tipping on nib presents no unusual wear: https://imgur.com/RNNYlex - RIGHT). Manufacturer imprints on the barrel are slightly weakened but still sharp, and fully legible as is the number stamp on barrel-end. A solid example of an iconic model that's getting tough to come by these days. Price: $710 $650 SOLD

4. c. 1918 Waterman 56V (BCHR, NPT, lever filler, 14k F Manifold nib). This vestpocket version of the oversized 56 measures 4 5/8" capped and 6 1/4" posted. Next to the 52V and 54V, the short and stocky 56 is relatively scarce. This one is made of black, chased hard rubber with nickel-plated furniture. 14k Ideal #6 nib with "Manifold" stamp lays down a firm, yet smooth an consistent F line (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/Cf8LMRC). Condition: This pen is clean on the whole aside from a rough spot on the cap, around which the chasing is worn away (see DETAIL PHOTO: https://imgur.com/up1LbwH). Possibly a spot of glue or something that someone tried to polish off(?) No other notable blemishes to the surface aside from a couple scratches on the barrel-end. And the rest of the chasing is sharp and deep with little wear at all. Hard rubber retains its dark black color with virtually no oxidation. Nickel-plated trim is clean apart from minor wear to the clip. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel and number stamp on barrel-end are factory deep and the latter still contains much of its original red fill. [B]Price: $280 $260 SOLD

5. c.1915 Waterman 55 in Box (BCHR, 18k GFT, lever filler, 14k XF Superflex nib). This one comes in its original factory box: https://imgur.com/m99UXDz. This oversized 55 measures a hair over 5 1/2" capped. It's made of black, chased hard rubber with 18k gold-filled trim (as marked on the clip), including 2 chunky barrel bands. Super-Flexible 14k Ideal #5 nib lays down a smooth and wetly consistent XF line that widens to a 4B+ (approx 2.1mm) under light pressure. Strong snap-back and reliable flow over its full range of flex make it another great choice for expressive and calligraphic writing styles such as Copperplate and Spencerian (see WRITING SAMPLE: https://imgur.com/F26AQpU). Condition: excellent. Hard rubber retains its dark black color with virtually no oxidation. Chasing is crisp and deep with no noteworthy wear (note that only middle portion of barrel is chased from the factory). Smooth, lustrous surface with no deep scratches or other notable blemishes. Gold-filled trim shows no brassing or other notable blemishes aside from some minor, pin-sized spots of wear on the sides of the clip. Manufacturer imprint on the barrel and number stamp on barrel-end are factory deep and fully legible. A clean example of an expressive writer for those who prefer their pens larger than typical vintage. Price:$380 SOLD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping: Pens purchased on the weekend are mailed on Tuesday. Otherwise they are mailed within 2 business days of payment. All pens that do not come with their original boxes are packaged in PVC or thick plastic tubes to protect them in transit. To CONUS locations the following shipping options are available:

USPS First-Class with tracking for $5 Due to the delivery delays brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic and worsened by postmaster general DeJoy, I strongly recommend that the Priority shipping option be chosen. All packages will include full insurance (covered by me). Rest assured that a full refund is guaranteed (issued through Paypal) in the event of a lost parcel and you will not have to wait until I receive a reimbursement from the USPS.

USPS Priority with tracking for $9

International Customers: Please contact me for shipping quote if located abroad (delivery confirmation required). (Note: due to the issues stated above, my international shipping options are currently limited. PM for more info). Please do not ask me to commit mail fraud by altering the declared value of a pen for customs.

New York Customers: For tax purposes, I am now required to add an 8% sales tax on any sale made in the state of NY. If your shipping address is in NY state, please let me know before payment to receive an adjusted total. Discounted shipping is included for NY State residents to help defray the extra cost.

Ordering: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs after a hold is placed, then pen(s) may become available to the next person.

Payment, & Guarantee: Payment by Paypal only. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something objectionable or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). Buyer must ship the return no later than 2 weeks after it was delivered to receive a refund. I've sold pens online for over a decade. For some of my previous offerings, please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) and Reddit's r/pen_swap (popcodswallop) where I have over 300 confirmed trades.
    Last edited by popcod; February 6th, 2022 at 12:56 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

Adicus (February 24th, 2022), damfino (January 31st, 2022), FredRydr (January 30th, 2022), NitroFish44 (January 30th, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: FS (VINTAGE): Waterman 23 Taper Cap, 58, 56V, 55 Boxed

Prices reduced on remaining pens

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

Pm sent

Thanks

All pens now sold – thanks everyone!