Thread: if the protestant faith had saints...

Thanks

Question if the protestant faith had saints...

who would they be?

Martin Luther and Henry VIII,

who else?

Thanks

Default Re: if the protestant faith had saints...

Whilst we are hypothesizing, if the protestant faith had not been developed, would the World have been different, I am thinking of a united Ireland, no antii Catholic persecution and legislation in England during the 16th and 17th centuries, the English Civil War may not have happened as Charles 1 may not have followed the concept of the Divine Right of Kings but may have still looked to Rome, no wars against France and Spain in the time of Elizabeth 1, perhaps even a less divided 21st century World, who can tell.

I am no expert on the Pilgrim Fathers but I think a large number left because they felt that the protestant Church of England was not following the teachings of the Bible, if the Mayflower had not sailed with English religous objectors on board would there be a different America today.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; September 17th, 2020 at 11:43 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

SIR (September 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Protestantism is not really a "faith", it's more a wide and disparate group of faiths, some of which have a long history of antagonism toward one another. I could see Anglicanism perhaps having Catholicesque saints, but not Puritanism (unless you count "the elect" of the world), or Quakerism, or yankee Congregationalism (where every church is its own body).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (September 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    Protestantism is not really a "faith", it's more a wide and disparate group of faiths, some of which have a long history of antagonism toward one another. I could see Anglicanism perhaps having Catholicesque saints, but not Puritanism (unless you count "the elect" of the world), or Quakerism, or yankee Congregationalism (where every church is its own body).
    My vicar, in the Anglican church, calls me a saint. I haven't asked how or why and perhaps I should, I think he uses the word as a job title rather than an award that has been bestowed, I think it means empowered to him and applies to many people in the Church.

Back on track to the original question, I think that there could be thousands, even millions, who could be called saints.

Thanks

i would've liked to add clarification, however historically, after apparently condemning tribute to the pope, the so-called 'protestant' peoples proceeded to revert to doing the same to random and seemingly arbitrarily 'elected' people in substitution.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

What Ray said. There is no single "Protestant faith." There are various congregations and churches and organizations that have a history that tires back to the Reformation. There are some denominations for whom the RC idea of a saint would be anathema. Some others, not so much.

If you're looking for hypocrisy in the religious practices of Protestants, well of course you'll find some. All faiths have this built in: they are human practices, after all.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

That's not to denigrate the question at all, but it's just a hard question to answer because it depends on which variation of Protestantism you're examining. I think the question heads in the interesting direction of whether there is a particular type of church structure or hierarchy that is more resistant to bad behavior than others. Is there a particular type of church structure that improves that faith's relationship with its neighbors? Or to reduce abuse or bad behavior among some of its hierarchy? Or adapting to life as a non-official religion (versus the religion can only thrive if it is made "official" by government)?

Kind of an interesting topic, though ultimately there may not be any hard evidence in one direction or another.

Thanks

It's a hard question to answer because you haven't included what you mean by "saint." The RC definition is not the same as the Protestant.

Thanks

ok, fair point, especially as saints in catholicism can be far from saintly in objective terms, however, a protestant saint is a protestant saint ad infinitum, right?

Thanks

All those who have received the righteousness of Christ (by faith alone)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post
    All those who have received the righteousness of Christ (by faith alone)
    "i don't know, but i breathe"

?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

It was only seeing this thread that made me aware they did not.

Thanks

Wasn’t the attribution of a miracle to the life/works of the would-be saint one of the catholic practices the protestants originally protested against? The question then would be a contradictio in terminis.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Linger For This Useful Post:

bunyip (November 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    ok, fair point, especially as saints in catholicism can be far from saintly in objective terms, however, a protestant saint is a protestant saint ad infinitum, right?
    I have read and re-read your question and cannot follow what you are asking. Not all protestants believe in eternal salvation, which it how I interpret your use ofad infinitum.

It appears you have a point you want to make: it might be clearer if you simply state it.